2013 Bay Area Headphone Meet & Headmasters (CAS4) Impressions Thread (8/9~8/11)
Aug 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #271 of 300
Thanks a lot Asr. That "musical dynamic" part you were talking about I also notice on the Denon's. I can only imagine how much better it is on the Fostex. I feel that aspect missing on the LCD-3 at times, like I did with the LCD-2 previously.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #272 of 300
Quote:
Thanks a lot Asr. That "musical dynamic" part you were talking about I also notice on the Denon's. I can only imagine how much better it is on the Fostex. I feel that aspect missing on the LCD-3 at times, like I did with the LCD-2 previously.

Really?

This is why I always stress that there is no such thing as "best" because we all interpret differently!

I hear greater dynamic contrasts through my Audeze LCD3 than any other headphone, including my
HD-800's!  It all depends on the source material, but I've heard that headphone achieve such amazing
dimensionality (the space between sounds) I forget about it all together and just get wrapped up in the music.

Right now, listening to Thom Yorke's "Black Swan" off his Eraser album (w/ LCD3, and my E.A.R HP4 tube
headphone amp - fed via Amarra and MYTEK Stereo192-DSD DAC) - whoa!  It's so liquid-like, with this black
background that's just captivating....

It's the people that try to argue about something they're interpreting that always gets me.
Its like me trying to talk somebody into being a Radiohead fan when they just don't like the music - 
you can't get passed that!

Now, that modded T5P w/ the bass - WHOOP WHOOP

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #273 of 300
Quote:
Really?

This is why I always stress that there is no such thing as "best" because we all interpret differently!

I hear greater dynamic contrasts through my Audeze LCD3 than any other headphone, including my
HD-800's!  It all depends on the source material, but I've heard that headphone achieve such amazing
dimensionality (the space between sounds) I forget about it all together and just get wrapped up in the music.

Right now, listening to Thom Yorke's "Black Swan" off his Eraser album (w/ LCD3, and my E.A.R HP4 tube
headphone amp - fed via Amarra and MYTEK Stereo192-DSD DAC) - whoa!  It's so liquid-like, with this black
background that's just captivating....

It's the people that try to argue about something they're interpreting that always gets me.
Its like me trying to talk somebody into being a Radiohead fan when they just don't like the music - 
you can't get passed that!

Now, that modded T5P w/ the bass - WHOOP WHOOP

Whoop whoop, caribou remix = awesome.

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #275 of 300
2nd/last batch of pics:

Cavalli Liquid Lightning MKII

Cavalli Liquid Gold

JPS Labs Abyss

unknown girl wearing the Audio-Technica W1000X

Alex of Audeze wearing the new closed Audeze headphones

Headmasters room from the right door

Headmasters room from the left door

mikemercer and his sweet metal smoking thingy

Head-Fier Bill-P and his wood-modded Audio-Technica ES10

the assembled gang at dinner showing the "Head-Fi gang sign"

the "select cut" of prime rib that some of us ordered

just outside the restaurant - in order from left to right, top to bottom starting at top-left: Bill-P, ?, Alex Cavalli of Cavalli Audio, ?, ?, ?, mikemercer, Woo Audio rep, HiFiGuy528, me, Alex Rosson of Audeze, warrenpchi, Astell & Kern rep (question marks denote people whose name I either forgot or didn't know)

Jawbone Jambox - a really cool wireless speaker device that put out deceptively large sound

shame hall: a Head-Fier wearing the Monster Beats Studio!
tongue.gif

and a pic from my mini-vacation after CAS in the Monterey Bay area near Garrapata State Park

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #276 of 300
Quote:
Warren checking out the Alpha Dogs. He looked very serious!

I was!  I was listening to The Sundays... and I take Harriet Wheeler very seriously.  BTW, just for the record, you captured my bad side... my outside. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Forgot to include 1 other gear impression....

Monster Beats Studio: At one point during the day I found myself in a room with these legendary headphones.
tongue.gif
So I took out my own MP3 player and checked 'em out on it with some music that I know really well. I'll be the first to admit that I'd love to bash the Beats if I could, but these didn't sound terrible. They were better than what I was expecting! Ok they weren't exactly "good" per se, and I can think of cheaper headphones that sound better (like the Koss KSC75), but they weren't a total piece of sonic crap either. I'd put them on the same level as the Sennheiser HD419 that I own, which retails for $60, so I guess the Beats Studio are comparable to $60 headphones?

LOL, I don't know if they can ever reverse opinion around here.  But having heard the old ones (blecch!) and the new ones, I must say that the new ones are a definite and noticeable improvement as well.  Still not ready for fi-time though. 
redface.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Did you pick up the free Chesky disc they were giving out?  It was the binaural+ Jazz In The New Harmonic album.

Apparently I missed that. If I'd seen it I know I would've picked it up, as I can never resist free music.
wink.gif

I'm more than happy to share.  PM me if you're interested. 
wink.gif

Quote:

just outside the restaurant - in order from left to right, top to bottom starting at top-left: Bill-P, ?, Alex Cavalli of Cavalli Audio, ?, ?, ?, mikemercer, Woo Audio rep, HiFiGuy528, me, Alex Rosson of Audeze, warrenpchi, Astell & Kern rep (question marks denote people whose name I either forgot or didn't know)

So thrilled that you captured these! 
smile.gif
  Would you mind if I used these as my cover images on Facebook?  It'd be personal and non-commercial use. 
smile.gif
  Also, to the extent that I can remember:

just outside the restaurant - in order from left to right, top to bottom starting at top-left: Bill-P, ?, Alex Cavalli of Cavalli Audio, ?, ?, John Williams, mikemercer, Simon Ho (Woo Audio), HiFiGuy528, me, Alex Rosson of Audeze, warrenpchi, Jimmy Moon (Astell & Kern)... (question marks denote people whose name I either forgot or didn't know)

Quote:

and a pic from my mini-vacation after CAS in the Monterey Bay area near Garrapata State Park

Wow...
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #278 of 300
Thanks!  Gonna put an attribution in there anyway.  Gotta respect someone's work right?  We wouldn't think of stealing someone's words without an attribution, why should photography be any different? 
smile.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #279 of 300
Aug 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #280 of 300
I'm visiting the Bay Area soon so if the meet was a month later I could've joined you guys. Oh well.  

Wow, a female at a headphone meet! :O  

As I posted in the other thread, it's hilarious how all the Asians are on one side of the table, the Caucasians on the other :D

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #281 of 300
Quote:
2nd/last batch of pics:

without any doubts, the picture more interesting
cool.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #284 of 300
Quote:

As I posted in the other thread, it's hilarious how all the Asians are on one side of the table, the Caucasians on the other :D

They didn't trust us watching their backs... And I don't blame them. 
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #285 of 300
Quote:

I don't think it was intentional, just sorta.... happened?

CAS4 was a blast and we had a great time hanging with all of you. It's always great to connect with our largest fan base while meeting new ones and sharing our latest advancements & improvements is just icing on the cake. Thanks to everyone that came by the table to check out our stuff. It wouldn't have been the same without our greatest supporters! 

By the way, great picture of the gigantic prime rib! A lot of had a tough time finishing even the medium cut of it. If anyone has a picture of us at Warren's birthday (at Baby Blues BBQ), please post them up.

Can't wait to do it with all of you again at RMAF!

EDIT: Great pictures Bill-P and Asr! Do you guys mind if we shared them on our Facebook page and Twitter feeds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back