2013 Bay Area Headphone Meet & Headmasters (CAS4) Impressions Thread (8/9~8/11)
Aug 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #181 of 300
Quote:
So about this DN1 (the "prototype" version right now is named the Cor Caroli Lite). I actually wanted to hear his products before commenting, but a higher being graced me with that opportunity... and pretty much cemented my view on this guy.

The maker (Music_Daedalus) has made constant attacks on pretty much every big amp maker in the US (that includes Eddie Current, Cavalli, KG, Pete Millet etc.) on the chinese forums, either in the form of sarcastic remarks at how much their stuff sucks (sound.. materials.. circuit.. you name it) or else straight up saying how he knows better then them, and he can do better. When asked why he wouldn't this post stuff on head-fi (put up or shut up), where he could argue with a much larger DIY community (aka people with much more knowledge about this stuff)... no response. Maybe he's afraid of getting called out, or maybe he's afraid of what people will say after they see the inside of one of his amps. Or he could prove me wrong...

Man up and post the internals of that 4000 USD DN1. Go on.

And don't post the souped up versions (there is a 9100$ "completed" version he made for his friend, hahahahah... I think it's been a year and it's still not completed) Nah, I don't think he will... I mean you can't judge an amps sound just from the materials, but for a guy who keeps on harping on how other people's materials are cheap/ crappy (the most used insult in his repertoire is "overpriced").... Lemme put it this way, when you hold the amp you can feel that the only real heft is in the transformer which is on one side, while the other side is (almost) completely empty.

He actually posted a little escapade of his at the Cavalli table during this meet, where he says Alex clearly didn't like him right when he arrived (I doubt Alex even knows who he is), and then proceeds to "save" the entire rig by changing his cables in... I think he called the Liquid Lightning a souped up 727 (sonically) somewhere in that thread (and of course all its "deficiencies" could be rectified with a cable change.. his cable), but then again he got banned right after posting it so I can only
rolleyes.gif

Oh right he's got a stat amp in the works. (Among other things.. such a CDP and  DAC).

He also states that his amp/products can beat them all (again, include various jabs at how much the others are inadequate). In fact he started making stuff because everything available is inadequate, or so he says. He also makes cables (compares his third tier 500$ on par with a Nordost Valhalla, while his second tier beats anything out there ...go ahead and check it out  https://sites.google.com/a/cornell.edu/audio-dnya/), vibropods (http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=20910347261     - - link to China's version of ebay where he has a shop... feel free to view his other offerings), and even his own racks...

Anyways I recently had the chance to hear this amp (which btw can only be purchased with one of his handmade power cables for the amp), and uhh what? It's tuned for a specific kind of sound (I can see it doing well for ACG music... piano sounded overly bright but overall not bad). Catch is for 4000 usd the only thing it did well with was an HD800. I tried the TH900, Qualia 010, and a bunch of other phones on them (the 010 with this amp sounded as if I had two laptop speakers strapped to my head). As for claims of driving orthos and K1000's .. Nope. Couldn't even drive my YH100s.

huh...it is always easy to make things up...

Constant attack? Well, in all these forums there is a tendency to worship these amps for their scarcity. What I did is just point out these amp are not perfect and have their trade-offs as will. II also did say no audio circuits is really anything new and audio components are not priced on cost, when someone praised the some amp so much and said the component is so good and it worth the price it charges.  If you call this constant attack. Fine.

Keep making stuff up please, $9100 amp, I never heard of it, along with the $3000 repair fee. Or do you mean the one Jay ordered. Yeah, it has been a year since I start making it, it is completed though and he is picking it up. The price is $7000 since he asked for fancy caps like Audio Notes. Interesting enough, he has been patient and has always been happy with my other stuff, while you guys are being sarcastic about it.

I prefer BHSE to LL at the meet Well, I know you prefer LL to BHSE when driving 009, so it is just a matter of taste, why so agitated?

Similar for abyss,  Alex was quite unhappy about the cable swapping though, anyway only 2 people including me heard it. It does sound better to me, might not to you.

