2011 College Football Thread
Sep 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #61 of 564

Quote:
Probably the most exciting news this season would be if Oklahoma and Texas join.  If they do, I wonder if we don't have to take Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, purely from a viewership and revenue standpoint.  The other Texas schools just bring too much baggage, like the stunt Baylor pulled during summer 2010 with the Texas legislature.

You'll have to take OK STate because of the Oklahoma state legislature. No idea how the state politics work in Texas so you may be able to get KU instead of Texas Tech. I'm still hopeful the Big 12 can get patched up, preferably with no more teams from texas. If that isn't possible, I'd like to see OU go to the Big 10 or SEC over the PAC. The SEC would be tough to win in but would be considerably more fun. 

Let's see. . . Georgia isn't as good as I thought, but I don' think South Carolina played that well either. Florida is good? Schnelly had hip pain. 

Lots of teams in the Big 12 struggled with what should have been lesser competition: Iowa State, Kansas State, and Missouri. Rajun Cajuns scored a bunch on OKlahoma State thanks to Weeden's interceptions. 

OU played well enough. Defense gave up some yards but Tulsa apparently has a good squad. Whaley? I was wowed. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #62 of 564
^ Tulsa is an upper tier Con USA team and definitely a respectable opener. So, I'd say OU did pretty well. BTW, are Lewis and King the most physically impressive DE's under Stoops? Seriously, there have been some great productions DE's like Cody, English, and Beal. But those two book ends are men. They bring Washington off the bench, and he is just as stout. Hope their play can live up to their physiques.

Tow Wort still worries me though. I saw him run into the wrong gap a couple of times. Box played so well the second half of last year. I have the sinking feeling, his tragic passing will cost the Sooners eventually. Anyway, I was impressed with OU, buuuuuuuuuuttttttt two weeks from now is a real test.

Conference wise, I loved the Big 12, and it's seemingly imminent passing is sad for me. Still, it's a bit like a good old  terminally ill dog now. Maybe, it should just be put down.

My vote is for the Pac, for many reasons, not all related to football, and I bet many are the same as Boren's. Put this way, that sheet paper we paid - or more likely are still paying - would probably prefer the Pac as well. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #63 of 564
Quote:
You'll have to take OK STate because of the Oklahoma state legislature. No idea how the state politics work in Texas so you may be able to get KU instead of Texas Tech. I'm still hopeful the Big 12 can get patched up, preferably with no more teams from texas. If that isn't possible, I'd like to see OU go to the Big 10 or SEC over the PAC. The SEC would be tough to win in but would be considerably more fun.

You're probably right about OK State.  I'd much rather the PAC take them than Texas Tech or Texas A&M.

The SEC is overall a stronger conference, but the PAC is much more competitive than people give it credit for.  IMO, anyway, the big problem the PAC faces is the east-coast bias of sportswriters, and how late the games show.  Either conference would be good for the Oklahoma schools, and I'm sure they'll be able to negotiate a better deal than they're getting now.  The PAC runs a completely egalitarian conference, and there are no Longhorn shenanigans that go on.  We complain about the refs a lot, but the conference management is very good, and PAC games have been consistently getting better and better airtime.

Anyway, the first 3-4 games of the season are lots of fun with how bipolar the swings are :)  I still think Oregon will tighten its ship up, and Stanford isn't as good as people think it is.

USC and UCLA are in one of the top-3 recruiting backyards (Socal, Texas, Southeast) of the nation.  They're not recruiting well because of their HCs.  For most of those kids, they grew up dreaming of playing for SC or LA.  It's actually a testament to the coaching that they don't perform better, given how much raw talent they have on their teams.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #64 of 564

Quote:
Notre Dame - I'm just glad they were exposed early, so I don't have to listen to a bunch of BS Irish Hype for weeks...Hopefully the Bulldogs will retire those horrid unis.

Truf, and truf

Quote:
And the best for last.  This is the one that really inspired me to post.  When I read this post all I could come up with was the title to the old Mac Davis song, "Oh Lord It's Hard To Be Humble".  Dude, if you are that sick of us have you ever thought about moving.

Well, because not being a big SEC fan, I realize that there is actually life outside of football. I love the southeast. Plus, this year is going to be fun to be in an SEC state. And you're from Arkansas? I would think it would be easier for you to be humble :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey Skylab, Who are these "lots of people"  Hope they aren't the same ones that saying that the Ducks were going to handle the Tigers last night.  By the end of the 3rd quarter those guys didn't know what had hit them.  I say it's is either Bama or LSU with me leaning to LSU.  Wish my Hogs didn't have to play them on the road but those are the breaks.  I am hoping we squeak by with only 1 or 2 losses (LSU/Bama) this year.

