2010 model SACD player from Sony. BDP-S370. "Bargain of the century!" -- Hi-Fi World Magazine
Dec 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #91 of 116
Well honestly I don´t see why SACD would make a strong comeback. The players are cheap but when average joe see how expensive SACD discs are they may be discouraged. I believe more in the bluray format rather then SACD.

Edit:

Well I ended up unboxing the 370 so the 570 will be returned. I figured I couldn´t stand with wireless that may act up from time to time or have sluggish performance. (1 GB internet :)). Impressions so far quite loud fan that seem to be on continuesly? I have seen youtube videos where the start up is about twice as fast compared to the PS 3. But loading Avatar took forever and ever?. At least a minute. Tried Toy Story 3 and it´s loading times was a bit more acceptable.

Bluray of course look stunning. As good as I remembered the oppo or PS 3. It´s the DVD upscaling that is the true test. It also seem impossible to bitstream HD audio? PCM is the only option? I also tried the Ipod touch app. Will take some time getting used to. The simple version where you are supposed to use the touchscreen to drag the cursor doesn´t really work. However seeing that the cheap stock remote aren´t backlit I will probably find some use for it.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #92 of 116

Also is there any difference in networking functionality using the LAN Port versus WIFI?  Can you use the Ipod touch also on the 370 or does it require WIFI to operate with the bluray players?

I have mine hooked up thru wired router, and the bd player is controllable with free bd remote app on my iPhone

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #93 of 116
Thanks gotten so far. I tried some dvd movie and the upscaling seem quite good so far. However on really dark sceens I am getting blue tint instead of black? It´s not subtle either it´s more blue then black. Never gotten that before any idea what setting may cause it?

I read some review of some of the newer bravia tvs doing the same thing. Wonder if they also tried it with the sony bluray player? I got a 3 year old Sony XBR1 Bravia 1 (KDL3200 in EU)

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #94 of 116
Need to get a new tv. It´s three years old and the backlightning is going which mess up the grey scales perhaps? Blue on black was my TV afterall since I was able to reproduce it. Weird since what I liked with it has always been great black levels for a LCD. Choosing warm instead of neutral colours helped a lot though.

I also got to try out the analogue out of the 370. Signature wise it´s more or less identical to my Ref9 on my AD700 and tube amp. Not that familiar with the AD700 I will probably have to take out the heavy artillery GHP/LCD-2 to be able to differentiate them. But it´s really quite impressive.  Listening to a binaural recording of Also Sprach Zarathrustra I often misstaked the 370 for the Ref9. Sometimes it good to have goldfish memory to forget which source you have activated on the amp :wink: 

Will be interesting with SACD but if it downsample it to 16/48 and is limited to stereo you fail most of the points with SACD support if you don´t have a receiver that support SACD or at least DSD? My RX-V663 doesn´t AFAIK. So if we take bluray audio I need to run it through my receiver to get full bit rate even when running the stereo track? It always downsample to 16/44 or 16/48 through spdif?

7.1 support, full 24/96 support at least, NTFS and FLAC is what I need on my final bluray player. spdif input would make me drool like nothing else but that feature will probably never happen :p

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #95 of 116

Quote:
Will be interesting with SACD but if it downsample it to 16/48 and is limited to stereo you fail most of the points with SACD support if you don´t have a receiver that support SACD or at least DSD? My RX-V663 doesn´t AFAIK. So if we take bluray audio I need to run it through my receiver to get full bit rate even when running the stereo track? It always downsample to 16/44 or 16/48 through spdif?

SACD's DSD bitstream is ONLY available digitally through the player's HDMI output.

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #96 of 116
Yes and then my receiver must support DSD? I tried it with the 83se and I couldn´t get any sound out of my receiver :frowning2:.

I have spent some time with the LCD-2 now and again I can´t for a dime find ANYTHING this dac do differently over the Ref-9 for cd.
Which mean it would actually sound a bit better then the Oppo 83ses analogue output to these tin ears...

Gonna have to investigate that S770...

