2009 - Your Favorite Releases So Far
Jul 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #31 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computer Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Circulatory System - Signal Morning

not officially released yet, but...

Yea, as you might imagine after seeing my current avatar, that's at the top of my highly anticipated release list too. Should be great, especially after so many years!

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #32 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I will definitely be checking out Manic Street Preachers...
cool.gif

Pretty hard rockin CD. Recorded by Albini, but mastered way too loud like everything else these days. Sometimes ya gotta wonder why bands go to the trouble and the expense to record their music a special way, just to have the corporate mastering machine at Sony turn it to crap. You'd think after so many years they would have more say in the release, which makes me think they probably want it like this too. Oh well, it's not as bad as some, but still makes me long for the good "ol" days of 1994 ... below is opening track from The Holy Bible vs opener on the new one ....

1994_vs_2009.jpg

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty hard rockin CD. Recorded by Albini, but mastered way too loud like everything else these days. Sometimes ya gotta wonder why bands go to the trouble and the expense to record their music a special way, just to have the corporate mastering machine at Sony turn it to crap. You'd think after so many years they would have more say in the release, which makes me think they probably want it like this too. Oh well, it's not as bad as some, but still makes me long for the good "ol" days of 1994 ... below is opening track from The Holy Bible vs opener on the new one ....

I am reading about this "loudness" issue more and more. Apparently the people making the decisions aren't reading the same things.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #35 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1994_vs_2009.jpg

Holy moly. Looks like "Death Magnetic".

Slight more on topic... I still have to put some more listening into "The Holy Bible" - it's not a very easy album to listen to.

Even more on topic... I haven't really listened to many of this year's albums yet. I have "Dark Was the Night" but am not blown away by it. I like the "War Child Presents Heroes" covers comp better. Need to track down the new Dino Jr. and maybe listen to Wilco - s/t. My girlfriend also has the new U2 so I should also give that a spin.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #37 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by mteorman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slight more on topic... I still have to put some more listening into "The Holy Bible" - it's not a very easy album to listen to.

The Manics hate Sony for what they do anyway so I dunno if they give in or give up!
Anyhoo... IMO "The Holy Bible" still remains to be their best album (well... to be fair I haven't heard the new one yet), it's quite dark (for the Manics) and utterly haunting; it can be a challenging album to listen to but very rewarding. "4st 7lbs" can almost be Richey Edwards' autobiography.

How does Journal for Plague Lovers compare to the rest of their catalog?

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #38 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cave-In's dropping something new this year??
Lets hope its more in line with Jupiter and not the other crap that followed...

They're releasing a vinyl-only EP this month, I think. They just put up one song on iTunes, but I haven't heard it yet. They also played a one-off reunion show (with hopefully more to follow) tonight in Boston. It sold out within 10 minutes. I agree, Antenna was a letdown, but I thought Perfect Pitch Black was excellent.

Edit: Here is the new EP in its entirety: http://planetsofold.com/

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #39 of 197
JD Allen - Shine

Oumou Sangare - Seya

Sonic Youth - The Eternal

Martial Solal - Live at the Village Vanguard: I Can't Give You Anything But Love

Wussy - Be Here Now

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #40 of 197
Here's my Top 10 so far:
  • Joe Bonamassa - The Ballad of John Henry (Blues Rock, Rock)
  • Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle (Singer/Songwriter, Alt-Country)
  • Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles (Technical Death Metal, Brutal Death Metal)
  • Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (Post-Rock)
  • Antony and the Johnsons - The Crying Light (Chamber Pop, Singer/Songwriter)
  • maudlin of the Well - Part the Second (Progressive Rock, Art Rock)
  • Dan Auerbach - Keep It Hid (Rock, Blues, Singer/Songwriter)
  • Kylesa - Static Tensions (Sludge Metal, Stoner Metal)
  • Candlemass - Death Magic Doom (Traditional Doom Metal, Doom Metal)
  • Celeste - Misanthrope(s) (Post-Hardcore, Screamo)

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #41 of 197
All electronic and at the moment just 1 definite:

dj sprinkles - midtown 120 blues

Runners up:

alva noto - xerrox pt2
arc of doves - impressions
bibio - ambivalence avenue
water field - reborn intellectual

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #42 of 197
The short list so far...

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
It may not have the emotional depth throughout that Fox Confessor... has, but there are some amazing tracks and nothing really misses the mark. "Polar Nettles", "Middle Cyclone", "I'm An Animal" and "The Pharaohs" are the stand-outs.

The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
Epic. I've never really connected with Crane Wife, but I understand its merits. But the rock opera plus Shara Worden equals good stuff.

Metric - Fantasies
A great, upbeat album that is stronger from start to finish than previous efforts.

The Gathering - The West Pole
I would've thought that the loss of Anneke would have left them scrambling, but this is an excellent group of well-crafted songs, and while the vocals aren't a big departure from Anneke's, they don't feel like a cheap imitation.

Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
An odd album that is both less adventurous and harder to get into (or at least harder to connect with emotionally).

A Camp - Colonia
I just love Nina Perrson!

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #44 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Field - "Yesterday and Today

Good call, I thought it was a little disjointed at first, but darn if it doesn't grow on me more with each listen. You're onto something here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Dan Deacon -- Bromst A lot of fun, and a great-sounding album. Fun to listen to, fun to hear.

Yet dare I say a tad bit more reflective and melancholy than his prior works? Great album, more head-fi'ers should latch onto it for the odd world beauty that Deacon creates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All electronic and at the moment just 1 definite:
bibio - ambivalence avenue

Nice list moriez, I picked up Ambivalence 'cause of the thread you began; need to let it seap a little more.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #45 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grrr, it frustrated me that you showed the album cover, with no other information to track it down with. But I checked the image file name, and Googled "osi blood," and now I'm good to go.
tongue.gif

Haha, sorry for the horrible oversight!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back