2011 College Football Thread
Oct 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #241 of 564
Snyder is Yoda. No doubt.

I'm feeling much like SweetA. Wish I cared less. Watching us collapse AGAIN and blow a double digit lead is tough to take. Our defense is awful - they can only hang in if our offense is dominating. Two three and outs and our de folds like a pup tent. The only saving grace is it was a beautiful evening and my son was with me and we had a nice time together. That's more important than the outcome.

tOSU's late collapse also was disheartening.

Grats to OU and LSU for dominating strong opponents. Props to the Deamon Dekes.

NU loses and ILL and ND win = bad day for me in CFB land.

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #242 of 564

Quote:
Not sure what's wrong with the Noles. They looked pretty nasty on defense when OU played them. 

Cliffs: Mark Stoops is an absolute pinhead.

I mean, he got the defense to make some solid progress last year, so I don't want to dismiss that entirely. But he has taken probably the best speed rusher in the country and tried to stand him up and run him up the a gap every darn down, where I have not seen him shed a single block. I get that everyone wants to be multiple, but we were only effective against OU when Brandon Jenkins had his hand in the ground, and the big German Bjoern could get singled. Now in that set, Werner gets doubled every time, and we never get pressure. And it's not like we weren't effective in the 4-3 against OU, we slowed down a really really good offense.

Just because the guy is going to be a 3-4 LB in the NFL doesn't mean you have to use him that way in college.

Edit: on a related note, congrats to Oklahoma on Mario Edwards Jr.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #244 of 564
Bad time to be a state of Florida fan. Florida, Florida State, and Miami all not doing so well. :frowning2:

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #245 of 564
Big ups to my Devils dominating the Utes on the road. ASU is pretty wracked with injuries but the backups are stepping up and playing great. What stands out to me is the reduction of stupid penalties plus the defense is really starting to get in a groove. The HUGE game is coming up next week in Eugene, no LaMichael James for the Quack Attack might make them ripe for an upset. Barner is no slouch though, so I'm not drinkin much of the upset kool-aid, just a sip or two.

PS- Stanford is quietly crushing peeps. Not much pub for those guys it seems. Is Luck the best QB prospect since Manning? Discuss!

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #246 of 564
Could be, but Kellen Moore has a similar rating, a higher completion percentage, more yards, and three more touchdowns but also three more picks. Also his team is #19 in passing yards while the Cardinal is at #32. Going by rating alone however neither is in the top five. The best QB for a top-ranked team by rating is Russell Wilson whose team is 29th in passing yards.

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #247 of 564
I agree Luck is the best pro prospect since Manning.  Height, strong arm, good mechanics, mobility, accuracy, smarts:  Luck has it all.  He's the proto-type pro QB.  Moore is every bit as good of college QB, but I'd rather be Luck's agent.  Wilson is a fantastic college player too but the pros aren't going to like his height.  I'd like to see Wilson get a chance though.

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #248 of 564
SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: on a related note, congrats to Oklahoma on Mario Edwards Jr.

I wish. That squirrel is going to look around at all the nuts. I don't trust a word once they break a commitment. Hell OU's two best DE's right now are three star Houstonian that was a late offer, plus a Lousiana boy whom LSU didn't bother to take a look at. The one five star is at least part of the rotation but off the a borderline bust off the bench as a Jr. now. 

Sometimes you just never know. 

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #249 of 564

Quote:
I agree Luck is the best pro prospect since Manning.  Height, strong arm, good mechanics, mobility, accuracy, smarts:  Luck has it all.  He's the proto-type pro QB.  Moore is every bit as good of college QB, but I'd rather be Luck's agent.  Wilson is a fantastic college player too but the pros aren't going to like his height.  I'd like to see Wilson get a chance though.

I think Wilson will get a chance, but he is not going to be a first round pick.  Maybe fourth round or so I think.  Luck is the top overall pick in next year's draft barring injury.  LOTS of teams need a new QB.  Although if he plays worse down the stretch, Landry Jones could be #1 overall.

