Aug 3, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #76 of 197
Diana Birch - Bible Belt
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadus
The Starlight Mints - Change remains
DMB- Big whisky and the gru grux king
Death cab for cutie - open door EP

Loving Bible belt atm.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #77 of 197
Double Dagger- More is my favorite 2009 album so far.

close behind would be
Fever Ray- s/t
Telefon Tel Aviv- Immolate Yourself
Blank Dogs- Seconds
Au Revoir Simone- Still Night Still Light

Minitel Rose deserves a mention too based on how strong the song When I Was Punk is. so good I have barely made it to the rest of the album!

thanks h a d e s b r a i n

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #78 of 197
Amorphis - Skyforger
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life
Placebo - Battle for the Sun -- quite possibly their best ever
Pure Reason Revolution - Amor Vincit Omnia (yes, I know it's weird, but I love it)
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

can't wait for: Porcupine Tree, Muse, Swallow the Sun, VNV Nation

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #80 of 197
"A State Of Trance 2009" - Armin van Buuren
"In Trance We Trust 013" - Carl B
"Trance Energy 2009" - John O'Callaghan & Rank 1

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #81 of 197
helvetia-junk shop
silversunpickups-swoon
bill callahan-sometimes i wish i were an eagle
Dan Auerbach-Keep It Hid
kanye west-808 and heartbreak

almost made the list:

mastadon-crack the skye

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #82 of 197
I got a couple great albums because of this thread these are the ones I'm liking:

Bill Callahan- Sometimes I wish We were an eagle, except for the last song, where he goes on about how God is leaving or whatever, it's a little much. Loosing faith is pretty sad, yet the song sounds so hopeful, can't really get into hearing him say that over and over....

Andrew Bird- Noble Beast. I think this is his best album yet. Couldn't really get into the Eggs

Leonard Cohen live in London

I also like Camera Obscura, I was very surprised by how original it sounds, as I was expecting some bland Indie rock.

I am not so into the Pheonix album, or Dinosaur Jr. or Passion Pit. They aren't too bad, but seem pretty bland, IMO.

And these albums I already had, and a few of my favorites from this year

Grizzly Bear
- wow. So much better than their previous albums, which seem a little too "smart" if you know what I mean, like they're playing all the right notes, but I don't really care that much.

Antony and the Johnsons- This album is so beautiful

Beirut - double LP- so great, so weird. The electronic album is so great

Plants and Animals- Parc Avenue
This was actually released in 2008, but I just discovered it, and it seems to have slipped through the cracks. Really great album! One of the best albums I've gotten in a few months, maybe better than the Grizzly Bear release I'd say, and probably my favorite album right now.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #85 of 197
31jS3Vpn3pL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #87 of 197
Just 2 from me:

Doves - Kingdom Of Rust (a real grower of an album with no weak songs)
Florence & The Machine - Lungs (best album i've heard in ages)

Can't believe no one has mentioned florence & the machine in this thread, simply brilliant. So looking forward to seeing them live next month.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #88 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a couple great albums because of this thread these are the ones I'm liking:

Bill Callahan- Sometimes I wish We were an eagle, except for the last song, where he goes on about how God is leaving or whatever, it's a little much. Loosing faith is pretty sad, yet the song sounds so hopeful, can't really get into hearing him say that over and over....

Andrew Bird- Noble Beast. I think this is his best album yet. Couldn't really get into the Eggs

Leonard Cohen live in London

I also like Camera Obscura, I was very surprised by how original it sounds, as I was expecting some bland Indie rock.

And these albums I already had, and a few of my favorites from this year

Grizzly Bear
- wow. So much better than their previous albums, which seem a little too "smart" if you know what I mean, like they're playing all the right notes, but I don't really care that much.

Antony and the Johnsons- This album is so beautiful

Beirut - double LP- so great, so weird. The electronic album is so great

Plants and Animals- Parc Avenue
This was actually released in 2008, but I just discovered it, and it seems to have slipped through the cracks. Really great album! One of the best albums I've gotten in a few months, maybe better than the Grizzly Bear release I'd say, and probably my favorite album right now.

Very happy with Grizzly Bear, Beirut, Antony, Andrew Bird, and the Leonard Cohen albums. Will have to pick up Camera Obscura too. The others I have not heard of but based on the rest of the list, seems like I should pick them up too.

Just picked up Wilco and Sonic Youth's new albums yesterday. Both seem pretty good, just need to give them more time to see where they stand overall.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #89 of 197
All disco house!!!

The Phantom's Revenge - Johnny Lawrence of the cobra Kai
Poka vs. The Disko Starz - Still Don't Wanna
Skingz - The Fakie and the Neighbor
Louis La Roche - Me and Her
Duck Sauce - aNYway

Instrumental

The Bird Ensemble - The Last Song Book

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #90 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.IIZUKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed.
Why has no one enumerated Green Day?
I only audition and am not buying it. ("21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN" Green Day)

Because it is a disappointment. Some reviewers got my hopes up with positive comparisons to American Idiot. But even after repeated listening, I just can't connect with it like some of their prior works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back