I think that the south Carolina speculation is that they will win the SEC East, not the SEC overall. Of course, if they win the east and go to the championship game, they could pull out an any given Saturday type of win against a superior team, and I agree it would probably be LSU or Bama.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #65 of 564
    Quote:

It might be a long season for 'SC if the offense keeps playing like that.

I mean, what did you expect from a team starting a bunch of freshmen, a combination of red shirt and true, on offense. They performed exactly how most people, I think, predicted. Of course, I get most of my sports news from only a couple sources, so maybe everyone I don't pay attention to expected more.

Quote:
You're probably right about OK State.  I'd much rather the PAC take them than Texas Tech or Texas A&M.

The SEC is overall a stronger conference, but the PAC is much more competitive than people give it credit for.  IMO, anyway, the big problem the PAC faces is the east-coast bias of sportswriters, and how late the games show.  Either conference would be good for the Oklahoma schools, and I'm sure they'll be able to negotiate a better deal than they're getting now.  The PAC runs a completely egalitarian conference, and there are no Longhorn shenanigans that go on.  We complain about the refs a lot, but the conference management is very good, and PAC games have been consistently getting better and better airtime.

Anyway, the first 3-4 games of the season are lots of fun with how bipolar the swings are :)  I still think Oregon will tighten its ship up, and Stanford isn't as good as people think it is.

USC and UCLA are in one of the top-3 recruiting backyards (Socal, Texas, Southeast) of the nation.  They're not recruiting well because of their HCs.  For most of those kids, they grew up dreaming of playing for SC or LA.  It's actually a testament to the coaching that they don't perform better, given how much raw talent they have on their teams.

The "East coast bias" from reporters is all about money. More people care about sports over here than on the left coast. Plain and simple, outside a couple of big markets, there is very little money for west coast teams, especially when they aren't winning. Every Big 10/SEC stadium is huge, and they pack them in every week. Even Texas can't sell out like that. Look at Michigan, 3 years wandering in the wilderness, and the Big House never fails to sell out.

And in regards to Oregon, that's what happened to them in their last game against Tigers with a fast SEC defense. Their offense just doesn't work against the SEC's elite defenses.

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #66 of 564
I think it's a combination of the fanbase enthusiasm and population density.  The San Francisco Bay Area is not a huge region geographically, is 7 million people, has poor transportation, and Cal and Stanford need to compete against the As, Giants, 49ers, Raiders, Sharks, Earthquakes, etc.  College sports fans here are pretty resigned to how professional sports dilutes the total audience, all things considered.  On top of that, the demographics are far more diverse than the south, so you have large racial groups that just don't care about American sports.  In the south, you have far more cultural homogeneity in the community, and the pro teams are more dispersed.

I remember seeing my first Tennessee football game on television and it was insane, 110k+ fans screaming so loud the play-by-play announcers were having trouble hearing themselves.  I've heard since then that Neyland regularly packs 80-90k+, even during down years.  That never happens out here except for rare games, like when Cal and Oregon were in the top-3 of the conference.  The Coliseum seats a lot but the acoustics aren't so good.  When I was down in Austin during the week of the UT vs TTech game, I saw more Longshorn flags flying from buildings than the stars and stripes.

But anyway, you're right, people just don't care as much out here.

Oregon is a gimmick team, and most of us out here feel Chip Kelly's going to find a new horse.  Cal shut the Oregon defense down last year, and I wouldn't doubt that Auburn's coaches studied that game tape closely.  The PAC gets faster every year and Oregon, particularly on its o-line, doesn't seem like it reloaded nearly as much as it needed to.

I wish the PAC could have the same success in the NCAA as its players find in the NFL.  Fwiw, more Texas and Southeastern players are finding their way west, so maybe things will even out over time.

Glad to see ND lose.  Hope they go winless.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #67 of 564

One thing has been on my mind all day. Just how did Boise State beat an SEC team? It has racked my brain. First I thought maybe the Broncos were just better? Could it be that simple? Nah, I removed such a ridiculous thought very quickly. After all, Vanderbilt would beat Boise State, let along the Dawgs. So I remained perplexed then decided to make a phone call in order to discover the truth. My super secret source informed me that horribly the UGA's player paychecks had bounced right before the game, which understandably caused chaos among the young men.

