2009 - Your Favorite Releases So Far
Jul 28, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #61 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, it has a poor review(O.S.I) on AMG because its too melodic.., what has become of this world?..

A bunch of noises from ACollective gets 5 stars..

I don't think that's a fair characterization of the review, or of Animal Collective.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #62 of 197
Just for hilarity's sake...Sugar Ray, Music for Cougars
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #64 of 197
d7ad4d403352.jpg

I did not want to love this but in the end I fell in love with this CD.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #65 of 197
Beirut "March of the Zapotec" / Realpeople "Holland"

A Hawk and a Hacksaw "Délivrance"

Lady Sovereign "Jigsaw"

Milanese "Lockout"

Reformed Faction "I Am The Source of Light, I Am Not a Mirror" - the best packaging I have ever seen for a release. Check it out: Pictures

Regina Spektor "Far"

Throbbing Gristle "The Third Mind Movements"

Tim Hecker "An Imaginary Country"

Two Fingers "S/T"

Various Artists "Dark Was the Night"

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #66 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that's a fair characterization of the review, or of Animal Collective.

Also, on AMG, the AC album got 4.5 stars, not 5.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #67 of 197
Not to self-promote too much, but judging from all the Isis & Mastodon love, chances are you'd dig Vaka. Album was released in January this year. Doesn't sound like Isis or Mastodon but shares the same sort of general vibe. That and maybe throw in some Philip Glass.
I'm not gonna try and get you to buy it, just google Vaka "Kappa Delta Phi" site:blogspot.com and you'll find it on like a zillion blogs.
Or MySpace: VAKA on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #69 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexinExile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beirut "March of the Zapotec" / Realpeople "Holland"

Oh good call, I totally forgot about this release.

Normally Beirut isn't really my thing but that effort really worked for me for some reason.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #70 of 197
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Animals and Leaders - Animals and Leaders
Scale The Summit- Carving Desert Canyons
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot
Kalisia - Cybion

I'm sure I'm missing a couple and there are more that I'm looking forward to this year that haven't released yet...
Porcupine Tree, Third Eye Blind, Scar Symmetry, Between the Buried and Me, Threat Signal

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #71 of 197
Obviously the new Circulatory System Signal Morning is the record of the year. In fact, the vinyl October release pre-order page just went up today at Cloud Recordings. CD release this week. Been almost 8 years since the last one, and the psychedelic ride finally continues. Got my ticket
smily_headphones1.gif

Click pic for more info...

Edit: OK, so it's not this week anymore, CD release date is actually Sept 8 now. Been listening to a download for awhile and thought it was still this week. It really is a very cool record, one that pays off repeat listens too. Pretty dark and dense, so probably requires repeats to fully appreciate, if a person is inclined to take the trip. Both Bill Doss and Jeff Mangum in the mix too, along with every other member of Olivia Tremor Control. Maybe a new OTC in the future? Hmmm...

Also been listening a lot to the latest Jon Hassell release, Last Night the Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes in the Street. Very nice.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #73 of 197
I'm thinking Dead Weather's Horehound is going to be in my final top 10 list of 09.

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #75 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to check this out and can see why it has made so many lists. Oblivion, The Czar, and The Last Baron are orgasmicly good songs.

You and I must be thinking on the same wavelength, because those are my favorite three songs from the album as well only in opposite order.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back