And, I got banned because there are JPS and Cavalli dealer in that forum, simple as that.

For cables, the comments are actually from owners. Smilence once compared the tier 3 with the JPS aluminata, commenting aluminata is more controlled but lacks the liveliness in comparison.

Yes, I got a stat amp at work, for my HE60, I got an amp at work, for my podium sound speakers. After all, I start making all the stuff because nothing out there complete fits my need (if you translate this to everything is inadequate, fine). If it happens to suit your taste, be my guest, I need to cover up for development cost after all.

The websites does help me when people ask do you have a taobao shop for a product list or description, I have not updated it for a while though.

Yeah, you recently got the chance to hear a damaged/repaired-numerous-times DN1. First it does use a neutrik powercon connector but it does comes with a stock cable. The amp was half destroyed by rough handling during shipping. Fortunately and Unfortunately, there is a plethora of audio repair shop back in China, so the owner let them fix it instead of sending it back. Should I also note that just before your meet, a transistor was destroyed and swapped out and even the owner did comment that the amp is half broken at the meet.

So overall, how does it feel scrapping all over others works?
Quote:
I think I heard the same Dyna amp earlier this year at CHANGFest, and I do have to admit it was pretty darn good with the HD800s, although I wasn't familiar with any of the recordings. The only issue I would have had is that the setup seemed tonally colored to make the HD800s pleasant - and the HD800s really are necessarily a headphone I would describe as pleasant sounding. (I guess his could be either a good or a bad thing.) Still, I did consider his setup with the HD800 one of the more notable ones (top 3) at the meet.

Now I've heard second hand on numerous occasions that he's crapped all over other people's stuff, but I don't know if this is true. I went to bbs.headphoneclub.com (a Chinese forum) where I noticed his account was banned. Maybe his statements were something lost in translation? I know English is not his first language. Anyways, I don't have a beef against him, and he seemed pleasant enough to me when I spoke with him.

He should probably be an MOT if he's selling the stuff.

Well, the one your heard did has a wiring problem so one channel is out of phase. The new one has numerous improvements. Hopefully you could get a chance to hear it again. The pleasant sounding is mainly by the recable though. This time, it is driving LCD2 and TH900 and sound as good.

I think what they said about me crapping other people's stuff is about the 307a. One guy get a 307a and posted on the forum about how prestige it is and the silver transformer it has. Then another guy went on commenting about how transformers are important. So I just said, before trying different transformer, why not first try to use one with impedance matched better to headphones rather than a 3K:8ohm speaker transformer. It was merely a suggestion since I know some people felt BA does not drive high impedance as well as lower impedance ones. But it was taken as I was point out a design failure, so they started to translate my comments (based on their understanding) to somewhere, probably here, to let craig comment on it. I remember the answer from craig is for headphones, voltage transfer is more important than power transfer, so it is not that important to match like speakers. So they use this to prove that I am wrong and the BA and 307a is doing it the right way and ask me to post my idea on head-fi though I am not interested in proving who's right and I was just presenting an idea that not many people have tried.

p.s. I never openly sell or promote any of my stuff on this forum? Do I still need to be a MOT?

Quote:
it is a very serious issue, I wish Dafangwoo has proof before accusing the builder...it's against the law and you can call police if the maker does refuse to repair it unless you pay for upgrade, the amount of money involved is enough to get the police to work.

I guess it is equally serious to spread ungrounded accusations. There is one amp, which is the one En_R heard, I found need repairing, based on feedback from others. It was half-destroyed by shipping. "Repair" numerous times by others, so it become hard to determine the condition and come up with a repairing plan. To make things worse, my laptop died and I lost the orignal pcb file. So I did offered him, remembering once he asked about the preamp upgrade, an option to give him the complete new amp of newer version with upgrade (more costly than the original one he got). Otherwise he could just send it back for repair. I guess after a few people, it becomes I refuse to repair unless pay for upgrade and with solid proof lol.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #182 of 300
Quote:
Are you kidding with us here??? less bass than lcd2 or 3.  roflmao.  Those people probably have problem with their hearing.  I dare to say not a single person who listened to the modded t5p would agree with this statement, myself included.  While mid and high were still there and clear, bass was just overwhelming and so forward/in your face that it's all you will hear/feel.  Maybe a track with much spread out bass and light acoustic bass would give a different impression.