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #250 of 564

Quote:
SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish. That squirrel is going to look around at all the nuts. I don't trust a word once they break a commitment. Hell OU's two best DE's right now are three star Houstonian that was a late offer, plus a Lousiana boy whom LSU didn't bother to take a look at. The one five star is at least part of the rotation but off the a borderline bust off the bench as a Jr. now. 

Sometimes you just never know. 

Yeah, that's a good point I guess. And still a long way until NSD. OU just seems like the most logical desitination.

It seems like we're pretty much out of it now though. All of a sudden Jelani Hamilton likes FSU again, not hard to read between the lines. 5 star decommits suck, but they really suck when they are legacy recruits.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #251 of 564
Crickets in this thread...what's the matter, does no Head-Fi'er have anything left to say about college football? ESPN has just monikered a name for this thread after the past week - Speechless Saturday. Luckily I, for one, am never speechless and could rant endlessly about how USC and the SEC cheat, er bend rules for the sensitive feelers out there. HOWEVER, let the new era of sensitive viro has begin. I have turned over a new leaf and shall now proclaim something I love about joe trailer's favorite sport.

I love College Gameday in the Pacific timezone. It's great to watch the old crew half dazed in the dark and crack jokes about how the Oregan fans need coffee. I say half those kids really need Xanax since we all know they're most likely in the middle of a bender. Blasters for everyone! ASU is in town! More on Oregon. I love their uni's. It's a schtick. It works. I also love their stadium. I've been there in person to watch Pac Ten refs rob OU in one of the greatest sports travesties thine eyes have ever witnessed. The fans were great. The stadium was absurdly loud. Extra points for the Duck cheerleaders whom didn't look like Hugh Hefner rejects like the Song Girls. Gimme next door Jane over haughty Candice any day. 

Pick time - the let's keep this thing going edition!

State over the Meatchicken - oh how the TV gods can make a 67-30 rivalry seem traditionally lucrative. Here's the truth. Big Blue is on the tail end of a blip, so Sparty can claim a little sun on its arse...again. 
OkSU over Fexas - in a state of panic ESPN has decided to allocate another $300 million to the LHN. The new strategy is to throw money at the problem.
Aggets over Baylet - the first loud S E C chants echo through Kyle Field; next year to be modified to P R O B A T I O N and O V E R S I G N.
Quacks over Pitchforks - after the big win, the Oregon facilitiies are upgraded to include Playboy bunnies akin to those that served the blokes in Apocalypse Now
OrSU over Mormans - extra special West Coast bonus pick. After all who really pays attention to football out there? God knows their populace doesn't. Maybe the Big Ten fans do when it's Rose Bowl time. That's about it.

Book it!

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #252 of 564
I'll take da Bears over the Agriculturals, it's most marginally interesting game as far as outcome goes for ranked teams go this week (yawn).

Interesting that Boise may join the Big East in a football-only deal, I think that would have worked in the Pac 12...

edit; does that mean football as the only sport, but academics still count?

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #253 of 564

Quote:
Crickets in this thread...what's the matter, does no Head-Fi'er have anything left to say about college football? 

As an Ohio State fan/alum, I've become too depressed to say much anymore.  I can't wait until basketball season....lol

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #254 of 564

Quote:
As an Ohio State fan/alum, I've become too depressed to say much anymore.  I can't wait until basketball season....lol

Hopefully you're watching now, the Bucks have the ball and a 10-point lead and it looks like they are on the way to the upset of the day with under 3 minutes left.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #255 of 564

Quote:

Hopefully you're watching now, the Bucks have the ball and a 10-point lead and it looks like they are on the way to the upset of the day with under 3 minutes left.

Yeah.  I watched it.  However, I really don't feel like pounding my chest after this one.  It was dumb (Fickell) and dumber (Zook) out there.  Illinois just mismanaged the game worse than Ohio State did.  Illinois turnovers were the difference.  Hopefully, Ohio State can make it through the bye week without any more embarrassing suspensions, arrests and/or NCAA allegations.  Then, it's time to take an epic beating at the hands of Wisconsin.  Good times.  At least some kind of bowl game is looking realistic right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back