2011 College Football Thread
Oct 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #256 of 564
The state of Oklahoma went 3-0 yesterday but went without a single pretty win. Oh well.

Next weekend looks pretty bad unless we get some upsets. OK State @ Mizzou could be one of them. Most of the ranked teams, however, play conference cupcakes.

USC/Notre Dame could be good. MSU/Wisconsin.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #257 of 564
I am big time anticipating the U-Dub/Sparty game. It will be my second real close look at the Badgers, this time against a fierce D and a steady, senior QB. Should they notch another impressive number, I might buy in more. On that note meatchicken/Lansings was awesome to watch. The wind added a wonderful strategy element in game full of big plays. As if there is any doubt that Meyer will be coaching again, he soft peddled any criticism of either coach although Hoke especially made several questionable decisions. Dantonio is just solid. As a result, Michigan State has been one of my favorite B1G teams to watch the last few years. 

My favorite game yesterday was KSU/Tech. It was a classic identity battle, with the ball control/possession team that came out on top. Honestly I caught myself watching that more than the OU game. The Sooners mailed that one in big time. 

There was no reason for OkSU to mail in the Texas game. It was a spotlight matchup, yet they appeared oddly unfocused. UT can claim some athletes, yet the Pokes should have beat them worse. Of course the Cowboy's great fault is their D, which is why they're not elite. 

Here's my top five - Bamar, LSU, OU, Wisconsin, Okie State. Should Badgers look very impressive next week with OU flat again, I might slide them over the Sooners. The Pokes are there almost by default. For example, half way through the season, and the Cardinal have yet to play one opponent worth a lick. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #258 of 564
^No love for Boise St. huh? 
smile.gif

They are almost certainly going to finish undefeated this year, and will be invited to one of the BCS bowls.  The only team with an outside chance of beating them in the regular season  is TCU, and the Horned Frogs are having a rebuilding year.  With their porous passing defense, I don't see TCU coming close.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #259 of 564
I agree that Boise stands an excellent chance of winning out, and will hopefully play another undefeated team in a BCS bowl that would qualify them for championship consideration. They are definitely in my top 5.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #260 of 564
I was at RMAF this weekend and saw no CFB.  Really looking forward to a full Saturday in front of the tube this weekend.  Wisco-MSU is a huge game - can;t wait.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #261 of 564

Quote:
I agree that Boise stands an excellent chance of winning out, and will hopefully play another undefeated team in a BCS bowl that would qualify them for championship consideration. They are definitely in my top 5.

Of course it all depends on the Wyoming game, about six weeks from now. The Broncos vs. the Cowboys in a wild-west shootout, should be a good one 
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #262 of 564
Three upsets I'm weighing for this weekend:

K-State @ Kansas. In-state rivalry. In Lawrence. Wild Cats in the top 15 and playing way beyond expectations. Looking ahead to OU. . .. On the other hand, this is the last "gimme" KSU has for a while so they may come to play.

Washington @ Stanford. Huskies can put points up. They also have a top 20 rush defense. Stanford has played nobody. OTOH, Washington has a horrible pass defense against Stanford's proficient pass offense.  At Stanford. 

OK State @ Mizzou. Columbia's a tough place to play. Tigger ought to be looking for a season-changing win after falling into a .500 record. Lost three games by a combined total of 24 points against three ranked teams. Missouri is #13 in the nation in rush yards per game on offense and OK State looked woeful on Rush D against Texas. OTOH, OK State has won 2 consecutive games in Columbia and generally seems like a good road team. 

Gut makes the following predictions: Orange over WVU, LSU close over Auburn, PSU close over NW, Wisconsin over MSU, Stanford over UW, Missouri over OK State, and KSU over KU. 

Gut didn't say anything about ND/USC. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #263 of 564

Quote:
Three upsets I'm weighing for this weekend:

K-State @ Kansas. In-state rivalry. In Lawrence. Wild Cats in the top 15 and playing way beyond expectations. Looking ahead to OU. . .. On the other hand, this is the last "gimme" KSU has for a while so they may come to play.