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #97 of 116
Some questions about the internet tv? Have anyone managed to register for the berliner symphony thingie? The registration on their web page has been broken several days in a row for me. Also read that you can hire movies through lovefilm? Is that only an american service? All i find is a trailer show for it.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #98 of 116
Update: Now tried them with my GHP and now the differences is clear as night and day. the 370 is not a miracle worker anymore and it was quite a bit more work listening to Sting on that one over the Ref9 and not nearly as much detail and not nearly as transparent with the LCD-2.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #99 of 116
Continuing my monologue. It does seem my receiver support DSD because I do get sound when activating it. Wonder why I couldn´t get it running with the Oppo. As long as I get surround I can be dead certain the SACD player is played right? Signal info on my receiver say DSD when enabling DSD and when running PCM PCM and 176 hz. When running DSD there is no analogue signal from the player it seems? Have the analogue out connected to a headphone amp and get no signal to it if running DSD as being warned when enabling it.

I think I can live with FAT32 and use splitters. The video quality is generally horrendous though. I have tried some mp4s, VOBs, MKVs etc and less then 30 % success rate regarding IQ compared to PC. About 40 % of the files I would say are broken so far so it doesn´t really impress that much as a media center and I have a quite forgiving 720p 32" LCD-TV. Bluray and DVD look as good as you can expect. My TV is the clear bottleneck there though. The ultimate sacrifice is FLAC support. Will be a pain to convert it all to Wav.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #100 of 116

Quote:
It does seem my receiver support DSD because I do get sound when activating it. Wonder why I couldn´t get it running with the Oppo. As long as I get surround I can be dead certain the SACD player is played right? Signal info on my receiver say DSD when enabling DSD and when running PCM PCM and 176 hz. When running DSD there is no analogue signal from the player it seems? Have the analogue out connected to a headphone amp and get no signal to it if running DSD as being warned when enabling it.

I believe the Yamaha 663 HT receiver will convert the incoming DSD bitstream to PCM, although I am not exactly sure of the resolution.  You may want to check the extensive thread over at avsforum.com on the Yamaha 663 for that information.

If I remember correctly, in the owner's manual for the Sony S370, it does mention that the analog outputs are shut off when you select DSD to be streamed.  

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #101 of 116
That thread say it doesn´t translate the signal to PCM when googling. I didn´t browse the entire thread... DSD to analogue but who knows more then yamaha employees.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #102 of 116
This player looks interesting. I may get it for a nice transport for CD, SACD, DVD-audio, and Blu Ray.

@oqvist,

Winamp works very well for converting anything to WAV. It is really fast as well. Most head-fiers swear by dbpoweramp, but I haven't tried it yet.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #103 of 116

unless u mean regular dvd audio tracks or referring to a different player, the s370 does not play discs encoded as DVD-A (at least mine doesn't; if u've got a hack for that, pls share ...
wink.gif
)

Quote:
This player looks interesting. I may get it for a nice transport for CD, SACD, DVD-audio, and Blu Ray.

@oqvist,

Winamp works very well for converting anything to WAV. It is really fast as well. Most head-fiers swear by dbpoweramp, but I haven't tried it yet.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #104 of 116

Oh really? I just checked the specs, and they don't say anything about DVD-A, so I guess you are right.
Quote:
unless u mean regular dvd audio tracks or referring to a different player, the s370 does not play discs encoded as DVD-A (at least mine doesn't; if u've got a hack for that, pls share ...
wink.gif
)

Quote:

@oqvist,

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #105 of 116

kiteki said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

More info here, seems correct to me:

"The Sony BDP-S370 provides audio out via the analogue RCA jacks in stereo only. It works for playback of CD, DVD, SACD and HRx discs. Internal DACS are Wolfson 192kHz / 24 bit.
Digital audio is possible via HDMI, but not analogue so it really needs to be routed via a HT receiver with HDMI where the receiver does the decoding. Digital audio via HDMI is possible for all digital bitstreams including LPCM, dts, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital TrueHD, dts-MA and DSD.
Digital audio via SPDIF is limited to LPCM, dts and Dolby Digital. CD will be outputed via SPDIF at 44.1kHz / 16 bits. Higher sampling rates and bit depths will be downsampled to 48kHz / 16 bits. SACD is digitally outputted as 44.1kHz / 16 bits.

For those with HT receivers which have HDMI but no DSD decoding, the player can be set to send multichannel and 2 channel stereo as 176.4kHz / 24 bit LPCM instead when playing SACDs.

Cheers,
Alan R."

Thanks for your instruction! It helps me out of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back