2013 Bay Area Headphone Meet & Headmasters (CAS4) Impressions Thread (8/9~8/11)
Aug 15, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #121 of 300
Thanks!!

biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #122 of 300
Any thoughts on the modded T5P, guys?

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #123 of 300
Let's see if I can post some pics from the home audio and headphone shows: 

Margules stuff was priced very low: 

Legacy speakers with, uh, I don't know: 

I was wearing a T-shirt with this exact meter on it, from this Ampex: 

VTL amps and (can't remember this familiar) speaker. 

Wilson with Spectral.  Love to get these through the house:

Same meter in this Otari (washed out by flash): 

Pass and Pass: 

Horns by, uh, need to look it up.

Voxativ speaker, a single driver similar to Lowther:

Magnificent specimen.  Not much tube rolling to do here.  Tubes are currently in production:

Downstairs, the Woo WA6SE:

And WA22, sold late Saturday so several of us were bummed on Sunday.  Said to tame the HD800 well.  

Woo unit for electrostatics.  Anyone evaluate this?  My quick listen seemed uninspiring. 

And the new kid that greeted me when I got home: Arthur the Flemish Giant. Knows which drawer contains veggies: 

Sleeping with his eyes covered: 

Are we properly recycling? 

Only approves of cereal made from oats: 

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #124 of 300
[size=larger][size=larger]"Hey, this receiver sucks. 
Who stole my stack of Schiit? 
And... I specifically said 'LARGE' headphones!"[/size][/size]

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #125 of 300
Quote:
Let's see if I can post some pics from the home audio and headphone shows: 

VTL amps and (can't remember this familiar) speaker. 

GREAT pics!

That's the Vivid Audio Giya in Luke Manley (of VTL) and Philip O'Hanlan's (Vivid, Luxman) room.
They look like the alien opera singer from the Fifth Element, but they sound fantastic when paired 
with the right gear!

The funny thing is, I'm experiencing a level of fidelity (with regards to micro and macro-dynamics)
right now through my E.A.R HP4 + Audeze LCD3 (Cardas Clear cable) then I ever have through systems
like this or others like it.

I'm consistently surprised and excited to be part of the personal audio revolution with you guys!

That said, I love my two-channel reference system, but I'm been having far more fun with my headphone
rigs over the last four years than I think I ever had during my time in the high end two-channel market!!

Headmasters was just another example of where the excitement and innovation was (not to mention growth).  
The two-channel community has been preaching to the converted since I got into this in 1994:
Same music from all the rooms.

At least we got lots of new music being played in the personal audio space too. 
I guess there will always be room in my life for my in-room stereo system - but not at 2:30AM at the level I'm playing
my headphone rig right now!!  
darthsmile.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #126 of 300
Quote:

The modded T5P had INSANE low end response!!!!

That headphone might be the only one I've heard that actually stomps my Perfect Sound dido's bass response,
and that's dangerous!!  To be brutally honest, I was so focused on the bottom end I can't comments on much else
or I'd be making s__ up.

I remember tossing on this Alix Perez track "Move Aside" (Featuring Foreign Beggars) and it just thumped.
I was very impressed, and I'm sure if the mids or highs got to me in a negative way I wouldn't have been so impressed
by the bass response and continued to listen for so long!!!!!!

loads of FUN

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #127 of 300
Great shots everyone. Stoney The legacy speakers which were one of my favorites that I listened too were being driven and had all Yplison electronics and an internal 1000W bass amp driving them and making the tunes. It also cpmes with a  room correction electronics and were dialed in perfectly for that room.  The Kron amps I missed listening to them but they look super cool.

Mike I agree that modded Beyer T5P was really neat and sounded excellent. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #133 of 300
Quote:

Edit: oops, wrong one. I read T50RP.

Anyway...

Bass.

Purely bass. At dangerous levels.

And IMO, way too much of it.

It wasn't just a bump. Bass was clearly accentuated compared to the rest of the range. It was like having a Digizoid ZO attached permanently.

The rest of the range was pretty okay. But bass was a bit overpowering, so it drowned out other things.

Funny enough, Daft Punk's Derezzed (the original version) didn't quite sound like I hoped it would. I heard "dat pressure" out of a pair of powered vintage Pioneer speakers, and dang, was it powerful. Out of the T5P, something still seemed lacking.

Just for funzies, some of us tried to push that T5P through a ZO2.

Yes, we tried to push that modded T5P through a ZO2!

Bass distorted out of pretty much any level on the ZO2. So it seems like the drivers were pushed to their absolute limits already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back