I took the time to forward your comment to the other 3 owners. While they did not roflmao, they were almost terrified and asked me what did they plug the 5p into to make it become like that.

I guess it just goes down to different ways of perception and it is just interesting to see this much discrepancies.

Anyway, I have no interest in argue who's right. After all, It is easy enough for me to shave off the bass if anybody request.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #183 of 300
Quote:

Thanks for the coverage, Mike!

I'm glad my photos came in handy after all.

Just one note: the modded T5P wasn't mine. It was Liu Tim's. Please add that if you can.

I really want to make it to RMAF, but it doesn't look like my schedule would allow it.
frown.gif

Ah well, I hope I'll see you again at the next SF Bay Area meet! They already made a thread for it.

Actually that modded T5p it's mine, Tim Liu is my friend. lol.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #184 of 300
I guess this whole thing about Music Daedalus is just personal...and I shall not get involved.

Only one request, gents, before you say something to make Music Daedalus a demon, crazy businessman, or accuse him and his fellows are idiots, please think about the LAW. It is interesting to see your conversation as long as your know what you are saying.

I don't mind to see people throwing sand to other on forums and that's what forums for, please just don't easily accuse others are criminals. I guess dafangwoo is a Chinese and unaware of the law, so I'm telling you here, if what you said is true, call the police and see Music Daedalus ends in jail, report to head-fi and see the id to be banned forever, there is no need to argue in the thread.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #185 of 300
Quote:

Gotcha! I'll drop a comment there at Part-Time Audiophile in the meantime to give you props.

As for the criminality-related posts in this thread - wheew...

We've been having a BLAST recalling our time together gentlemen, lets keep things on
task here in the Headmasters Meet Impressions Thread.

I'm all about supporting those who do right, AND taking out those who don't, but it's for another place.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #186 of 300
Quote:
it's for another place.

I think we would all agree with that right fellas?  Feel free to start a new thread about it, but let's try to stay on topic here. 
smile.gif
  Thanks!

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #187 of 300
Quote:

Oh ya. I kept thinking "Liu Tim" because I "stole" that headphone from his table.

Anyway, congrats! That is one heck of a headphone that you have there!

And I'm already afflicted with G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) after hearing all of the nice equipments at this meet.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #188 of 300
Quote:

I think we would all agree with that right fellas?  Feel free to start a new thread about it, but let's try to stay on topic here. 
smile.gif
  Thanks!

Thank you!  

Now, about those closed Audeze cans...HOW DID THEY SOUND??

Sorry for yelling but four or six people have asked so far and I haven't seen any responses besides the "audio bliss" picture (not that it's a bad picture or anything...). 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #189 of 300
@mikemercer - Nice write-up of the show!  I'm so bummed I had to bail early, felt like poo that day.  I missed out on the closed back Audeze.  I notice that there are many comments, and almost zero impressions of this headphone.  I suspect a conspiracy of consideration to Audeze in exchange for the opportunity to listen to an unreleased product.  Kudos all.  @Shane55's photo really says it all anyway!

Thank you for the heads up and shout out to two folks I really like and respect - Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers) and Fritz Heiler (Fritz Speakers).  Both build a great product at a ridiculously fair price, both have wonderful voicing to their products (great ears, both of them), and both are really nice guys.  I'm glad you singled them out.

As a comment to reaching out to college students etc, good idea, (most) of them graduate (eventually), and many grow up to become consumers of audio gear to some degree or another.  Early training from my dad, and college got me hooked on audio.  An ipod, travel, and a lovely wife with whom I share quite limited common musical ground is what got me hooked on headphones.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #190 of 300
Quote:
@mikemercer - Nice write-up of the show!  I'm so bummed I had to bail early, felt like poo that day.  I missed out on the closed back Audeze.  I notice that there are many comments, and almost zero impressions of this headphone.  I suspect a conspiracy of consideration to Audeze in exchange for the opportunity to listen to an unreleased product.  Kudos all.  @Shane55's photo really says it all anyway!

