2008 NBA Playoffs Thread
Jun 14, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #316 of 350
Ray-Ray for MVP! After being sporadic all year, he comes up big when it matters most. Typical for Allen, he's always been a clutch player. He's one of my all-time favs, very happy to see him (probably) get a ring and be a key factor while doing so.

It would have been a shame to see Pierce and KG go ringless too after busting their rumps night in and night out for pitiful teams that obviously had no chance to go anywhere. Two class acts that are a credit to the game of basketball. It's great to see a Sun Devil in the mix as well, one of the best Sun Devil hoopsters ever, Eddie House! Good on ya Eddie! Go Devils!

It's not an if at this point, it's just when... hopefully they don't let the Lakers hang around and finish them on Sunday. Go Green!

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #317 of 350
I was surprised that some many analysts were picking LA. By game 6 of the Detroit series, it was clear that the Celtics had their A- game working. That's good enough for them to beat any team.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #318 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gasol has been really disappointing in this series. I don't really follow the Lakers, but I knew Gasol from his past on the Grizzlies, where he seemed like a constant 20/10 guy. I'm not sure if he's played this way ever since joining the Lakers, but he looks nothing like I remember him in recent years. More of a Rik Smits than a Tim Duncan, unfortunately for the Lakers.

But that said, there really isn't another remotely HOF-worthy player on the Lakers. It's not really a surprise that Kobe can't carry a team, on his own, through the highest level of competition. Nearly all the past champions have boasted at least two HOF'ers, or guys performing at a HOF level that year (think Dwyane Wade a couple years ago). As much as the media likes to make Kobe out to be MJ's successor, even MJ had Pippen. If Gasol were playing up to his capabilities, the Lakers would have had a much better shot, as Kobe would have had a proper All-Star sidekick.

Gasol has been amazing, right up until the Celtics where he's been lack-luster at best.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #319 of 350
LA needs to learn how to play defense if it wants to win championships. Boston had to many easy lay ups, uncontested dunks, and open jump shots. Look at the opposite end and you see Boston playing great D- switching defenders, weakside help, great rotation on double teams and hands in the face of shooters. Look at the Phoenix Suns with as many great players and superstars as they have- they have never gotten past the second round of the playoffs. You think they'll ever win a championship with their style of basketball- NO.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #320 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerby1280 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LA needs to learn how to play defense if it wants to win championships. Boston had to many easy lay ups, uncontested dunks, and open jump shots. Look at the opposite end and you see Boston playing great D- switching defenders, weakside help, great rotation on double teams and hands in the face of shooters. Look at the Phoenix Suns with as many great players and superstars as they have- they have never gotten past the second round of the playoffs. You think they'll ever win a championship with their style of basketball- NO.

LA win G5, but it was a sloppy game.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #321 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah... entirely too stressful for me. Is it too much to ask for LA to blow out the Celtics twice at the Garden? Would certainly help out my nerves...

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #322 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... entirely too stressful for me. Is it too much to ask for LA to blow out the Celtics twice at the Garden? Would certainly help out my nerves...

Unfortunately it's probably too much to ask, given how they've been playing. Unless they turn things around, it's been some ugly basketball.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #323 of 350
Good - enough - game by the Lakers. A lot of folks harp on Kobe, but it's just him getting guarded well.

He's NOT a Michael Jordan, but his presence allows others on the team to be able to make plays. He had some bad plays tonight - I'd really say less-than-great - but as the announcers pointed out, the whole team needed to defend better.

This would have been a COMPLETELY different series if LA came back all the way in game 2 like Boston did in game 4. For me, I'm thankful they didn't.

Hoping/looking forward to a championship won in front of the home crowd....

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #324 of 350
I think KG needs to step it up to seal the deal on the Lakers, he's not having the best performances lately. For some reason I'm kind of worried that the Lakers are going to come back, cause I feel like if anyone were to do it it'd be the Lakers.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #325 of 350
You know, oneeeeeee of these days, some team will come back down 3-1 in the finals. I give this Laker edition approx. .00000000001% chance of winning game six, let alone seven in Boston. Still, if I were a Boston fan, I wouldn't be purchasing the ticker tape yet with a certain 04 team and a certain ALCS in mind.

Anyway, Green played flip a switch, and it bit them this time. They'll get back in front of their fans and wrap this puppy up.

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #326 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They got lucky that Kobe didn't get a foul called on that steal at the end of the game.

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #327 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They got lucky that Kobe didn't get a foul called on that steal at the end of the game.

Am elated someone else stated this before I was about to.

The refs pretty much gave the Lakers every call in Game 5 throughout. The guys calling the game did not even speak to KB's foul in the end stripping the ball (I mean fouling) which would have sent PP to the line to tie the game. There were at 3 no calls where PP was fouled going to the basket that were not called, and another hundred fouls between Gasol and Sasha that were not called.

I would rather have seen a 40 point blowout than have the game be so close and have fouls being favored to one club to make the actual difference.

KG needed to make his FT's and step it up more playing and with not fouling. PP had a super game on both sides, as did the C's bench. LA looked sharp and despite the unusual subs, the team looked more in control of their half court and transitional game. Rondo still has drive deep to the paint and pass syndrome when he should lay it in, too much thought there - just pop it.

My wife is glad the series pushed on, I had a bitter taste in my mouth courtesy of the refs. Lets see how Boston responds back East.

Nice to Jack N standing, cheering, and yelling so much. ..reminds me of his participation in the 80's in the series play.

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #328 of 350
Yeah, all year long these celtics have played "Ugly" ball sometimes sloppy and at times with K.G. or Paul or Ray being effectively taken out of the game which was on display in G5 especially in terms of K.G.s play in the last few minutes. Of course, his early foul troubles had him playing softer than he normally would of on D, and one of those fouls seemed to be a good block, but no excuses from me. Lakers did what they had to do, and did it without going one man show, to their credit as a team with both Odem and the poodle actually showing some toughness. Kudos to them for that! With Kobe having another 34%(?) shoothing night 8 for 21 gritty team play prevailed for the Lakes... It wasn't pretty, and I'd rather the refs let them play than otherwise bias the game, so its all good to me, but I would say that reach in / around by Kobe with a minute of clock was a 4 point turnaround that sealed it, really...

I was actually hoping for an extended series for the extra drama and excietment...So long as that doesn't come back to bite 'em; Its all good
wink.gif

Pierce really was a horse to ride out there as he has shown to be all year long, spectacular game he plays, so long as he stays out of foul trouble and is able to play aggressively.

Another note is to how well the paint is taken away by the greens quick rotations and help D, so often taking charges which has been a staple of this team year long, gritty hardnosed play to man up against a head on colision. Again, one of those calls(of 4 IIRC) that went to the Cs may have been questionable but its probably the most difficult judgement in hoops to call...

Good Stuff!

One win away in Boston Garden for Banner #17

GO Celtics~

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #329 of 350
yet another example of just how awful officiating is in the NBA. david stern needs to get his head out of his ass. not to mention that bavetta was awful as usual.

lakers won't win both in boston, in fact, i doubt they'll make it past game 6. doc rivers needs to realize that rondo just plain sucks. can you go for the damn open layup rather than driving in and then passing it when you have the open shot? he has too much faith in that kid and needs to recognize that posey and house are clearly playing better.

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #330 of 350
Game 6 will be officiated/decided by Eddie F. Rush, Bennett Salvatore, and Joey Crawford. Hold on to your butts! Rush isn't so horrible, but Salvatore is AWFUL. Joey Crawford will probably hand about about 10 T's tonight too. The refs are going to dominate! Hand em the trophy!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back