2008 College Football Thread!
Oct 5, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #286 of 756
Here's what I take from yesterday...

PFFFTTTT!!!

Sorry, viro, I really thought we could cover 25 points. Bleh.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #288 of 756
that's not quite how i would rank the teams in the big ten skylab but it's all subjective i guess. i think penn state and ohio state are the class of the conference. i am still not completely sold on illinois or mich state though they are still in the mix. looks like wisconsin is going to be on the outside looking in. penn state plays ohio state on the 25th. that game will be huge.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #289 of 756
Well, Michigan State jumped up to #23 in the AP (#19 USA Today). Not sure what to think about that - it's nice to be ranked for sure, but the last time it happened (3 years ago) it didn't last long. This is a far different team to be sure, but the next 4 weeks are brutal - At Northwestern, OSU at home, At Michigan, Wisconsin at home.

My feeling is that if we want a good final record, we must win at Northwestern this week and Purdue at home (I wouldn't call Northwestern a given at all - it should be a good game). If we win those two, that's 7 wins, which means bowl game at least. Ideally, though, for the season to be considered a success I'd say we have to win one of the 3 inbetween.

At this point in the season, I legitamitely believe OSU and Wisconsin are better teams than MSU, but there's a certain magic about home games and for some reason MSU has traditionally played better against good teams we're not supposed to beat than we have against teams we're supposed to have guaranteed wins over. As for Michigan....this is a year in which we should be able to beat them, but as Wisconsin saw it's not quite that simple when the game's in AA. Personally, a win over them would count for three in my book; a 7-win season including a victory in the Big House would be enough to stop me from whining. We'll see what happens.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #290 of 756
Well, your Spartans and my Wildcats will indeed meet as 2 ranked teams, at least as far as the USA Today poll goes. Should be a good game.

Just as you said, NU needs at least 2 more wins to secure a bowl game. The best chances for us would seem to be Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue. To me they seem to be the B10's weakest teams, at least right now. That makes the MSU game not a "must win", but it would sure be nice
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't think it's a good match-up for us, though. We gave up a lot of yards to Iowa's Greene, and I am really worried about Ringer.

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #291 of 756
i agree that it looiks like northwestern has a great shot of being bowl bound. don't sleep on purdue though. i still think curtis painter can dismantle a defense. oregon barely beat purdue in overtime earlier this year. minnesota is 5-1 but those wins are quite decieving. they beat up on sup par competition. i would think you guys should handle them. ringer sure is a beast. just have to hope to keep him contained and make someone else beat you.

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #292 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, viro, I really thought we could cover 25 points. Bleh.

Would of without the last minute Poke TD. Personally, I think coaches pay more mind to the spread than they let on. Look at Alabama. They fail to cover against a solid Kentucky team, then promptly lose 8 #1 votes in the Ap. Why wouldn't a coach consider the line? It's the smart thing to do.. As for the 'bama, one would think their sold resume would deserve a pass or two. We're almost half way through the season. Polls should be less reactionary by now. Won't happen anymore. The media machine unjustly demands consistent dominance from top ranked teams, which is impossible with a twelve, sometimes thirteen game schedule, unless you're 95 Nebraska.

My Aggies host a weird KSU (-6) team this weekend. Where's the smart money Brimstone?

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #293 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree that it looiks like northwestern has a great shot of being bowl bound. don't sleep on purdue though. i still think curtis painter can dismantle a defense. oregon barely beat purdue in overtime earlier this year. minnesota is 5-1 but those wins are quite decieving. they beat up on sup par competition. i would think you guys should handle them. ringer sure is a beast. just have to hope to keep him contained and make someone else beat you.