Thank you for the heads up and shout out to two folks I really like and respect - Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers) and Fritz Heiler (Fritz Speakers).  Both build a great product at a ridiculously fair price, both have wonderful voicing to their products (great ears, both of them), and both are really nice guys.  I'm glad you singled them out.

As a comment to reaching out to college students etc, good idea, (most) of them graduate (eventually), and many grow up to become consumers of audio gear to some degree or another.  Early training from my dad, and college got me hooked on audio.  An ipod, travel, and a lovely wife with whom I share quite limited common musical ground is what got me hooked on headphones.

Now that you mention it, that does make sense...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #191 of 300
Quote:
Now, about those closed Audeze cans...HOW DID THEY SOUND??

Sorry for yelling but four or six people have asked so far and I haven't seen any responses besides the "audio bliss" picture (not that it's a bad picture or anything...). 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hahahaha! We like to keep you hangin'!

But honestly, I want to spend more time with that headphone. A looooooooottttttt more time.

I'd invite it in my home, take it to my room, lock the door, and... ahem...

Seriously, though, it's a sexy beast of audio bliss. Doesn't help that it also looks very very nice, and the ear pads are marvelously soft, comfortable, but tight, snug, and...

Thinking about it again makes me drool...

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #192 of 300
Quote:
 I notice that there are many comments, and almost zero impressions of this headphone.  I suspect a conspiracy of consideration to Audeze in exchange for the opportunity to listen to an unreleased product. 

+1

My suspicion as well. Lots of beautiful photos uploaded, and zero comment about the actual sound. I sense an unsaid agreement between Audeze and the people who attended. This is PERFECTLY FINE of course.
biggrin.gif
 Just wish it wasn't so and people could freely share.
Quote:

But honestly, I want to spend more time with that headphone. A looooooooottttttt more time.

Seriously, though, it's a sexy beast of audio bliss. Doesn't help that it also looks very very nice, and the ear pads are marvelously soft, comfortable, but tight, snug, and...

Hey Bill any clues to the possible price? Please tell me this thing isn't going to be more expensive than the LCD-3. PLEASE!

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #193 of 300
Honestly guys, there really wasn't that much time.  It was after breakdown for the meet, my rig happened to be one of the few still standing, and there were quite a few people in line to hear it so no one got a thorough impression.  In fact, I sacrificed my turn at it just so someone else could get a listen.

To post those rushed and incomplete impressions would be (IMO) doing a potential disservice to anyone looking to lay down money on it - and to Audeze themselves as it's not a final production unit.  My two cents on it. 
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #194 of 300
Quote:

Tease!!
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Honestly guys, there really wasn't that much time.  It was after breakdown for the meet, my rig happened to be one of the few still standing, and there were quite a few people in line to hear it so no one got a thorough impression.  In fact, I sacrificed my turn at it just so someone else could get a listen.

To post those rushed and incomplete impressions would be (IMO) doing a potential disservice to anyone looking to lay down money on it - and to Audeze themselves as it's not a final production unit.  My two cents on it. 
smile.gif

I understand, but I'm torn between waiting for these and saving up for LCD-3s.  Ah well, it will be awhile before I can afford either so I guess I can wait.
tongue.gif

I just hope Alex remembers I offered to beta-test them for him when we were at the LA meet.
biggrin.gif
  I'm probably on a list with 5000 others or so.
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #195 of 300
Quote:

smile.gif

Yep. That's exactly it. I'd also like to add that not a lot of people were familiar with the music, so they probably wouldn't know what to really say about it.

It's not really a lack of willingness from people, nor is there any "secret" agreement. People are just at a loss for words.

But then, we do have shane55's expression that says it all. Lucky I captured that at the right moment. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back