2013 Bay Area Headphone Meet & Headmasters (CAS4) Impressions Thread (8/9~8/11)
Aug 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #211 of 300
Quote:
FWIW, we fed the modded T5P through a couple bass test tracks, and compared them to LCD2, LCD3, HD800, TH900, etc. I think the general consensus was that the bass, while tight, punchy, and relatively controlled, was also hella overpowering.

We're not saying the modded T5P are bad in any way, rather, praising it for its sound. The only thing is that the bass is sometimes overwhelming. 

Similarly, I am not implying you guys saying it in any bad way. I have mentioned several times, I was just surprised and habitually, tried to find out the reason which I probably shouldn't have done. 

p.s. I just noticed that most who felt DN5p is not so bass heavy wear glasses, as 5p is a closed-back, the lack of total sealing might as well cause a lot difference.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #212 of 300
Quote:
Cool, I'll probably just send you my review in a few weeks:). You can critique me on it too.

IF you want that, sure!
Or I'd just look forward to reading the review.

and 
  1. @shane55
that moment was pure bliss shared by MANY!

but I agree your photo really captures the mood of the room too.

What FUN.  and you're truly welcome.  I'm just glad we got Alex to

come on over!  

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #213 of 300
Quote:

Similarly, I am not implying you guys saying it in any bad way. I have mentioned several times, I was just surprised and habitually, tried to find out the reason which I probably shouldn't have done. 

p.s. I just noticed that most who felt DN5p is not so bass heavy wear glasses, as 5p is a closed-back, the lack of total sealing might as well cause a lot difference.

there's the answer to why the bass level would be significantly less.  
size]
  Cheer Tim,  we found the answer to our differences.

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #214 of 300
But... I wear glasses. Not on a regular basis, but I wore glasses when I put those T5P on. And I still felt the bass to be a little bit much.

So I don't think it's because they wear glasses.

----

Anyway, I've pushed my W1000X away due to hearing both the Alpha Dogs and the closed-back Audeze prototype. Immediately after the meet, I knew that if I were to get one of those headphones, then my W1000X would be an orphan. And I don't like the thought. 
frown.gif

On a side note, though, the W1000X funded my purchase of an ALO Continental.

So I can't wait to hear what the "best portable headphone amplifier" sounds like. If it's all it's cracked up to be, then my portable rig would be complete with modded ES10 + Continental. 
beyersmile.png

And I must admit... I secretly wish that it would be a mini Studio Six...

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #215 of 300
Quote:
Fair enough about not going to full on impressions/review about the closed Audeze to maintain fair first impressions. Although a general description of the sound will be really helpful. For example, is it similar sounding to the LCD-2/3 or more fun and bassy like the TH-900? Is it also dark like the other Audeze's or a bit more energetic?

More of this.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #216 of 300
Quote:
But... I wear glasses. Not on a regular basis, but I wore glasses when I put those T5P on. And I still felt the bass to be a little bit much.

So I don't think it's because they wear glasses.

----

Anyway, I've pushed my W1000X away due to hearing both the Alpha Dogs and the closed-back Audeze prototype. Immediately after the meet, I knew that if I were to get one of those headphones, then my W1000X would be an orphan. And I don't like the thought. 
frown.gif

On a side note, though, the W1000X funded my purchase of an ALO Continental.

So I can't wait to hear what the "best portable headphone amplifier" sounds like. If it's all it's cracked up to be, then my portable rig would be complete with modded ES10 + Continental. 
beyersmile.png

And I must admit... I secretly wish that it would be a mini Studio Six...

A mini Studio Six...
What a thought!!

I know what you mean in terms of some headphone/gear planning being adjusted after hearing both of those cans!!

And the Continental, a KILLER piece there.  I just lent mine to my cousin.  I'm using my ALO International w/ my 
Astell & Kern AK100 as my goto hi rez portable right now - and my Sony PHA-1/iDevice for everything else.

I was admittedly close to backing-out of CAS 2013!!

We had just moved, my life's still in boxes, and bringing all that gear down in my John Cooperworks Mini isn't a small
task.  But, to say I'm relieved I bucked up is saying it lightly!!