"How can I buy 46 pairs of shoes now?" one or Ricthts' players was overheard to say. 

Another whispered, "there goes the new plasma I was hoping for. What will Reggie Bush think?"

"This is *******. I could have gone to Harvard if I wanted to only play for tuition," a backup center bemoaned.

The SEC reacted quickly to the tragedy. An imaginary conference call has been scheduled, where a possible bailout for Georgia's athletic program will be discussed. Apparently Florida has been issuing the Dawgs' cheap credit, which created a player pay bubble. They are determined to ensure that such a tragedy will never occur happen again. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #68 of 564
^lol  As a Badgers fan, I liked how comfortable Wilson looked in his first start, the run game was obviously good, but our D looked fairly weak.  Even after all the problems in the off season, Ohio State is still Ohio State and I wouldn't be shocked if they finish with the best record in the Big Ten when it's all said and done.  Bama at Penn State should be good this week; even though Bama will probably be favored, it's gonna be tough for the young Bama qbs to play in front of 100k + fans and an upset could happen

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #69 of 564

One thing has been on my mind all day. Just how did Boise State beat an SEC team? It has racked my brain. First I thought maybe the Broncos were just better? Could it be that simple? Nah, I removed such a ridiculous thought very quickly. After all, Vanderbilt would beat Boise State, let along the Dawgs. So I remained perplexed then decided to make a phone call in order to discover the truth. My super secret source informed me that horribly the UGA's player paychecks had bounced right before the game, which understandably caused chaos among the young men.

"How can I buy 46 pairs of shoes now?" one or Ricthts' players was overheard to say. 

Another whispered, "there goes the new plasma I was hoping for. What will Reggie Bush think?"

"This is *******. I could have gone to Harvard if I wanted to only play for tuition," a backup center bemoaned.

The SEC reacted quickly to the tragedy. An imaginary conference call has been scheduled, where a possible bailout for Georgia's athletic program will be discussed. Apparently Florida has been issuing the Dawgs' cheap credit, which created a player pay bubble. They are determined to ensure that such a tragedy will never occur happen again. 

I would have prefered to see them play LSU or Bam to see how good they really are. I was suprised to see Georgia even ranked this year. Don't be to hard on the SEC Viro, your Sooners might be in it one day if the Big 12 continues to implode. But I honestly see them going to the PAC (less competition you know).

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #70 of 564
the question is anther the SEC wants 16 teams. Oklahoma has to move to the same conference as OK St and Texas. So those three plus T AM would make the SEC a ridiculously stacked 16-team league. But I don't think they can take just two of those four. It does seem that T AM is willing to go to the SEC without any of the others, but I don't think that works for the rest. Although I guess maybe you could move the two Texas schools to the SEC and the two from OK to the PAC?

Where does that leave Mizzou, ISU, KU and KState? CUSA? Mtn West?

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #72 of 564
I don't think the Big East can handle another BB school - they are a 16-team league in hoops already, aren't they? I guess the ACC could also go to 16 teams if the PAC and SEC do...

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #73 of 564

Quote:
I don't think the Big East can handle another BB school - they are a 16-team league in hoops already, aren't they? I guess the ACC could also go to 16 teams if the PAC and SEC do...

There are reports of a potential PAC 20 in the pipeline. Which I think would be stupid. And, to be fair, it's not like those are all powerhouses. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #74 of 564
You guys can write off any UT to SEC scenarios. They'll go independent - in football - before that. And I can tell you, that OU leadership and the money is not keen on the SEC. Only under certain circumstances would it happen. 

gopack87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bama at Penn State should be good this week; even though Bama will probably be favored, it's gonna be tough for the young Bama qbs to play in front of 100k + fans and an upset could happen

I'm looking forward to this one and a very good point. The two pups didn't look like world beaters that first game. Obviously for PSU, load up the box and hope to slow the big Tide rushing machine, and make the kids beat you. Then there also that little problem about scoring on Alabama. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #75 of 564
I had a feeling that LSU would beat the Ducks but not by two touchdowns. I also felt that Boise was a solid bet, but the time for the Broncos to sneak up on anybody has long passed and they still have to prove they can beat the best. I was surprised to see USC having so much trouble at home. Alabama, LSU, and Oklahoma are looking fantastic, it will be interesting to see if teams like Oregon, Boise and Stanford can keep pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back