2008 College Football Thread!
Sep 28, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #241 of 756
rough week for favored ranked teams. i knew bama would have a little something special for the dawgs. too bad i had to work and missed the game. at least i got to watch florida go down. i bet sooner fans are quite pleased right now.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #243 of 756
Quote:

I'm not completely sold on Bama as a top ten team yet.

I am now and just voted them no. 1 in my fan poll.

Here's a quiz. What do Bob Stoops in 2000, Jim Tressel in 2002, and Urban Meyer in 2006 have in common? All three won consensus MNC's in their second year with their respective school, during this decade. Could Saban be the fourth? There is something special about talented teams that have known losing. They're just a little bit hungrier. I blew that fact big time when predicting the UA/UGA game, plus the young Georgian line. Hindsight is 20/20. Bama is squarely the best team in CF right now, as alluded to above. Things change though. Let's see if they can handle the spotlight, which is truly the most monumental task of all. Soooo....

Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bet sooner fans are quite pleased right now.

If you're speaking of a possible #1 ranking, then hell no jack. That's a heavy crown. Hopefully the Bama roll will continue, and they can take it over. There is one positive. With a no. 1 ranking in the AP, OU will become the all time leader in weeks @ 1 in that poll (and still the best), passing Notre Dame; a nice little feather. However, there's only one week where 1 matters. The rest is conjecture. Plus, the Sooners will lose one or two games this season becasue the XII South is so tough. Book that daddy-o.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
Seriously, Wisconsin, what the heck WAS that? The entire freaking state should be ashamed of what happened there.

Heh, rivalries make strange bedfellows. Yes sir, what a joke of a loss by Wiscy. The whole state might be ashamed, but I bet they're cursing Michigan more. The Wolverines have caused them a-lot of pain through the years.

--

It was a friggin' great week of CF. The carnage has begun!

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #244 of 756
Yes, indeed congrats to the Sooners. Since that was a 6:00 kick I watched that game for 45 minutes while waiting for Bama-UGA to start, and it was over in less than 20 minutes.

OU -Texas is shaping up to be quite a matchup.

One interesting result for me that will get very little notice was Duke destroying Virginia to snap a 25-game ACC losing streak and move to 3-1. Why this is interesting:

1. It shows that USC throttling UVA is perhaps not that big a deal.

2. Duke's only loss so far this year: Northwestern. That was a close game, which worried me. Perhaps Duke was a much better opponent than I had thought.

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #245 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
The UM game made me sick to my stomach. Seriously, Wisconsin, what the heck WAS that? The entire freaking state should be ashamed of what happened there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, rivalries make strange bedfellows. Yes sir, what a joke of a loss by Wiscy. The whole state might be ashamed, but I bet they're cursing Michigan more. The Wolverines have caused them a-lot of pain through the years.

Well, let's give a LITTLE credit where it's due - Michigan's defense played VERY well for most of the game. In fact, most of Wisconsin's 19 first half points came off of FIVE Michigan turnovers - almost all of them deep in Michigan territory. The score could have easily been 35-0 at the half if Wisconsin was able to solve Michigan's D at all. Once the offense got it together a bit, they came back.

I know a lot of folks think that Michigan has played very poorly...and they have on offense. The defense hasn't been too bad, and has mostly suffered for the offense's mistakes. But people tend to remember the offense.

I'm not sure what we've got yet, but I suspect that we may have seen a peek at it in the second half. Rich Rodreguez didn't become a bad coach all of a sudden, and this is still the same Michigan team that regularly recruits top-10 talent. It's not like Rich Rod walked into the same situation that Mark D'Antonio did at Michigan State. I mean, this IS Michigan after all.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Finally, I think that there's something to these second half comebacks. Seems like Rich Rod and his staff do a pretty decent job of making adjustments at the half. I also think the new strength and conditioning focus is lending itself to better play as the game goes on. As the youngsters improve and become more accustomed to the new offense, the mistakes will decrease. I just don't know how soon that will happen.

At any rate, I'm not too sure what we have here yet. I'll know more about whether my hope is justified after the Illinois game next weekend, and a lot more in 4 weeks (Illinois, Toledo, Penn State, Michigan State).

Still, all the talk about how Wisconsin blew the game in the second half would be a lot more meaningful if they had really taken it to Michigan in the first half. Truth is, Michigan certainly blew the first half - and just about badly enough to blow the whole game - before making the biggest comeback ever in Michigan Stadium...and against the #9 team in the country! They deserve a little credit for a job well done, I'm thinking.

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #246 of 756
Quote:

I am now and just voted them no. 1 in my fan poll.

Here's a quiz. What do Bob Stoops in 2000, Jim Tressel in 2002, and Urban Meyer in 2006 have in common? All three won consensus MNC's in their second year with their respective school, during this decade. Could Saban be the fourth? There is something special about talented teams that have known losing. They're just a little bit hungrier. I blew that fact big time when predicting the UA/UGA game, plus the young Georgian line. Hindsight is 20/20. Bama is squarely the best team in CF right now, as alluded to above. Things change though. Let's see if they can handle the spotlight, which is truly the most monumental task of all. Soooo....

