2013 Bay Area Headphone Meet & Headmasters (CAS4) Impressions Thread (8/9~8/11)
Aug 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #286 of 300
Quote:
I'm visiting the Bay Area soon so if the meet was a month later I could've joined you guys. Oh well.

Wow, a female at a headphone meet! :O  

As I posted in the other thread, it's hilarious how all the Asians are on one side of the table, the Caucasians on the other :D

There were actually a handful of girls present at the meet. Hopefully this isn't too racist, but they were all Asian. xP 

I'm not sure how interested they are in audio though, they were mostly girlfriends who tagged along with their significant others who invest in this expensive hobby. 

As for table seating....I think it sorta just happened. It definitely wasn't intentional.

shame hall: a Head-Fier wearing the Monster Beats Studio! 
tongue.gif

And of course...I get caught listening to Monster Beats Studio with a big foolish grin on my face. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #287 of 300
You gotta admit those sound surprising, though, right?
tongue.gif

And next time I'll bring along MY girlfriend (gotta find one now) who'll definitely be interested in all of this stuff.

If she isn't interested, well, it's not gonna be hard to convert her over with my ES10 + Continental combo.
biggrin.gif

Just the ES10 and W1000X alone without any proper source were enough to put a grin on that girl's face.

Oh, and Wolfetan, I forgot to let you do that cable comparison! My bad. Next time for sure. I'll let you demo 3 cables, and all 3 will sound... different!

---------------------

Side note: if anyone would like to grab my photos and display them on their websites/Facebook profiles, etc... please feel free to!

I still have another batch inside the Head-Fi meet room, and then there are some other photos I took during dinner that I think I'll keep for blackmail purposes!
evil_smiley.gif
 Just kidding!

Jokes aside, I had the most fun at dinner. We all should have dinners more often!

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #288 of 300
Quote:
tongue.gif

And next time I'll bring along MY girlfriend (gotta find one now) who'll definitely be interested in all of this stuff.

If she isn't interested, well, it's not gonna be hard to convert her over with my ES10 + Continental combo.
biggrin.gif

Just the ES10 and W1000X alone without any proper source were enough to put a grin on that girl's face.

Oh, and Wolfetan, I forgot to let you do that cable comparison! My bad. Next time for sure. I'll let you demo 3 cables, and all 3 will sound... different!

---------------------

Side note: if anyone would like to grab my photos and display them on their websites/Facebook profiles, etc... please feel free to!

I still have another batch inside the Head-Fi meet room, and then there are some other photos I took during dinner that I think I'll keep for blackmail purposes!
evil_smiley.gif
 Just kidding!

Jokes aside, I had the most fun at dinner. We all should have dinners more often!

They weren't terrible. 
tongue_smile.gif

Still, I wouldn't get them for the simple reason of having ears too large to fit inside the cups. I wouldn't get the Momentums either, since they are more on-ear for me. 

Your modded ES10 and W1000x were really good though. If I weren't so happy with the KEF M500, I may have had to start an email chain with Martin after listening to your modded ES10.

The dinner was definitely one of the hi-lights of the meet. It was great being able to hang out with people on Head-fi. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #289 of 300
Quote:
I'm visiting the Bay Area soon so if the meet was a month later I could've joined you guys. Oh well.

Blue, you should join the SF/Bay Area Head-Fiers Group!  I believe they are planning a get together right now!

http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/21/sf-bay-area-head-fiers-group

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.  Pretty odd!  I'm following the House Rabbit Society as well as Penny and Sheldon... the latter is a Continental Giant and the inspiration for us getting our Flemish Giant.  

Awesome!  Yeah, I caught some vague references to a VPI bunny a while back, but I thought it was just a joke.  But apparently it's very very real.

Quote:
Quote:
As I posted in the other thread, it's hilarious how all the Asians are on one side of the table, the Caucasians on the other :D

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out, but I was sitting on the "Caucasian side" btw....

That's right!  Hahaha, CONSPIRACY THEORY BUSTED!

Quote:
They didn't trust us watching their backs... And I don't blame them. 
wink.gif

It's also easier to talk to people from across the table. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmoonAK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If anyone has a picture of us at Warren's birthday (at Baby Blues BBQ), please post them up.

Yup, I got some from Drew!

Quote:

Can't wait to do it with all of you again at RMAF!

Oh that is gonna be such a blast!  We were missing someone very important at CAS4... Jude!  At RMAF, we're gonna have Jude and Joe!  Jackpot! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
shame hall: a Head-Fier wearing the Monster Beats Studio! 
tongue.gif

And of course...I get caught listening to Monster Beats Studio with a big foolish grin on my face. 

Yeah, you know we're never gonna let you forget that right?  A lot of people in the room tried it, but you were the one caught in the mugshot! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

At my first meet, I stayed up until it ended and then just left.  It didn't even occur to me that people would get together for dinner.  STUPID ME.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #290 of 300
Quote:
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

---------------------

evil_smiley.gif
 Just kidding!

Bill, I was blown away from your modded ES10's and sounded wonderful even from my iPhone5. It was really impressive. I really want to try them out with the AK120.

Just posted your pictures on our Facebook page. Check em out here.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #291 of 300
Damn, Bill, i totally forgot. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #292 of 300
Quote:
By the way, great picture of the gigantic prime rib! A lot of had a tough time finishing even the medium cut of it. If anyone has a picture of us at Warren's birthday (at Baby Blues BBQ), please post them up.