Also:
When Warren and I managed to get into the Meet room the night before to scope it out, we weren't sure how things were
going to turn out.  Frank I worked his TAIL OFF, so that is not a reflection on him whatsoever, but those of you who were
there understand what I'm talkin' about - the room was tiny, not enough chairs/space/power/AC!!!!

But we made it a BLAST together.  Plus: With the ALO Studio Six I was constantly able to listen in while people tried out
my rig!!  That was a real treat.  

I also discovered what a damn good headphone amp my MYTEK Stereo-192 DSD DAC has
on-board!  LOL.  I've just been glued to using it as a DAC, but I'm listening to it right now w/ my Mad Dogs and loving it!

@Shane55's expression in his new avatar (and larger picture before it) says more than we ever could about that day I think.

Lots of tube-rollin' before you guys heard it.  I'm SO glad you dug it!!!!

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #217 of 300
Quote:

Also:
When Warren and I managed to get into the Meet room the night before to scope it out, we weren't sure how things were
going to turn out.  Frank I worked his TAIL OFF, so that is not a reflection on him whatsoever, but those of you who were
there understand what I'm talkin' about - the room was tiny, not enough chairs/space/power/AC!!!!  But we made it a BLAST together.

Oddly enough, there was no shortage of tables... omg, so many little tables! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #218 of 300
I had twenty tables set up so we could have had 40-50 in those two rooms.   The original list on the from page of the thread had 50 signed up and about 25 actually showed up.  The tables were there for the sign up if I know there were less I would had less tables and more space in the rooms. I should noted that on the original thread the ones that signed up and never showed up never said they were not coming so I had to plan for them to be there. Mike also said there were 12 skateboarder crew coming which would brought the total to 70 and none of that crew made it either. I set up for  what I though would come but we had less than we expected.  It is also a good thing we pulled one of the rooms back because we did not get the turnout at the meet we anticipated but we did have a huge headfi turnout at the Headmasters on Friday,Saturday and Sunday many of which never made the meet. Its hard to commit more space for a low turnout, so we will wait and see what will happen for next year.  There also were 40 chairs in the room and we had more than we really needed. I had the room re-worked when I got there Thursday and there were only ten tables set up so we added 10 more tables with another 20 chairs.

I am glad that the ones who were there enjoyed the meet and had a great time and enjoyed the show also. I also was very pleased with the traffic in the Headmasters for all three days.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #219 of 300
Quote:
I had twenty tables set up so we could have had 40-50 in those two rooms.   The original list on the from page of the thread had 58 signed up and about 25 actually showed up.  The tables were there for the sign up if I know there were less I would had less tables and more space in the rooms. I should noted that on the original thread the ones that signed up and never showed up never said they were not coming so I had to plan for them to be there. Mike also said there were 12 skateboarder crew coming which would brought the total to 70 and none of that crew made it either. I set up for  what I though would come but we had less than we expected.  It is also a good thing we pulled one of the rooms back because we did not get the turnout at the meet we anticipated but we did have a huge headfi turnout at the Headmasters on Friday,Saturday and Sunday many of which never made the meet. Its hard to commit more space for a low turnout, so we will wait and see what will happen for next year.  There also were 40 chairs in the room and we had more than we really needed. I had the room re-worked when I got there Thursday and there were only ten tables set up so we added 10 more tables with another 20 chairs.

I am glad that the ones who were there enjoyed the meet and had a great time and enjoyed the show also. I also was very pleased with the traffic in the Headmasters for all three days.

I think that may be the hardest part of the "meet" portion.  We all get excited, and say we'll be there, and then life gets in the way.  I'm stoked I'm 2 for 2 this year.  I missed the bay area meets 3 years running, and I really wanted to be there!  I don't know how you plan for a fickle bunch with no commercial reason to be there.  People make it if they can, and don't if they can't.  I will say that manners and common courtesy really kinda demands a heads up that you are pulling out, unless an emergency comes up...