The Iowa game showed that when push comes to shove, Hoyer is actually capable of throwing passes. So long as our receivers remember how to catch them, the MSU offense is becoming shockingly balanced. Hoyer will never be as good at QB as Ringer is at what he does, but I think he's good enough to keep things in the air and moving. Either way, I still expect it to be a great game. If it wasn't a good friend's 21st birthday that evening, I'd probably be going to it.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #294 of 756
yeah hoyer is a capable quarterback but i would still stack the line and do whatever i could to get ringer off his game. tricky thing to do though because ringer seems to get stronger as the game progresses. defenses wear down in the second half against him. wasn't trying to disrespect your passing attack. i just think you really have to game plan for ringer first and foremost.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #295 of 756
Anytime you have a RB as good as Ringer, you have to stop him first. I agree that MSU has a nicely balanced attack, but if you don't try to stop Ringer, you're doomed. It's a lot easier for a QB to have an off-day, and you have to hope to force that.

For MSU the opposite will be true. Tyrell Sutton is a very good running back, but CJ Bacher (NU's QB) is the bigger potential threat - when he is good, he is VERY good - threw for a school record 3600+ yards last year, but had 19 interceptions. If MSU can make him choke, then they will win. If Bacher plays really well, NU has a very solid chance.

For the record, I generally am an MSU fan - just not when they are playing NU
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #296 of 756
i'm really getting excited about the upcoming red river shootout. i think it is going to be a great game. looks like a great saturday for college football. texas/oklahoma, florida/lsu, ok state/mizzou, penn state wisconsin. those are just some of great games that will be had. talk about quality.

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #297 of 756
You bet! I'm stoked.

--

I won't be in Dallas this year but have been to eleven RRR's in my lifetime. It is truly a bucket list event for College football fans - the fair, the split stadium, and let's not forget the stakes. OU/Texas (ahem OU first 'round these parts) is a border war, a recrutiing war, and since 1996, a conference division war between two blue bloods of college football. And because of all this, both fanbases truly and passionately despise each other. It's always nice to see my favorite rivalry - over a hundred years old now - receive the Bristol hype.

--

I'm going with the both Tigers Saturday. As has been mentioned, I really like both LSU's lines. Lesticles will pull out the three yard push playbook, and control the clock and LOS. Okie State is a solid football team. However, Mizzou is just another level, and I think still hungry for respect. The Cowboys rank near the bottom in sacks against a sisters of the poor scheule. Ouch. Booger Daniel is going camp in the pocket and pick the Pokes apart; MU BIG.

Wiscy will beat PSU. I would take the Nittany Lions on a neutral field but not in Madison where the Badgers have lost two straight and are desperate. Desperation = feisty hog eaters. The flying W's pull an LSU bang on the aged one for a classic, ugly Wisky win.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #298 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Aggies host a weird KSU (-6) team this weekend. Where's the smart money Brimstone?

Well, it's not in stocks, that's for sure!

The Aggies' offensive line appears to be improving. I think we can run on K-State, which means we win a relatively low scoring game assuming we avoid turnovers.

I'll go TAMU 21, KSU 17. I would probably bet KSU on the spread.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #299 of 756
viro, at first glance your pick of wisconsin over penn state may seem insane but the more i think about it the more i like it. this game is not in happy valley. madison is not a nice place for anyone to play. i think this may be a trap game for the nittany lions. i am not sure they are giving the badgers their full attention or the respect they deserve. big mistake when rolling into camp randall. my buckeyes barely escaped with a win last week. i will be the first to admit we really should have lost that game. we broke their 18 game home winning streak and i bet they can't wait to take their frustration out on penn state.

i also agree that missouri will pick oklahoma state apart. i think the tigers have yet to go 3 and out yet. they have picked up a first down on every single drive this season. insane stat.

i also think that vandy might be on upset alert. i really want to see them win against mississipi state this week but i am really worried about the game. we will have to see what they can do against that extremely underrated bulldog defense.

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #300 of 756
Penn State's last 2 trips to Camp Randall did not go well for the Nittanies. I do think they should be worried. But based on what we have seen, I think PSU wins it in a close one. They are the more talented team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back