If you're speaking of a possible #1 ranking, then hell no jack. That's a heavy crown. Hopefully the Bama roll will continue, and they can take it over. There is one positive. With a no. 1 ranking in the AP, OU will become the all time leader in weeks @ 1 in that poll (and still the best), passing Notre Dame; a nice little feather. However, there's only one week where 1 matters. The rest is conjecture. Plus, the Sooners will lose one or two games this season becasue the XII South is so tough. Book that daddy-o.

--

--

It was a friggin' great week of CF. The carnage has begun!

'Bama does look very impressive, but it is too early to make any judgements. I agree that heavy is the crown , but it is still nice to enjoy the moment. I think our team will remain focused and keep their eyes sqaurely focused on the prize this year. We just need to improve our kicking game and coverage. Too bad I am going back overseas. I envy you all being here when things are getting interesting. It will really get good in two weeks with Kansas. Keep the faith!

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #247 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One interesting result for me that will get very little notice was Duke destroying Virginia to snap a 25-game ACC losing streak and move to 3-1. Why this is interesting:/~/1. It shows that USC throttling UVA is perhaps not that big a deal

Good point, and I noticed that. The season is third or more over for most teams. The picture is a little clearer. Personally, I would still pick USC to beat anyone in the country, except Bama, in a one game, neutral field situation.

The new coaches' poll is out, and look at Brigham Young at #7. A national title shot is quite possible for BYU, especially with the credit the Mountain West has received. Party like it's 1984 Mormon nation!

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #248 of 756
Quote:

Good point, and I noticed that. The season is third or more over for most teams. The picture is a little clearer. Personally, I would still pick USC to beat anyone in the country, except Bama, in a one game, neutral field situation.

The new coaches' poll is out, and look at Brigham Young at #7. A national title shot is quite possible for BYU, especially with the credit the Mountain West has received. Party like it's 1984 Mormon nation!

go byu! it's always nice to see a non-bcs school crash the party, IMO. of course, that stupid call at the end of the washington game was a good turn of fortune, and EVERY team that does well this season will have to have some good luck along the way.

i know it's been discussed ad nauseum, but i have to rant here...since that celebration call against washington at the end of their game vs. byu, i've not seen a similar call for a similar reaction since. i see guys get into the end zone and whip the ball towards the back of the end zone or fling it to the base of the stands, or whatever. (see the TD that brought wisconsin to 25-27 yesterday). the pac 10 officials said their hands were tied and they HAD to call the penalty when locker tossed the ball in the air. bs. everything's a judgment call and to claim otherwise is baloney.

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #251 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Truth is, Michigan certainly blew the first half - and just about badly enough to blow the whole game - before making the biggest comeback ever in Michigan Stadium...and against the #9 team in the country! They deserve a little credit for a job well done, I'm thinking.

Biggest comeback records aren't something people are usually found bragging about, as to come back from that much you have to be down by that much. You won't find many Michigan State fans talking about Northwestern 2 years ago when we set the national record for biggest comeback ever (38 point rally).

Sep 29, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #253 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Biggest comeback records aren't something people are usually found bragging about, as to come back from that much you have to be down by that much. You won't find many Michigan State fans talking about Northwestern 2 years ago when we set the national record for biggest comeback ever (38 point rally).

Yes...In case I missed the opportunity back then, congratulations on your 38 point comeback 2 years ago.

Hmmm...I'm reminded of another quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Scott
Somebody's been drinking their HATER-ADE!!

biggrin.gif

All I'm saying is that I'm pretty proud of Michigan for fighting back against Wisconsin - a Top-10 opponent who had them making typically unrecoverable mistakes and down by 19 at the half. I'm not BRAGGING about it, so much as I'm amazed that we're even talking about it. Oh, and I also felt the need to defend my Wolverines against the catcalls that it wasn't a Michigan win so much as a Wisconsin loss...the defense played tough for the whole game, in spite of an awful first half by the offense. They deserve a little credit for turning the ball over 5 times and still fighting back to win it.

It's been a difficult season for Michigan so far. To see them hang tough in a game that pretty much everyone (including me) thought was over, much less WIN, is encouraging. Maybe this is the point in the season where we look back at the end and say that this is where the offense started to hit its stride and things started to click. Maybe not...we'll see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla
comeback or not a win is a win. let's not lose sight of that. the score is rarely remembered on games. people just remember who won.

Yes, this is very true...though I suspect we may remember this one for a few years.

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #254 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is certainly a game you won't fine ME talking about
angry_face.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #255 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say, I'm not buying LSU as a top 5 at all.

Who is?!

Personally, I like them there. Off the bus, they're No.1 as far I 'm concerned. Dayum, there some beautiful athletes in Baton Rouge. I doubt they stay top five though. The schedule is brutal, and surely Lesticals is low on magic buttons to push? Or maybe not, he is perhaps the best playcaller in CF right now.

Here is my top five yesterday: 1: Bama 2: LSU 3: OU 4. Texas 5. Missouri

I based it almost entirely on schedule and losses, plus rewarded schools with big road wins like the Tide and Tigers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back