2008 College Football Thread!
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #256 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes...In case I missed the opportunity back then, congratulations on your 38 point comeback 2 years ago.

Hmmm...I'm reminded of another quote:

biggrin.gif

All I'm saying is that I'm pretty proud of Michigan for fighting back against Wisconsin - a Top-10 opponent who had them making typically unrecoverable mistakes and down by 19 at the half. I'm not BRAGGING about it, so much as I'm amazed that we're even talking about it. Oh, and I also felt the need to defend my Wolverines against the catcalls that it wasn't a Michigan win so much as a Wisconsin loss...the defense played tough for the whole game, in spite of an awful first half by the offense. They deserve a little credit for turning the ball over 5 times and still fighting back to win it.

It's been a difficult season for Michigan so far. To see them hang tough in a game that pretty much everyone (including me) thought was over, much less WIN, is encouraging. Maybe this is the point in the season where we look back at the end and say that this is where the offense started to hit its stride and things started to click. Maybe not...we'll see.

Yes, this is very true...though I suspect we may remember this one for a few years.

X5!!!
floatsmile.png
floatsmile.png
floatsmile.png
floatsmile.png

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #258 of 756
Here is what 10 years can mean in college football:

1997 Kickoff Classic - Soldier Field, IL

Northwestern 24, Oklahoma 7

Today, even our pretty good NU squad would lose to OU by 7 touchdowns.

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #259 of 756
I believe the Wildcats actually lead the series against the Sooners - 3-1 or 4-1 iirc. Those were salad days up North right? Was Barnett still there or already gone?

Can't say I remember much about that 1997 game. except it was the second year of the John Blake regime. The ol' Blakester was responsible for two of the worst Sooner seasons in a century, 96 & 97. I was in Norman at the time, and remember thinking, "just my luck, for my time on campus, OU football is historically bad." Anyway, those days taught OU fans much needed humility. We're a spoiled bunch.

I'm sure you're aware current OU OC Kevin Wilson and line coach James Patton are former NU assistants.

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #260 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the Wildcats actually lead the series against the Sooners - 3-1 or 4-1 iirc. Those were salad days up North right? Was Barnett still there or already gone?

Can't say I remember much about that 1997 game. except it was the second year of the John Blake regime. The ol' Blakester was responsible for two of the worst Sooner seasons in a century, 96 & 97. I was in Norman at the time, and remember thinking, "just my luck, for my time on campus, OU football is historically bad." Anyway, those days taught OU fans much needed humility. We're a spoiled bunch.

I'm sure you're aware current OU OC Kevin Wilson and line coach James Patton are former NU assistants.

Yep, and we were sorry to see Wilson leave - he was the one responsible for putting in the spread offense in 2000 that set all kind of records up here, and this was at a time when there were very, very few teams running the spread.

1997 was still Barnett, and while 95 and 86 were the years NU won the Big Ten, 97 was a bust, actually. D'Wayne Bates got hurt in that OU game and didn't play the rest of the year, and we did not have replacements for Steve Schnur at QB and Darnell Autry at RB. In fact things were rough until Barnett left and Randy Walker came in, and Wilson put in the spread that got us our 3rd B10 title in 2000.

Sep 30, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #261 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think John Blake is now an assistant at Nebraska.

OU has a tough road ahead, but this year has lots of promise. I was frustrated at the game with our running, but had no idea that TCU was ranked so highly in defense. I'm going back overseas soon, but really wish I could stay for a few more games at home. The Kansas game should be great.

Sep 30, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #262 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he was the one responsible for putting in the spread offense

Wow, now that goes to show what a flexible and good coach he is. Because, the first thing he did as Sooner Co-OC, was to narrow the wide o-line splits that Leach installed and Magino kept.

We're going to miss him too. He should get a shot to run his own program soon. Tell ya, James Patton is valuable as well. The guy is an old barn burner coach and sollid hog recruiter.

BTW, I read up on the NU game, and the Wildcats actually shut out the Sooners. 24-0

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think John Blake is now an assistant at Nebraska.

He was but landed at North Carolina when Butch Davis took over, which is fine with me. The guy was buildng a NU pipline into Okie; hell of a recruiter, no matter what you think of his coaching, which was notorius in Norman - switching O philosophy every pre-season, and sometimes game to game.

I wouldn't fret too much about the lack of running game. The Horned Frogs sold their soul to stopping it. That's why big Sam tossed a yard shy of two bones in the first quarter. Now, if OU can't run on Baylor Saturday, I'll fret enough for both of us.
bigsmile_face.gif

--

Brimstone? No epic take this week?
frown.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #264 of 756
Things are getting ugly for Ty Willingham. Locker hurt, and now their top recruit decommits, and pours salt on the wound.
Quote:

Huskies Football
footballHuskiesUWSeattle
« Monday coachspeak with Willingham | Main

RealDawg.com: Coleman de-commits
And from the "When it rains, it pours" department, Garfield High defensive tackle Deandre Coleman has renegged on his oral commitment to play for the Huskies, RealDawg.com is reporting.

Coleman is the state's top recruit and No. 8 tackle nationally. He told the site, "I still like Washington. My family and I just decided that I should look at other schools to make sure this was the right choice."

"I haven't had a winning season in my four years in high school. I want to win at the next level and have a successful career," Coleman told the site. He may take official visits to Oregon, LSU, California and Arizona.

Coleman committed in August.

Just seems really unnecessary to say something like that.

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #265 of 756
thanks for the link. it is a good read. my only concern with it is that most of the teams didn't really play big time competition. the big ten conference schedule is just now getting in full swing. that's where we will start to figure out if the conferences are deep.

Sep 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #266 of 756
Indeed, it is a good read. And while I agree with YH, that the non-conference schedule wasn't super-aggressive, it may look better as the season wears on.

But as always, the conferences get to prove their points in the bowls.

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #267 of 756
did anyone else catch the middle tennessee/florida atlantic game on espn2? crazy finish. i just watched the second showing of it. 32 yard hail mary touchdown as time expired followed by a winning extra point.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #268 of 756
Really? Sheesh. I watched some of the second half, but when I turned it off to go to bed it was still 10-0, and MTSU didn't look like it could move the ball to save it's life.

Funny story: I grew up 40 miles from MTSU, and when I was in high school, it was DII, and even kids from my high school could play college ball there. Not anymore now that they are FBS!

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #269 of 756
yeah maybe it was the blackout jerseys that fueled the comeback for mtsu. i almost turned it off in the 4th quarter but i was converting cds to apple lossless at the time. glad i didn't.

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #270 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by S.A. Nole
Things are getting ugly for Ty Willingham. Locker hurt, and now their top recruit decommits, and pours salt on the wound.

Yep, bailing recruits are not a good sign. It's usually near the end then. Tennessee had a high profile Cali QB decommit a couple weeks ago as well. Last year, Fulmer signed one his worst classes. Behind closed doors, dry recruiting will get ya gone quick.

FSU is @ Miami (-3). Dog or chalk S.A. Nole?

Brimstone, are you still alive buddy? Is there a reason to believe your beloved Aggies (+21.5) might cover Saturday night?

Also, what is the deal with Badgers vs. Buckeyes? The sweater vest is layin' 3 points. *this concludes the weekly gamblin' segment
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back