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #220 of 300
I had also seen the same thing happen at the NY meet. Tom had about 85 on the list sign up and about half showed up.  I was anticipating about 35-40 but we were shy of that at the meet but had a very large turnout at the Headmaster event and show. The goal I set for the show was largely very successful and would have liked to see more at the meet but life does get in the way sometimes as you said. The people there had a great time and I was in and out as I had some rooms that I covered also and my meet and headmaster report should be up early next week. In any event you need to set up the room for what you have signed  so if everyone did show up we had the space for them set up. It wa snot big deal for us as the hotel di all the work
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #221 of 300
Quote:
I had twenty tables set up so we could have had 40-50 in those two rooms.   The original list on the from page of the thread had 50 signed up and about 25 actually showed up.  The tables were there for the sign up if I know there were less I would had less tables and more space in the rooms. I should note that on the original thread the ones that signed up and never showed up never said they were not coming so I had to plan for them to be there.

Lol, unless you have some special powers over time and space that I don't know about, there was nothing you could have done about that Frank.  That's usually what happens, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. 

Quote:
I think that may be the hardest part of the "meet" portion.  We all get excited, and say we'll be there, and then life gets in the way.  I'm stoked I'm 2 for 2 this year.  I missed the bay area meets 3 years running, and I really wanted to be there!  I don't know how you plan for a fickle bunch with no commercial reason to be there.  People make it if they can, and don't if they can't.  I will say that manners and common courtesy really kinda demands a heads up that you are pulling out, unless an emergency comes up...

For the most part though, people do post that they can't make it.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #222 of 300
Looks as though everybody who could go, enjoyed themselves, even as work had me tied up.
triportsad.gif
Anybody have reviews planned for the coming week, of any of the headphones at the Meet?  Would be nice to have some recommendations for a headset that will work with my Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded.  The Texas Instruments® TP6120A2 in the XONAR® Essence™ STX™ is driving my impedance requirement, as a 10.7Ω transformerless power amp needs at least 100Ω of load for damping; I'm using 120Ω typical, per IEC 61938-1996, for my baseline, although anything in the 100-600Ω range is acceptable.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #223 of 300
Looks as though everybody who could go, enjoyed themselves, even as work had me tied up. :triportsad: Anybody have reviews planned for the coming week, of any of the headphones at the Meet?  Would be nice to have some recommendations for a headset that will work with my Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded.  The Texas Instruments® TP6120A2 in the XONAR® Essence™ STX™ is driving my impedance requirement, as a 10.7Ω transformerless power amp needs at least 100Ω of load for damping; I'm using 120Ω typical, per IEC 61938-1996, for my baseline, although anything in the 100-600Ω range is acceptable.

You probably do not need to worry too much about damping factor, as headphones have good mechanical damping themselves. The low damping factor does usually softens the sound though, but not necessarily in a bad way

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #224 of 300
When I tested the damping factor settings on the Teac amp using LCD2 and 3, it made a massive difference to bass, and less so on overall tonality.  On the Senns, not as much difference.  But I have no numbers to even compare whether this relates to the points above. 

Also, in one conversation recently about a planar magnetic, I heard something slightly off in certain passages, and it was suggested to be the panel resonance.  I'm curious if damping factor could affect its audibility.  

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #225 of 300
Quote:
When I tested the damping factor settings on the Teac amp using LCD2 and 3, it made a massive difference to bass, and less so on overall tonality.  On the Senns, not as much difference.  But I have no numbers to even compare whether this relates to the points above. 

Also, in one conversation recently about a planar magnetic, I heard something slightly off in certain passages, and it was suggested to be the panel resonance.  I'm curious if damping factor could affect its audibility.  

I'm SO psyched you mention damping factor.  As that's what I look for in power amps for my two-channel system (and other applications like desktop and portablr)!  
It's one of the reasons I still rock a Classe Audio DR9 (the last David Reich-designed Classe Audio amp - pre B&W owned Classe) in my main system!

Damping factor in an amp can affect lots of things sonically in the transducer
- but you touched on the area where I experience the greatest audible differences:
The low end and lower-midrange.

when you say "slightly off" do you mean you've heard these "passages" sound differently through another rig, which you felt was more accurate?
Or just that things felt off, like something you can't put your finger on?

I only ask because getting into the audible impact of panel resonance, well, that's not subtle usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back