2009 College Football Thread
Dec 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #782 of 1,108
I blame it all on the conference tie-ins to the bowls. Rose Bowl gets PAC 10/Big 10, Sugar Bowl gets SEC and so on. Need to do away with all the tie-ins and then any matchup would be possible. I do disagree with TCU vs BSU being second most watched game though. My bet goes to FLA vs Cinn. Much more interesting matchup IMO.

As much as the system is flawed, I think the funniest part is that with everything going on in the world, congress is concerned with the BCS. Fix everything else first and then we can worry about college football.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #783 of 1,108
I might be the only one, but my nagging feeling so far is that UF won't give a flying bucket of crap about the Sugar. That team has nothing left to play for. Strong is shopping around. A bunch are thinking about the draft. A team that has experienced its share of disciplinary problems, is gong to spend a week in New Orleans. It all adds up badly to me.

Of course Cinci has its own distractions. No matter the outcome, I think they have a lot more to prove than the Gators. Strictly x's and o's, I like the Florida, if they care.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #784 of 1,108
Gators ain't that way. They get on the field, they want to win. They saw Bama get beat by Utah so they know what can happen. Cinn might beat them but it won't be because the Gators lay down. Besides, the Bearcats may be playing without a HC. Hasn't he done this number before?

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #785 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gators ain't that way. They get on the field, they want to win. They saw Bama get beat by Utah so they know what can happen. Cinn might beat them but it won't be because the Gators lay down. Besides, the Bearcats may be playing without a HC. Hasn't he done this number before?

The Gators impressed me greatly in 2006 BCS NC game against Ohio State, most thought it would be close game........Gators absolutely detroyed them 41-14, held buckeyes to 82 yds total offense

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #786 of 1,108
Quote:

They get on the field, they want to win.

Sure, I agree and think that can be said of most teams on gameday. My reference was more toward the weeks leading up to the bowl. Whoever Cinci's HC should be, this is the strategy I would suggest. Go to the Holtz playbook and sandbag to the high heavens.

"Florida is the greatest team I've ever seen." "Their accomplishments speak for themselves." "We have a lot of work cut out for us." "I can't believe they lost a game," and so forth. Talk up the Gators to every mic that crosses his path.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #787 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, I agree and think that can be said of most teams on gameday. My reference was more toward the weeks leading up to the bowl. Whoever Cinci's HC should be, this is the strategy I would suggest. Go to the Holtz playbook and sandbag to the high heavens.

"Florida is the greatest team I've ever seen." "Their accomplishments speak for themselves." "We have a lot of work cut out for us." "I can't believe they lost a game," and so forth. Talk up the Gators to every mic that crosses his path.

That wasn't at the Orange Bowl was it?
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #788 of 1,108
Quote:

Cincy will be gutted for Sugar Bowl if Kelly takes ND job, he calls offensive plays personally from sidelines......

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #789 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cincy will be gutted for Sugar Bowl if Kelly takes ND job, he calls offensive plays personally from sidelines......

I just can't see him being ND's best choice. Still wondering if one of the big names that is "not going to be ND's next coach" will in fact be ND's next coach. I just don't see a hot up and coming coach being able to turn the program around. They are going to need an established big name coach to draw the recruits. That, and lower their academic standards about 25%.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #791 of 1,108
Quote:

That wasn't at the Orange Bowl was it?
wink.gif

Exactly! BTW, tell the Hog staff to lay off Eddrick Loften,
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm well aware. That would definitely be a disadvantage if he did not stay for the game and all the more reason to pull out all the tricks. Was that your point? Some of the time I am a little thick and don't get the trail offs.......

May I offer a somewhat similar situation. In 2007 West Virginia's head coach and play caller left for Michigan. The then interim coach employed the same sandbaggin' strategy mentioned above and defeated a widely held favorite in the '08 Fiesta bowl.

Although I will probably pick Florida, to me it's something to ponder as I address my bowl pick 'em. Of course you know not every favorite is going to win.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #792 of 1,108
Lane Kiffin could do a better job of covering his tracks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/sp...wt&twt=nytimes

This quote really cracked me up-

“That’s real exciting, getting people like that wanting to support you,” Jones said Tuesday night in a telephone interview.

Yeah, I bet it is. I'm sure they'll do a real good job of supporting you.

I imagine going through the recruiting process is quite a lot of fun.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #793 of 1,108
Quote:

Exactly! BTW, tell the Hog staff to lay off Eddrick Loften,
tongue.gif

Hasn't he comitted to OU. I just refuse to believe we would even consider talking to a recruit who has already comitted to another school.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #794 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lane Kiffin could do a better job of covering his tracks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/sp...wt&twt=nytimes

This quote really cracked me up-

“That’s real exciting, getting people like that wanting to support you,” Jones said Tuesday night in a telephone interview.

Yeah, I bet it is. I'm sure they'll do a real good job of supporting you.

I imagine going through the recruiting process is quite a lot of fun.

Kiffin will be gone in two years. He is a train wreck waiting to^X^X^X^X^X^X^X^X^X happening now.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #795 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kiffin will be gone in two years. He is a train wreck waiting to^X^X^X^X^X^X^X^X^X happening now.

Not if brings the Vols back. They will put up with a lot in K'ville if they are winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back