2008 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest
Oct 17, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But by "save" it, Bill does not mean "invest" it. You'd do better to buy some pasta.

As we know, this isn't an 'investment' hobby - my bank isn't happy that my money is tied up in bits of sand and silk.

I found the 7000's a bit heavy on the bass, could have been the source. It would be nice to audition on a familiar amp.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #20 of 31
Anyone visit the MBL room?

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 31
Yeah, I saw your monsters. They were really poorly positioned in the room, though, against the long wall with a huge bass chamber (kitchen nook) against the back wall. No matter where I sat they were boomy and inarticulate, which is not like I've heard them at previous shows.

I don't remember the associated equipment, but I have a picture of it somewhere. They had their own amps, ofc.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Yeah, I saw your monsters. They were really poorly positioned in the room, though, against the long wall with a huge bass chamber (kitchen nook) against the back wall. No matter where I sat they were boomy and inarticulate, which is not like I've heard them at previous shows.

I don't remember the associated equipment, but I have a picture of it somewhere. They had their own amps, ofc.

Nah! You've got to be kidding me! MBL systems even sound good on YouTube (use a pair of custom IEMs to do it justice): YouTube - MBL Speakers

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah! You've got to be kidding me! MBL systems even sound good on YouTube (use a pair of custom IEMs to do it justice): YouTube - MBL Speakers

Perhaps the power in the building was tired or there were too many rows of chairs - but the sound did not match the looks. I'm with (and was) with Sherwood on this visit - I think the suite and that strange dividing wall to the kitchen were working against the presentation.

The trip overall renewed my interest in music presented by speakers - I'd certainly give the MBLs another listen - judgment reserved!

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #24 of 31
Quick D7K impressions - super late

It's still a Denon, and it sounds like the D5k to me. There is not really a world of difference between the two at all. They do sound different, but I wasn't struck with anything readily. The bass is still there and the highs are. I'm not a D5K fan. I like the D2ks better but I don't really love the D2ks.

The pairs I was listening to had only a handful of hours on them - so the bass was really loose andt he highs were harsh - I fully expect those issues to resolve with burn-in, but to what extent I do not know. The bass goes pretty deep and seems to have good resonant capabilities throughout the whole bass spectrum. It'll just be a matter of how tight it gets. I wasn't struck by soundstage but I already have high standards so it may be that it is on par with what I am used to (Edition 9 / HD600)

The music wasn't my stuff, nor my rig, so that hurts impressions.

I've never been a Denon fan but I won't call these bad, either. I'm interested in hearing these with proper hours put on them. And how others will feel about them. I know there are plenty of Denon fans who I am sure would have something more approving to say. I am sure that these are an upgrade on the D5Ks.

I am in the midst of talking to headroom about them sending some stuff (these included) out here for our meet and for me to take with to the chicago chiun-fi meet a week after that. (I'm hosting a 'private' mini-meet at the start of November)

Hopefully I'll get something more extensive going.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #25 of 31
Did anyone listen to the Kimber Kable/Pass Labs/Emm Labs/Sound Lab electrostat setup?

This is the room: (panels in the background)

kimberzp6.jpg

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #26 of 31
Luminette and I spent a lot of good time in that room.

Apparently, this year was the last that Ray is bringing the big Sound Labs. The system sounded truly phenomenal, even the dynamics he brought.

What would you like to know about it, J-Pak?

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #27 of 31
Just curious about any impressions really. The Sound Lab Majestic 945 are near the very top of the list of speakers I would like to hear/buy since there are very few electrostatic speaker makers. Unfortunately there are no dealers in my area, and only a few owners.

It's true it's the last year Ray Kimber will be hauling them to any audio shows.

Were they letting people use their own music, or was it just the IsoMike recordings?

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #28 of 31
It was all IsoMike stuff, since that's the stuff he's there to sell. None of the music was familiar to me, unfortunately, but the incredible depth of field the soundlabs gave was awe-inspiring. He had 250 watts of Pass Power running into them from EMMLabs gear, but they were really something else. I've heard them twice at that show, now, and they command the majority of my time.

Their bass is really tremendous, especially for an electrostat. It sounded slightly drier than the bass from the dynamic sonys he had there.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

It was all IsoMike stuff, since that's the stuff he's there to sell. None of the music was familiar to me, unfortunately, but the incredible depth of field the soundlabs gave was awe-inspiring. He had 250 watts of Pass Power running into them from EMMLabs gear, but they were really something else. I've heard them twice at that show, now, and they command the majority of my time.

Their bass is really tremendous, especially for an electrostat. It sounded slightly drier than the bass from the dynamic sonys he had there.

That's very cool. I'm sad that I'll never get to hear his custom setup. Though his panels that he used for the shows are now for sale on Audiogon, but his Emm Labs gear is the professional stuff, not the consumer versions.

The incredible bass that I've read about in the PX panels is what is really attracting me to the Majestics. I need Omega 2 quality bass in a speaker
o2smile.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need Omega 2 quality bass in a speaker
o2smile.gif

I think these may just be up your alley, then. If he's selling the panels on A'Gon, then I fully believe he's done hauling them around. Shame, though, as they are my favorite part of the show every year.

I've not heard any of the lower soundlabs, but I assume the bass response would suffer slightly just from the decreased panel size. Nonetheless, the bass is always what impressed me about his setup. Legendary depth of soundstage is to be assumed on giant 'stats, but the bass is a nice bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back