2010 model SACD player from Sony. BDP-S370. "Bargain of the century!" -- Hi-Fi World Magazine
Nov 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #78 of 116

Quote:
Any updates?
I'm very curious...

Quote:
while the atlona is virtually guaranteed to work in most setups, at $160 - $260 these devices are too expensive for those of us with limited budgets. i would suggest trying the sony with this device from monoprice instead:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2#description     check out the features and the specs
at $49 it's worth a try & if it doesn't work for your setup, then it can be returned (along with the sony if u purchased from your local b&m store). this is what i'm going to try.
note: make sure it's version 2; version 1 of the monoprice has been reported as not working properly.

hth,

<edit> just ordered along with some hi-speed hdmi cables

Quote:
Because I can't buy a $140 SACD player and hook it into my system and it work. I have to either buy a high end player with the balanced output for however much or buy a de-embedder just to make it work at all.

follow-up:
test setup: bdp-s370-->monoprice hdmi switcher ---> hdmi monitor + matrix cube dac/hpa ---> akg k701 / ultrasone hfi780
the s370 was connected to one of the four inputs of the monoprice switcher via a solitary hdmi cable.  the hdmi output from this switcher was fed to my hdmi-enabled pc monitor; the digital audio (spdif coax) was fed into my matrix cube dac with internal amp enabled.

i can confirm that in testing with cd and blu-ray that a digital audio stream was "de-embedded" from the hdmi signal via the monoprice switcher in all cases. there were no noise artifacts that i could discern. what i cannot confirm is the resultant input signal rate into my dac since there is no sampling rate display. i only tested a single blu-ray disc (jeff beck live at ronnie scott's) and i can confirm that the sound (& playing, ofc) was fantastic, tho the bass thru the cube's hpa was slightly soft and lacking sufficient impact, imho.  i could not locate any sacd for testing digital extraction from an sacd source.

final thoughts -- the s370 is a very good sounding unit via the digital out; i did not test the analog output nor any of the network related capabilities. it does make sufficient mechanical noise when advancing from track to track on cd as to be audible from several feet.  i returned the s370 with the thought of picking up the wi-fi ready unit (s570) during the boxing day sales.

i forgot to take pix of the monoprice & sony cabled up...

hth,

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #79 of 116
Thanks for the follow up!
I'm thinking about getting s570 as well.
Did you notice any fan noise when s370i s running?

Quote:

Quote:
Any updates?
I'm very curious...

Quote:
while the atlona is virtually guaranteed to work in most setups, at $160 - $260 these devices are too expensive for those of us with limited budgets. i would suggest trying the sony with this device from monoprice instead:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2#description     check out the features and the specs
at $49 it's worth a try & if it doesn't work for your setup, then it can be returned (along with the sony if u purchased from your local b&m store). this is what i'm going to try.
note: make sure it's version 2; version 1 of the monoprice has been reported as not working properly.

hth,

<edit> just ordered along with some hi-speed hdmi cables

Quote:
Because I can't buy a $140 SACD player and hook it into my system and it work. I have to either buy a high end player with the balanced output for however much or buy a de-embedder just to make it work at all.

follow-up:
test setup: bdp-s370-->monoprice hdmi switcher ---> hdmi monitor + matrix cube dac/hpa ---> akg k701 / ultrasone hfi780
the s370 was connected to one of the four inputs of the monoprice switcher via a solitary hdmi cable.  the hdmi output from this switcher was fed to my hdmi-enabled pc monitor; the digital audio (spdif coax) was fed into my matrix cube dac with internal amp enabled.

i can confirm that in testing with cd and blu-ray that a digital audio stream was "de-embedded" from the hdmi signal via the monoprice switcher in all cases. there were no noise artifacts that i could discern. what i cannot confirm is the resultant input signal rate into my dac since there is no sampling rate display. i only tested a single blu-ray disc (jeff beck live at ronnie scott's) and i can confirm that the sound (& playing, ofc) was fantastic, tho the bass thru the cube's hpa was slightly soft and lacking sufficient impact, imho.  i could not locate any sacd for testing digital extraction from an sacd source.

final thoughts -- the s370 is a very good sounding unit via the digital out; i did not test the analog output nor any of the network related capabilities. it does make sufficient mechanical noise when advancing from track to track on cd as to be audible from several feet.  i returned the s370 with the thought of picking up the wi-fi ready unit (s570) during the boxing day sales.

i forgot to take pix of the monoprice & sony cabled up...

hth,

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #80 of 116
i could not hear any fan noise whatsoever; furthermore, i could not feel any air movement coming from the "fan" opening.  ofc, i neglected to even look to see if the fan was indeed running at the time.  mind u it's not exactly warm here so perhaps it's a temp-activated device?  i will also add that i kept it running more than 12 hr at a time & it barely got warm on an open shelf.

i need to add that the rendition of 3-d space thru the s370 with hdmi switcher and matrix cube dac is just lovely.

i c that the local wally's is tempting with $59 $49 blu-ray plyr as one of this weekend's specials ... must resist ...

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #81 of 116
BDP-S370 used to retail for $229 in australia, I bought mine for $199 on sale, I traded it today for a new headphone and IEM, I have blu-ray in my laptop and will have to get a new SACD player later on, it was nice listening to this unit while I had it, but I was only impressed by the SACD playback, redbook didn't do it for me, compared to my laptop CD playback which I like better (or a very old Pioneer 1bit DLC CD player, or my portable CD players). I found the S370 a little bright with regular CD audio, I couldn't use my CK10's and listen to CD's on it.

