2009 - Your Favorite Releases So Far
Jul 19, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #16 of 197
I'm impressed with the musical tastes of posters in this thread.

My top 10 of 2009 so far include (inpo):

U2 ~ No Line on the Horizon
Grizzly Bear ~ Veckatimest
Neko Case ~ Middle Cyclone
Yeah Yeah Yeahs ~ It's Blitz!
Various Artists ~ Dark Was the Night
Animal Collective ~ Merriweather Post Pavilion
The Dandy Warhols ~ The Dandy Warhols Are Sound
Leonard Cohen ~ Live in London
Pink Mountaintops ~ Outside Love
Dan Auerbach ~ Keep It Hid

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #17 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I haven't posted in enough threads already about how much I like this album:

osibloodcover.jpg

Grrr, it frustrated me that you showed the album cover, with no other information to track it down with. But I checked the image file name, and Googled "osi blood," and now I'm good to go.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #18 of 197
Don't know what Great musical releases for 2009 but I sure have seen alot of bad tatoos!

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #19 of 197
This thread is already full of Head-Fi music forum all stars. The A-listers bringini' their A game has made me smile. I listen to a ton o' electronic and pop music and tend to pick out other genre highlights form lists like these, so here's some of my faves:

Black Metoric Star: s/t - drugged out acid. Hypnotic, throbbing house from the gutter.
Boxcutter: Arecibo Massage - Boxcutter is usualy lumped in with Dubstep, but he's really a little too cerebal for that.
Minitel Rose - The French Machine - brewed up disco and electro tossed with equal parts glam and sleeze. Is there any wonder I liked it.
Telepathe: Dance Mother - hazy new wave redux. The album has a other world art gallery vibe with song titles like Chrome's On It.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs: It's Blitz - it has been a great year so far for pop. I could list many, but so far, Blitz is my fave.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #20 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been listening a lot to the new Manic Street Preachers, so that's probably the one for me right now. Journal for Plague Lovers. Not quite as dark and heavy as The Holy Bible (what is?), but does harken back to those times, maybe with a more refined viewpoint, more varied for sure with a mix of ballads, not as raw, nor as amazing, but still one of the best I've heard this year.

Hey Davey, where have you been? I miss your insightful reviews. I have enjoyed a lot of music that I otherwise would never have known about thanks to you. Thanks! I will definitely be checking out Manic Street Preachers...
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is already full of Head-Fi music forum all stars. The A-listers bringini' their A game has made me smile. I listen to a ton o' electronic and pop music and tend to pick out other genre highlights form lists like these, so here's some of my faves:

Good timing for this thread Viro. In addition to Davey's contribution, I need to be checking out some of the music mentioned...I plan, hopefully others will do likewise, to keep adding to this thread as 2009 continues...

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 197
1. The decemberists- The Hazards Of Love
2. Wilco- Wilco The Album
3. Steve Earle- Townes

and from Jazz though technically late 2008, but new to me in the spring of this year and a genuine surprise with how much I liked it.

Grace Kelly- Mood Changes- standout track is her cover of the Beatles "here there and everywhere". She's very young but very talented

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 197
No particular order:

1. Martyn - "Great Lengths"
2. Junior Boys - "Begone Dull Care"
3. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
4. The Field - "Yesterday and Today"
5. Tortoise - "Beacons of Ancestorship"

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 197
Mastodon - Crack The Sky

Just had a second relisten, it is definitely top rate material, very original sound from a mature band, i expect great releases from now on.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #24 of 197
Here are some of my 2009 favorites so far:

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Wilco - Wilco (the album)
Robyn Hitchcock - Goodnight Oslo
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
Salem - Astronaut
Maxwell - Blacksummers'night
Bat for Lashers - Two Suns
Doves - Kingdom of Rust

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #25 of 197
Lee Fields My World

22053072ee4f957478483bf5b9b39422.jpg

Quote:

Highly anticipated full-length offering from the legendary Lee Fields. T&S are ready to bring Lee to light with a brand new album of beat-heavy, deep soul ballads that will show soul-revivalists the world over what real soul is.

best disc from 2009 for me! mix Amy Winehouse & James Brown...and you get Lee Fields
beerchug.gif

Lee Fields – My World « Flea Market Funk

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #26 of 197
My top 5 (in no particular order):

1) Dan Deacon -- Bromst
A lot of fun, and a great-sounding album. Fun to listen to, fun to hear.
2) Christian McBride -- Kind of Brown
Stereophile wrote this one up for good reason.
3) Bill Callahan -- Sometimes I wish we were an Eagle
I loved Smog, and I love this. Listen to "Eid Ma Clack Shaw" for a good taste.
4) Gallows -- Grey Britain
Another pitchfork favorite, surprise surprise. Like the Sex Pistols got in a car crash with Motorhead. Really a great album.
5) Mastodon -- Crack the Skye
Listen to "The Czar" and tell me this isn't amazing stuff. Metal for non metalheads, myself included.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #28 of 197
Some favorites so far:
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
Dan Auerbach - Keep It Hid
ISIS - Wavering Radiant
mewithoutYou - Its all crazy! Its all false! Its all a dream! Its alright

I was expecting more from ISIS and mwY, but they are still solid releases. The second half of this year looks to be even better for new releases with bands like Porcupine Tree, Thrice, Cave In, Amplifier, Oceansize, The Mercury Program, Russian Circles, Mute Math and Muse releasing new albums or EPs.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #29 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some favorites so far:
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
Dan Auerbach - Keep It Hid
ISIS - Wavering Radiant
mewithoutYou - Its all crazy! Its all false! Its all a dream! Its alright

I was expecting more from ISIS and mwY, but they are still solid releases. The second half of this year looks to be even better for new releases with bands like Porcupine Tree, Thrice, Cave In, Amplifier, Oceansize, Mute Math and Muse releasing new albums or EPs.

Cave-In's dropping something new this year??
Lets hope its more in line with Jupiter and not the other crap that followed...

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #30 of 197
So far my faves have been:
White Lies - To Lose My Life
Starsailor - All The Plans
Glasvegas - Glasvegas
Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
Pet Shop Boys - Yes

I'm looking forward to Muse and Editors' new ones later this year. Need to check out Manic Street Preachers' new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back