EDIT: Great pictures Bill-P and Asr! Do you guys mind if we shared them on our Facebook page and Twitter feeds?

Yup I think we all agreed the prime rib was huge but I actually managed to finish all of mine. I was really hungry at that point after a long day.

Feel free to copy any pics.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #293 of 300
Quote:
Bill, I was blown away from your modded ES10's and sounded wonderful even from my iPhone5. It was really impressive. I really want to try them out with the AK120.

I told Bill that I was going to steal them. I just didn't get around to it. 
rolleyes.gif

Blown away indeed... as I said earlier, the biggest surprise of the show... for me.

And I want to hear them out of the AK120 as well. My own. But I have to buy one first.
L3000.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #294 of 300
Quote:

And I want to hear them out of the AK120 as well. My own. But I have to buy one first.
L3000.gif

Write-up coming soon, but if you promise not to tell anyone I'll share a little secret... it's definitely worth it. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #295 of 300
Quote:
They weren't terrible. 
tongue_smile.gif

Still, I wouldn't get them for the simple reason of having ears too large to fit inside the cups. I wouldn't get the Momentums either, since they are more on-ear for me. 

Your modded ES10 and W1000x were really good though. If I weren't so happy with the KEF M500, I may have had to start an email chain with Martin after listening to your modded ES10.

The dinner was definitely one of the hi-lights of the meet. It was great being able to hang out with people on Head-fi. 

Haha, my ears are big, too. They barely fit inside those ear cups. Oh wait... I just admitted I also put a pair of Beats on my head. Noooo!

Seriously, though, the best moment was when Alex Rosson... uhh... actually, never mind. Let's not disclose what he did to those Beats headphone.

And thanks! I was surprised people like the ES10 now, considering not a lot of them liked the stock one at the February meet. That just confirms for me that the modded one really sounds that much different, and quite possibly better! Full credits go to Martin for making that happen. What he did to the headphone is simply mind-blowing. I still can't believe what I'm hearing now out of the Continental pairing. This is like a match made in heaven!

Talking about which, I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Quote:

At my first meet, I stayed up until it ended and then just left.  It didn't even occur to me that people would get together for dinner.  STUPID ME.

Well, you couldn't just up and leave this time. We were celebrating your birthday! Hahaha. That was some low mid right there. It made my midrange head feel so warm inside.

Quote:

Just posted your pictures on our Facebook page. Check em out here.

Thanks! I really really liked the AK120 with the ES10!

Yeah, more than my iPhone 5. That little thing surprised me.

I'm thinking of a portable rig to couple with the ALO Continental v2 now. And the AK120 is top on my list as potential source! Will probably place an order sometime soon when I have "compacted" all of my gears. I'll need something to keep me entertained for that flight to Asia in June next year. Plus AK120 in brown case + my ES10 would make an awesome match not just for musicality but also for aesthetic!

And thanks for the Facebook mention! I posted a comment on there.

Quote:
Damn, Bill, i totally forgot. 

Haha, no worries. We may get a chance soon.

Quote:

I told Bill that I was going to steal them. I just didn't get around to it. 
rolleyes.gif

Blown away indeed... as I said earlier, the biggest surprise of the show... for me.

L3000.gif

I was wearing them on my neck the entire time for that reason!
biggrin.gif

They sound very nice out of AK120. That is one potent little player! And it looks very sleek to boot!

But... I must admit. I'm floored now when I hear the ES10 with ALO Continental v2. I thought not much else could be done to the ES10, but... man, am I wrong!

Hope I can have you listen to this combo soon. It's crazy good!

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #296 of 300

"Abyss - ugly and expensive, but at least it's uncomfortable..."

What do you want, everything for $5500? And it should sound good too? Geez, a little restraint please!

At least headfiers can see for themselves that there are at best two people left in this field with a sense of humus, er, humor...

...although the probability for it to be misunderstood and resented grows by the minute.

I would never mix any of it with babaganoush; except if pita was available.

Imagine having to clean it out after dipping the $5000 cans into that mess!

In any event, it is possible that after a humus and babaganoush bath the device would look and sound better, and the now-sqooshy, if wet padding will make it more comfortable too.

Thank you for the meal.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #297 of 300
Quote:

What do you want, everything for $5500? And it should sound good too? Geez, a little restraint please!

At least headfiers can see for themselves that there are at best two people left in this field with a sense of humus, er, humor...

...although the probability for it to be misunderstood and resented grows by the minute.

I would never mix any of it with babaganoush; except if pita was available.

Imagine having to clean it out after dipping the $5000 cans into that mess!

In any event, it is possible that after a humus and babaganoush bath the device would look and sound better, and the now-sqooshy, if wet padding will make it more comfortable too.

Thank you for the meal.

It sounds good, kinda.  Very capable.  Makes you pay attention to every detail.  Whether you want to or not.  But $5K?  I struggle (to put it very mildly) with the STAX 009 at that price, and they sound better to my ears.

I stand by my original statement quoted in italics above, though.

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #300 of 300
Quote:

I said to Alex as I put these on my head...
"Who designed these, Torquemada?"

I was expecting an electric current to shock me 'cuckoo' like Randle Patrick "Mac" McMurphy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back