2009 College Football Thread
Nov 24, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #527 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A
The MAC and WAC don't deserve spots. Not with their current membership. Sorry to hurt feelings, but an undefeated MAC or WAC team < 1 or 2 loss ACC/Big10/Big12/SEC team.

That's an arbitrary argument with a slippery slope. Darwinism is easy to espouse when one is atop the hill and sets the rules for anyone who wishes to ascend.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #529 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an arbitrary argument with a slippery slope. Darwinism is easy to espouse when one is atop the hill and sets the rules for anyone who wishes to ascend.

Viro...it's football, not a life statement. You have to prove you belong. Short of a playoff system, that's not going to happen for a WAC or MWC team. It's not that I don't think Boise or TCU is BCS material; it's just that they don't play the competition that would allow them to prove that.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #530 of 1,108
They can't prove it. The opportunity isn't there. TCU can't control how tough its conference schedule is no more than Texas. The Horned Frogs can travel to Clemson and Virginia, even that is short of what is required. The only thing they can do, is schedule road trips to USC, Florida, and Texas next year, if they schedule them that is and pray to make it through a stretch not even the most tradition rich, talent laden school would.

Even then, there will be something wrong with it. So you better play three nightmare non con's, go undefeated, hope there there are no undefeated BCS conference schools, and then, maybe just then you'll get a shot. No wait, Oregon State has only one loss in the Pac! Give it to the Beavers. We ain't goin' to have no stinkin' Junior colleges in our show.

The whole lot of it is B.S. and disgusts me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie
Hey Viro, out of curiousity, what part of OK are you located? I was born in Ponca City and later moved to the eastern part of the state.

Edmond, season ticket holder for the University of Oklahoma!

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #531 of 1,108
They can't control that their schedule isn't tougher, but the bigger schools can't control that their schedule is so tough. And yes, when you're a non-BCS school, your aim should be either be to join a BCS conference or play a non-conference slate to prove that you should be. You can't boost the non-BCS schools without unfairly hurting the BCS schools. Putting an undefeated MWC school over a 1 or 2 loss SEC school is just as much B.S. but on the other side of the bull.

And no argument about the Pathetic 10.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's the biggest joke of a conference there is in the BCS. One dominant school and a few up & downs do not a conference make.

Quote:

They can't prove it. The opportunity isn't there. TCU can't control how tough its conference schedule is no more than Texas. The Horned Frogs can travel to Clemson and Virginia, even that is short of what is required. The only thing they can do, is schedule road trips to USC, Florida, and Texas next year, if they schedule them that is and pray to make it through a stretch not even the most tradition rich, talent laden school would.

Even then, there will be something wrong with it. So you better play three nightmare non con's, go undefeated, hope there there are no undefeated BCS conference schools, and then, maybe just then you'll get a shot. No wait, Oregon State has only one loss in the Pac! Give it to the Beavers. We ain't goin' to have no stinkin' Junior colleges in our show.

The whole lot of it is B.S. and disgusts me.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #532 of 1,108
Quote:

Putting an undefeated MWC school over a 1 or 2 loss SEC school is just as much B.S. but on the other side of the bull.

I don't think so because while one can argue schedule strength, one can't prove a loss that doesn't exist. To me it's just another curtain to hide behind.

Quote:

And no argument about the Pathetic 10 .

That's your projection, not my sentiment. I have nothing against the Pac Ten.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #533 of 1,108
Quote:

And no argument about the Pathetic 10.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's the biggest joke of a conference there is in the BCS. One dominant school and a few up & downs do not a conference make.

Oh that is soooooooooo wrong..........
but I will not convince you with verbal arguments, the bowl games will show the quality/depth of the Pac 10 is this year, there are many very good teams (Oregon, Oregon St, USC, Arizona, Stanford) and no clearly dominant team this year

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #534 of 1,108
Quote:

I don't think so because while one can argue schedule strength, one can't prove a loss that doesn't exist. To me it's just another curtain to hide behind.

That's your projection, not my sentiment. I have nothing against the Pac Ten.

Schedule strength is and should be everything. The fact that a non-BCS conference team runs the table should be a given in their situation, not something rewarded.

Perhaps, and no words-in-your-mouth intended. I think the PAC-10 is grossly overrated, largely in part because of USC's steamrolling during the Carroll era. Oregon about every other year or so is high quality, and who else do they consistently have? A conference full of mediocre teams racking up big points against other mediocre teams is not impressive.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #535 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh that is soooooooooo wrong..........
but I will not convince you with verbal arguments, the bowl games will show the quality/depth of the Pac 10 is this year, there are many very good teams (Oregon, Oregon St, USC, Arizona, Stanford) and no clearly dominant team this year

beerchug.gif
A bunch of middling teams doesn't indicate quality. But that's just me.
biggrin.gif

In my opinion, bowl games aren't a great end-all/be-all test of good or bad. That month layoff really hurts some squads. But it shows coaching staff quality or lack thereof.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #536 of 1,108
Quote:

Schedule strength is and should be everything. The fact that a non-BCS conference team runs the table should be a given in their situation, not something rewarded..

Hardly, I addressed SOS earlier. And to suggest that an undefeated season is a given, is shortsighted. Perfect campaigns are an achievement on any level of sport with a good sized regular season. It's petty to suggest other wise.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #537 of 1,108
Quote:

Used to go by there a lot when I would go to visit my aunt and uncle in OKC.

Some pretty good games on this weekend. Plan on vegging out starting with Texas/Texas A&M on Thanksgiving night, Bama/Auburn on friday, Arkansas/LSU, OU/OSU, Ole Miss/MSU, and Florida/FSU on saturday. Man what a weekend for rivalries.

Lord I hope MSU pulls it out against Ole Miss.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #538 of 1,108
Yep, this is the last really big CFB weekend with lots of games. After this, the quantity of games falls off to a trickle. Can't believe we're already at that point.

I'm taking The Hogs over the Bayou Bengals, and while I will be routing for upsets, I don't really expect any other than that one.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #539 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Used to go by there a lot when I would go to visit my aunt and uncle in OKC.

Some pretty good games on this weekend. Plan on vegging out starting with Texas/Texas A&M on Thanksgiving night, Bama/Auburn on friday, Arkansas/LSU, OU/OSU, Ole Miss/MSU, and Florida/FSU on saturday. Man what a weekend for rivalries.

Lord I hope MSU pulls it out against Ole Miss.

Agree this is week of "in state" rivalry or "bragging rites"
Oregon vs Oregon St will be a real war, these are two very good teams

I hope Auburn and Fla St put up a good fight, an upset in either game
could open the door for TCU Hornfrogs to play for national championship
smile.gif

BTW
Do you agree with Sky that unranked Arkansas will take out LSU?
It is possible but not as likely as last weeks Ole Miss triumph, also I think Ole Miss will roll over Miss St......they did not impress me

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #540 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, this is the last really big CFB weekend with lots of games. After this, the quantity of games falls off to a trickle. Can't believe we're already at that point.

I'm taking The Hogs over the Bayou Bengals, and while I will be routing for upsets, I don't really expect any other than that one.

If we were to beat LSU, I wouldn't really consider it an upset. This has been one crazy season and we are just on the edge of turning it to the good. We don't need to play over the top, just to our potential and that will be enough. LSU has got some key players with injuries also, so anything could happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back