2011 College Football Thread
Sep 18, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #151 of 564
I thought that freshman FSU QB was actually the kicker when I first saw him. He made some good plays, though, and for a moment I thought maybe he would lead a charge and beat my sooners. 

OU, Alabama, and LSU look like the three best teams so far and there's a decent drop off between #3 and #4. 

OU could have played better and gave up some bad plays on defense. However it also made plenty of big plays that I haven't seen it make on the road in a while. The offense struggled at times but I don't think Alabama or LSU would have fared any better against some of the stuff the FSU defense was doing. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #152 of 564

Quote:
I thought that freshman FSU QB was actually the kicker when I first saw him. He made some good plays, though, and for a moment I thought maybe he would lead a charge and beat my sooners. 

Haha, poor kid just can't put on weight. Came in this spring at 173, and the goal was to get him to 180 for the season, and in fall camp he was at 171.

As a side note, I'm glad to see the nation introduced to Bjoern Werner. We've known the kid would be a beast, and he finally got to show out. Him and Timmy Jernigan next to each other is just going to nasty in the future. Still feel down about the loss, but still feel real good about where we are headed. But for this year, the offensive line just isn't ready to have us on the national level.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #153 of 564
J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The offense struggled at times but I don't think Alabama or LSU would have fared any better against some of the stuff the FSU defense was doing. 

Yep that D was no joke, and it didn't help with Jarvis Jones still out. Plus, Dary Williams didn't play irc. I hope he is alright.

I loved the game. It was very physical big boy football. My Sooner pessimism is unmatched, yet I have hard time not becoming excited about this team. As I said before, they have that look about them. Still a lot of football left however, and you know the clunker is coming. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #154 of 564
Big hearty sarcastic kudos to the ACC for scheduling FSU's toughest conference foe one week after facing the #1 team in the country. Now FSU rolls into Death Valley completely ravaged by injury, and if EJ Manuel isn't healthy enough to play, we can kiss our BCS dreams goodbye.

And with the ACC announcing that it has no intention of being a legitimate football conference this weekend, seems like FSU needs to move on to greener (in more ways than one) pastures.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #155 of 564
Bunch of good games this week with conference play beginning to tilt up. I was thinking of making some picks, save my last week was so dreadful. Three trends broke against me - OU played well on the road (thinking again, I still would have picked FSU), Auburn's luck ran out (looking back, still would have picked the Tigers), and Notre Dame beat a good team. That last one was really bad. There were a lot of good reasons to pick Dame in that game. Hindsight is always crystal clear of course. At least only way left to go is up, hopefully. 

I would be remiss without a mention that the NCAA has announced an investigation into South Carolina. Jointly, they have decided to move the headquarters from Indianapolis to Atlanta in order to reduce travel costs.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #156 of 564
Big 12 lives! And is that a banjo I hear somewhere in the background? Could it be!? West Virginia!

I don't think OU loses for a while. Missouri and Texas AM are both revenge games played in Norman and those turn out only one way. . . .

If OU loses I think it comes in Sueland or Stillwater.

Notre Dame keeps it rolling this week against Pitt.
Alabama over Ar-Kansas.
Leave it to the Beavers to knock off UCLA.
FSU's got a squad now. They've also got some trouble on offense. Clemson in a close one.
Banjos lose late to Les.

Ok State v. TAMU. Top 10 team playing at home should win. I don't think OK State is good enough to beat a top 10 team on the road, but neither do I think TAMU has a top 10 quality team. Close one and I'd take State straight up. B Weeden has a big day and OSU D plays well enough to stop Tebow-esque Ryan Tannehill.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #157 of 564

Quote:
Big hearty sarcastic kudos to the ACC for scheduling FSU's toughest conference foe one week after facing the #1 team in the country. Now FSU rolls into Death Valley completely ravaged by injury, and if EJ Manuel isn't healthy enough to play, we can kiss our BCS dreams goodbye.

And with the ACC announcing that it has no intention of being a legitimate football conference this weekend, seems like FSU needs to move on to greener (in more ways than one) pastures.

We would love to have you as #14 in the SEC (can't speak for the Gators).

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #159 of 564

Quote:

Because after Toledo gave OSU a scare they didn't even come close to slowing Boise down.

"Kellen Moore was just about perfect again, throwing for 455 yards and five touchdowns to lead No. 4 Boise State to a 40-15 victory over Toledo on Friday night."

And because they are facing NCAA sanctions just like the rest of the big boys 
wink_face.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #160 of 564

Quote:
We would love to have you as #14 in the SEC (can't speak for the Gators).

I'm definitely on board. Lord knows the road trips would be a lot more fun in the SEC than the ACC.

Of course, if we eventually move to the small group of super conferences, I can see a scenario where it would be much better to be in the ACC. But for now, get us out of here.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #161 of 564

Quote:

Because after Toledo gave OSU a scare they didn't even come close to slowing Boise down.

Giving OSU a scare is not that difficult to do this year.  OSU has no QB and are going to struggle scoring points on nearly everyone.  Any team with a pulse offensively has a shot to beat OSU this year.

Toledo is a well coached team with some offensive weapons.  Defense and special teams are highly questionable.  They are one of the top 3 in the MAC, but they are by no means a benchmark to judge a top tier program.  

Boise showed great against a top 20 Georgia team.  After Boise (in all likelihood) runs the table, they will be worthy of a BCS bowl.  Personally, I feel the SEC champ and any undefeated BCS conference school has priority over Boise in the championship game.  There is a huge difference in having to beat a worthy opponent week after week, to just having to get up for 1-2 games a year.  On any given day Boise can beat anyone.  I still don't buy they could get through a major conference unbeaten.  

If their aren't any undefeated BCS conference schools, than I'd love to see Boise take on the SEC champ for the title.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #162 of 564
Personally I would like to see Boise join the Pacific 12 instead of the Longhorns, or any other school east of the Rocky Mountain states. Utah and BYU, even Nevada would make better additions if there's going to be a "realignment".

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #163 of 564
Pick time - the friendly wager edition. It must be said. I'm so cold right now, be advised it's best to look the other way or just go the other way. You know kind of like an SEC AD who accidentally spots a rules violation at his school. Hell, they probably "mistakenly" spot ten on the way to the parking lot. 

Aggets over Okies - loser has to stay in the Big 12-2-1-4+4+/-X.
Alabama over Arky - winner gets to oversign another extra five players this class.
Noles over Rock - loser has to eat dinner with Jim Boeheim.
Devils over Trojans - winner gets to play Oregon State twice this year.
Hatter over Sandals - loser has to suffer Bill Stewart planted stories about him. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #165 of 564
I'm with Erik on USC, but the other picks seem solid enough except... what's Hatter over Sandals 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back