For my next SACD player later on, I will be looking for the next step above the S370 in audio quality, perhaps a dedicated unit, SACD only, we'll see.

$99 at JR is ridiculous though, I love american shopping.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #82 of 116
i would agree with the touch of brightness assessment, but then i was using hp's (primarily hfi780; k701 to a lesser extent) which are also known to be on the high side. i should have tried my hf2 with these.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #84 of 116
I got a sony bdp-bx37 (the Costco equivalent to bdp-s370) second-hand for cheap a while ago.
I like the fact that it streams netflix and pandora, and supports mp3 & mkv on USB stick.  Didn't realize it's also praised for its sound quality.
I guess I'll try some critical listening now.
I just wish it supports more video and audio file formats.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #85 of 116

Quote:
From research it appears the BDP-BX7 is the same as the BDP-s370, but the BDP-BX7 includes an HDMI cable. They are also a little cheaper.

BDP-BX37 is the equivalent.
Says so on the user manual cover too:
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/warranty/SEL-asset-185224.pdf
Don't know if they use the same parts or cheaper ones.

BDP-s570's equivalent is BX57
manual: http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/warranty/SEL-asset-186300.pdf

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #86 of 116

Quote:
BDP-370 99$ today. Ordering one now!

wow very cheap
regular_smile%20.gif

btw in Indonesia very expensive , around  $330     
eek.gif

http://www.sony.co.id/product/bdp-s370

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #87 of 116
I just got the BX57 (BD-S570 equivalent). Very impressed. Compared to my Oppo DV-980H, the BX57 has a much better bass impact. The Oppo HDCD playback does outdo the BX57 redbook. SACD is comparable.

The audio from Pandora through the BX57 is outstanding.....so glad I opted for the 57 with wireless versus the 37 without.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #88 of 116
Recently sold my oppo bd83se to play the waiting game for a player with a more solid networking and file format capability primarily. The oppo was superb except loading times was a bit on the slow side. Looked in stores for an el cheapo temporary replacement since there is still no bluray player out there that does everything I want from it. the BD95 get really close and the Dune HD Max pretty much fullfill my wet dreams. It would if it had the analogue circuits of the 83se at least :)

SACD support already there limited the options... I only found a Denon 1611 and the Sony BDP SXXX line offering it. The Sonys top of the line bluray players don´t have SACD support???
The Denon didn´t have any networking capabilities to speak off either. It has great file support it even support FLAC with a firmware upgrade I have been told. But no wireless network felt not so 2010.

Found the SD370 for half the price of the 570. I don´t plan to go 3D for movies so I don´t care much for that feature. But seeing the 570 having have a built in wifi card narrowed the price difference down considerably. The case work on the Sonys was some of the crappiest of what I noticed of LG, Philips, Samsung, Panasonics, JVCs and Sharps offerings. Most left a lot to desire surely in the hunt for slimness I suppose. A lot of flimsy bluray players this generation surely. There was exceptions though. Particularly Philips  had some really nice cases. Was a LG player that looked really good as well and both being cheaper then the 570.

I went home with the 570 in the end though. Haven´t opened it yet. Have hard time finding specs if it support both FAT32 and NTFS harddrives or only FAT32? Some seem to suggest it only support NTFS? Also do someone know of a good FLAC to Wav converter?

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #89 of 116

Quote:

I went home with the 570 in the end though. Haven´t opened it yet. Have hard time finding specs if it support both FAT32 and NTFS harddrives or only FAT32? Some seem to suggest it only support NTFS? Also do someone know of a good FLAC to Wav converter?

though i haven't tried, i am pretty sure it doesn't support ntfs.  even sony's playstation3 does not support ntfs.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #90 of 116
This BD player may regenerate interest in SACD. Ten years ago SACD didn't have a chance, kids growing up with computers then were able to download music from Napster and others for free They stopped buying stereos in favor of personal audio devices. And, they stopped buying CD's too, since, with only one to two good songs on a disc, it just was not worth the expense. Things are different today; and, with inexpensive BD players out there, curiousity alone maybe all that's needed to re-start a market for SACD. Thinking about it all, it's a win for all.

Another Sony BD player that is promising is the S1700ES. At $400.00 it adds 7.1 RCA output, Wi-Fi, networking, and a 5 year warranty. I think the multi-channel RCA output will also allow for proper multi-channel SACD playback, but, I'm not certain.

Don't think just because Sony is not supporting SACD like they were that the medium is dead or dying, Sony is interested right now at just staying in business, as consumers for any of this stuff are so skiddish in these uncertain economic times. Since the  only really new thing out there is 3D BD, Sony like other savy marketers are rushing to give buyers what they will perceive as being the best value.It's one reason you don't see cases built like tanks anymore, the money it takes to provide consumers with value is spent on performance and function. But, perhps, after the smoke clears and the dust settles,  electronics company's like Sony will get back to servicing the market for luxury electronics when, or if that market returns. Certainly, if they continued to cater to that small market today it could put 'em out of business, the proposition is just too inefficient. Building super SACD players to just warehouse them is not good business. Afterall, they've got to pay the folks who produced the parts and those who assembled these things. That money comes from us actually buying the product. If Sony did not make fantastic value right now folks would buy another brand. It's tough out there for any of these electronics giants. Their diversisty and cash are what are keeping them allive today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back