2009 College Football Thread
Nov 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #496 of 1,108
Hmmmm...TCU is an OK fit for the Big Ten - but Utah? That's awfully far away. Plus then we'd have 13 teams
wink.gif
So maybe TCU to the Big Ten, and Utah and Boise to the Pac Ten (since they are both public schools). Not sure where that leaves BYU, though.

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #497 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm...TCU is an OK fit for the Big Ten - but Utah? That's awfully far away. Plus then we'd have 13 teams
wink.gif
So maybe TCU to the Big Ten, and Utah and Boise to the Pac Ten (since they are both public schools). Not sure where that leaves BYU, though.

Oh, my bad. Just assumed Big 10 had 10 teams. Must be a yankee thing.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #499 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I gathered you as a big SEC homer ronniee, but it's that bad?
tongue.gif
It's not like Penn State just joined the Big Ten last week. They even hid the 11 in the logo:

bigtenlogo300x200.jpg

Man I just never bothered counting the teams. Just assumed if it was the Big Ten, they had 10 teams. My question is why not the Big Eleven?

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #500 of 1,108
Indeed - the Big Ten is a figurative name for the conference - not a literal one anymore
wink.gif

It's not the Big Eleven because of TRADITION. It's been the Big Ten for more than 100 years - there is no point in changing it. Plus if we get to 12 teams, it seems to me the Big 12 is already taken
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It was basically planned back in the 90's that it would eventually include Notre Dame. But that feel through, and now that ND plays in the Big East in all sports but Football (something the BE agreed to but that the B10 never would), ND will never be in the B10. If they join a conference in football, it will be the BE.

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #502 of 1,108
LOL! Yeah, we're all pretty sick of Ohio State. But Penn State had a few rough seasons not that long ago, and Michigan is in a rough patch now - so tOSU will get theirs.

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #503 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, are you hitting the crack pipe? TCU has played nobody. I say again, TCU has played nobody. As far as Oregon goes, bring em on. SEC will show them how to play some football.

Really?
TCU Football - Horned Frogs News, Schedule, Players, Stats, Video - College Football - ESPN

Wins @Clemson (Currently Top20 and potential ACC Champion), @BYU (Crushed, were at one point top 10 and beat OU on the road) @ Air Force (Highly underrated team), and crushed Utah at home.

You sound like all the homers that prophesied my Utes were going to get killed by Bama in the Sugar Bowl, only to have to choke on your words after the Tide got rolled.

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #504 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuviaq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?
TCU Football - Horned Frogs News, Schedule, Players, Stats, Video - College Football - ESPN

Wins @Clemson (Currently Top20 and potential ACC Champion), @BYU (Crushed, were at one point top 10 and beat OU on the road) @ Air Force (Highly underrated team), and crushed Utah at home.

You sound like all the homers that prophesied my Utes were going to get killed by Bama in the Sugar Bowl, only to have to choke on your words after the Tide got rolled.

Being a Utah fan you know/watched the Hornfrogs just give them a real beat down, I believe Utah coach said afterwards it was best team he has ever played......
bigsmile_face.gif

I will admit other teams have much tougher overall schedule, but I have seen enough to convince me

I have been a TCU advocate for several weeks now, they can beat any team right now straight up, I hope they can catch a break and play for national championship

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #505 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will admit other teams have much tougher overall schedule, but I have seen enough to convince me

I have been a TCU advocate for several weeks now, they can beat any team right now straight up, I hope they can catch a break and play for national championship

Bingo. Exactly why they should not be rewarded a championship game. They are going to have to do something about their schedule. How can a team be a champion when they have not faced the best. Being a champion does not mean having the ability to get up for one game and manage to pull out a win. It means facing tough opponents through the season and coming out victorious at the end of the season. IMO a 1 loss SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, or Big 12 team would deserve a shot more than an undefeated WAC or MAC team. But you know what they say about opinions.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #506 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bingo. Exactly why they should not be rewarded a championship game. They are going to have to do something about their schedule. How can a team be a champion when they have not faced the best. Being a champion does not mean having the ability to get up for one game and manage to pull out a win. It means facing tough opponents through the season and coming out victorious at the end of the season.

Exactly the argument that should be made every time a Boise State or a Utah or the PAC-10, most years, cries about being left out of a national championship game.

College football fans as a whole whine about the weak OOC scheduling that most Div I teams do, but when the sports pundits seem to put so much more emphasis on going undefeated than anything else, why would a BCS conference school do anything else?

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #507 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly the argument that should be made every time a Boise State or a Utah or the PAC-10, most years, cries about being left out of a national championship game.

College football fans as a whole whine about the weak OOC scheduling that most Div I teams do, but when the sports pundits seem to put so much more emphasis on going undefeated than anything else, why would a BCS conference school do anything else?

Believe it or not it also puts a lot of money in their pockets. One school that played Arkansas this year claims they made more mony on that road game than some of their home games. I have heard that from other schools also. It is the only way some teams get on Network TV, and that is where the money is.

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #509 of 1,108
New Mexico State couldn't even afford practice snacks for the football team, apparently, until they went up to Columbus and picked up the check for getting blasted by the Bucks at the Shoe. Then they had plenty of money for snacks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back