2010 World Series
Oct 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Anyone paying attention to the World Series this year?

I don't follow the Rangers or the Giants (my Dodgers didn't do so well this year) but I've always watched the World Series.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is following the Series and wanted to talk about it.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 43
You sure you're going to bet on the Rangers? They fell apart in the 8th and I wonder if they'll be able to pick up nine runs in the 9th. Then again, it might get interesting if they can pick up some wins at home.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 43
I've been watching all of the NLCS games and hope to watch the rest of the WS games.  I didn't manage to watch any of the ALCS games, but the Giants have been been awesome.  Every game has been a lot of fun, I have never seen so many great baseball games.  Also helps that the Giants are doing well
biggrin.gif

I didn't watch any of their season games, but I've gotten really attached to the team.  A lot of personality.  And it's cool that they win with such a team effort, more by will then anything else it seems. 

I'm rooting for the Giants of course, but either team winning will be great.  Texas has never won a WS and the Giants haven't since they moved to SF

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 43
Just caught some highlights on Dutch television. Love this game. One of the finer things the US has brought forth. As I am still on analog TV with 30 channels I think I can only catch this on NBC.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 43
That baseball - arguably the most boring professional sport played in the US - can compete with the excitement, speed, and exhilaration that is hockey (it's hockey season by the way) simply boggles the mind.
confused_face_2.gif
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 43

Quote:
That baseball - arguably the most boring professional sport played in the US - can compete with the excitement, speed, and exhilaration that is hockey (it's hockey season by the way) simply boggles the mind.
confused_face_2.gif
wink.gif

Some of us appreciate the 19th century character of the game.  There's no clock and the pacing lets you do things like eat hot dogs, drink beer and chat with friends between plays.  It's leisurely, as opposed to most sports where you have to rigidly pay attention lest you miss something.

Going to the ballpark on a warm summer evening with a bunch of people is one of life's great pleasures.  The social aspect is just as important as the game.

Shame you don't appreciate it.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 43
JxK, clearly you didn't watch any of the Giants-Phillies games.  They were more intense than any "action-packed thriller" with Bruce Willis I've ever seen. 

I love baseball.  I'm struggling to put words to the reasons why I like it better than soccer and football.  I really don't care for football at all, I find it boring and it's too violent and aggressive for me.  It's strange that there aren't more head-fiers posting here.  I would think that the solitude (if that's the right word for it) of headphone obsession and forum posting would match well with baseball. 

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 43
I have always liked this game. As a kid I thought everything was cool about it and I still feel that exact same way. The outfits, the gear, the way the pitcher looks and is in control, indeed the pace, the explosion behind a ball getting slammed out the park, the excitement when a ball gets passed a field player, the chewing of gums as if their life depends on it and I have not even witnessed the fun of being at one of these major league games. Love hockey too. Great great game!

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:
I really don't care for football at all, I find it boring and it's too violent and aggressive for me.  It's strange that there aren't more head-fiers posting here.  I would think that the solitude (if that's the right word for it) of headphone obsession and forum posting would match well with baseball.

It took me awhile to warm up to football, but I came to love it when I did.  I see it as more of a chess match between the two coaches.  You have to get a grasp of the offensive and defensive playcalling and how they stack up against each other - then it gets interesting.

Still, I was in Little League at an early age and "got" the game right away.  I wasn't much good as a right fielder, but enjoyed playing.  I was also in AYSO... but never developed much passion for soccer.  I make an effort to watch the World Cup games, too.

Completely agree that there aren't more Head-Fi'ers following baseball.  It seems like a good fit for a lot of people here.  One of my favorite things is to put a baseball game on the radio while soldering.  Back in 2002, I reworked the innards of a 1939 GE console radio and then used it to listen to the Angels win the World Series.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:
Awesome is really the only word that comes to mind right now
cool.gif

Actually, the old radios are fairly easy.  The casework and layout are already done and you can assume that all the parts inside are out of spec.  So I replace all the caps, electrolytics and resistors.  Oddly, the tubes are usually good.  It costs about $25-$30 for the average set (non-boutique, but quality parts) and the alignment isn't too difficult.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 43
Sanchez's start is going to be interesting because I think Bumgarner gives them a good chance in game 4.  Of course, who really knows? The giants have been on fire offensively, and I really can't see that offensive explosion stopping in Texas, especially when the giants can employ a DH. Even more so, the Giants have a nice bullpen which can save the day if need be. 

But I really think SF takes it in 6.

Also, a funny thing about the giants, I'll admit, is Barry Zito. He must use all that money to fund some nice liquor. Otherwise, I don't see how he sleeps at night. Still, I'm a bit shocked he's not going to pitch.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #14 of 43
I subscribe to MLB.com and got to watch my Detroit Tigers play almost every day (even after they fell apart after the All-star break) while living in Japan.  As I favor the American League, I am hoping that Texas can do something and stretch this series out -hoping to see the Rangers on top in 7 games!

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
Some of us appreciate the 19th century character of the game.  There's no clock and the pacing lets you do things like eat hot dogs, drink beer and chat with friends between plays.  It's leisurely, as opposed to most sports where you have to rigidly pay attention lest you miss something.

Going to the ballpark on a warm summer evening with a bunch of people is one of life's great pleasures.  The social aspect is just as important as the game.

Shame you don't appreciate it.

Actually, the social aspect is the only thing I appreciate about the game.
wink.gif

If I watch baseball I just chat with whomever is around rather than watch the game. Maybe I should compare watching baseball to going to the bar, where one goes for the social environment more than the typically overpriced drinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back