Washington @ Stanford. Huskies can put points up. They also have a top 20 rush defense. Stanford has played nobody. OTOH, Washington has a horrible pass defense against Stanford's proficient pass offense.  At Stanford. 

OK State @ Mizzou. Columbia's a tough place to play. Tigger ought to be looking for a season-changing win after falling into a .500 record. Lost three games by a combined total of 24 points against three ranked teams. Missouri is #13 in the nation in rush yards per game on offense and OK State looked woeful on Rush D against Texas. OTOH, OK State has won 2 consecutive games in Columbia and generally seems like a good road team. 

Gut makes the following predictions: Orange over WVU, LSU close over Auburn, PSU close over NW, Wisconsin over MSU, Stanford over UW, Missouri over OK State, and KSU over KU. 

Gut didn't say anything about ND/USC. 

I'm not buying into any upsets but it could happen. ND/USC could be the game of the week though.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #264 of 564
You know we're getting ripe for some earth-shattering upsets. The preseason top 10 and the week 8 top 10 have a lot of the same teams. FSU, Tex AM, and Nebraska dropped out in the AP; only FSU and ATM are missing from the USA poll.

Half way through the season and there are only three big surprises: Kansas State is 6-0, Clemson is 7-0, and FSU is 3-3. Better-than-expected Auburn at 5-2 and slightly worse-than-expected ATM at 4-2 are minor stories.

This almost seems like a ho-hum season so far.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #265 of 564
K-State is 6-0, but they have a pretty rough stretch after the KU game - OU, OSU, and A&M.  If they come through that 9-1 it will be a miracle.  They could easily exit that stretch 7-3.

I would add to your list that Ohio State being 4-3 is a "minor story". 

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #266 of 564

Quote:
I would add to your list that Ohio State being 4-3 is a "minor story". 

Soon to be 4-4. (Wisconsin in 2 weeks)  Part of this story is a brain dead offensive coaching staff.  The advent of a short passing game would do wonders for the offense and a young QB's confidence.  Against Illinois, the coaches finally figured out draw plays can be effective when teams are constantly blitzing.  Too bad this light didn't go on against MSU.  Lack of leadership on the field is another part of the story. (IE Nebraska collapse)  Whatever coach inherits this team next year is going to look very smart.  There is plenty of talent, just on the young side.  Come on down Urban.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #267 of 564
I've not been following the rumor mill much lately, but at one time I'd heard a ghastly rumor that had Mike Stoops going to Ohio State as D-coordinator under Urban Meyer.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #268 of 564

Quote:
I've not been following the rumor mill much lately, but at one time I'd heard a ghastly rumor that had Mike Stoops going to Ohio State as D-coordinator under Urban Meyer.

I'd be extremely pleased with Urban Meyer.  Stoops at DC would be getting greedy. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #269 of 564

The Trojans have a great shot at the upset over the 9.5 point favorites in South Bend.

How about LSU losing three of its starting skill players with #20 Auburn coming to town, could it happen?

The Ducks have lost two of their best players to injury but it shouldn't slow them down one bit, they will need them back in a few weeks though.

UCLA gets blown out by the Wildcats and their AD says that, "replacing Rick Neuheisel...isn't even a remote possibility". Which means that he's toast.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #270 of 564
Wow, I've seen brides more decisive about the wedding dress, than some of you are about your picks. Hells bells, once can throw a "may", "might", or "could" in statement to say about just about anything. Here I'll play.

Someday the SEC might claim zero schools on probation.
Lane Kiffin may actually be an honest coach.
The Big 12 could be a relevant conference again.

Easy! Check back in ten years for the results. 

Pick time - check between your stumps for acorns edition. 

Pokes over Tigers - whenever an upset has become du jour, I run the other way.
LSU over Auby - about ten more Bayou Tigers need to drop out for War Eagle to have a shot.
MSU over Wiscy - a feeling in my gut, or chili cheese enchiladas I just ate?
Trees over U-Dub - Luck also has the power to rescue the economy plus eliminate the Kardashians from TMZ coverage for a year. 
Miami over G. Tech - this is an extra special, super duper bonus pick, because basketball season is around the corner for the Acc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back