2007 NBA Playoffs Thread
Apr 30, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #76 of 378
Let's see if Dirk is a true MVP-to-be of the league. If the Marv can pull off the win, he deserves the MVP title.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #77 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's see if Dirk is a true MVP-to-be of the league.

For me, he never was the true MVP. It will be interesting to see if he can step up, hell if the whole Dallas squad can step up. With Miami out, it's almost fitting they get booted early.

No-one has mentioned Steve Nash's 23 assists yesterday?

You want to know what an MVP looks like. He looks like Steve Nash in the first quarter against the Lakers. There was a I'm going to carry my team and we're going to win this game look on his face. I never see that on Dirk.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #78 of 378
This is why I love NBA playoffs... its about who can execute in crunch time. I love watching Dirk play, but it annoys me to no end when he settles for fade-aways and 3's. We all know he can take it inside and punish the smaller players which GS is littered with. We've seen him go toe to toe with Duncan, Garnett in the paint. Theres no excuse for him not to try and exploit the warriors. Heck they collectively out-rebounded GS by 15, so theres basically not much interior presence from the warriors.

Lets see how he responds....

I have never seen a team win a playoff series with no interior presence. I have never seen a team win a series relying purely on 3's and outside shooting as a primary source of offense.

box scores.... GS got hammered on the boards, but shot the lights out when it counted.

http://www.nba.com/games/20070429/DALGSW/boxscore.html

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #79 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... now if the Suns can get past the Spurs in the second round we could have GS vs. Phx. That would be interesting.

No one has even mentioned the Jazz/Rockets series. I haven't even seen mention of it on the postgame shows (although I don't watch much postgame stuff).

Not gonna happen. As long as the spurs can close it out against denver, they know how to play phoenix.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #80 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love watching Dirk play, but it annoys me to no end when he settles for fade-aways and 3's. We all know he can take it inside and punish the smaller players which GS is littered with. We've seen him go toe to toe with Duncan, Garnett in the paint. Theres no excuse for him not to try and exploit the warriors. Heck they collectively out-rebounded GS by 15, so theres basically not much interior presence from the warriors.

I have never seen a team win a playoff series with no interior presence. I have never seen a team win a series relying purely on 3's and outside shooting as a primary source of offense.

no kramer, dirk tried to post up stephen jackson but the warriors quickly double teamed him. basically, everytime he touches down on the block, he is double teamed. there's no way he can beat a double team. he get his way with kg and duncan because he is always single covered. he's quicker than all the 4s or 5s, so they have to respect his drives, then he shoots over the top of them. but the warriors are guarding dirk with 3s or 2s, and they are hugging him on D and denying him the ball. the warriors D basically forces him to live outside on the perimeter. it's not so much dirk doesnt take it strong to the rim, the warriors' D has been dictating how he plays.

all the credits goto don nelson because dirk basically learns the game from nelson. nelly knows what dirk strengths and weaknesses are better than any coaches in the league. he's been able to neutralize what dirk does best.

and on the pt of not having interior presence, it's true that warriors dont have a post-up scorer, but they've been able to compensate that with their drives to the basket, especially BD. they are just as good as posting up. they outscored dallas in the paint.

btw, i still think dirk is a tremendous player. if he were on the warriors team, we would be a contender, no question.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #81 of 378
Regarding the Spurs...

Yep. They know how to slow the game to a snails pace, wildly drive to the basket and flail arms to draw cheap fouls, grab and flop on D, and feed the ball to the biggest whiner of them all, Duncan. It amazes me how anyone, regardless of where they live, could support such a dull team. Yes, that **** wins games and championships (sadly), but it sure is crappy.

Back to the real basketball, Nash sure was amazing yesterday! Much of my hatred for the Mavs stems from Cuban slapping Nash in the face by not paying him before he left. Nash was the most important player in turning around that franchise, and Cuban basically forced him out. The "MVP" Dirk was never the man to take over games in the playoffs, it was (and is) Nash. When his teammates are clicking, he feeds them. When they are off, he can drop 40. What a player.

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #82 of 378
Quote:

no kramer, dirk tried to post up stephen jackson but the warriors quickly double teamed him. basically, everytime he touches down on the block, he is double teamed. there's no way he can beat a double team. he get his way with kg and duncan because he is always single covered. he's quicker than all the 4s or 5s, so they have to respect his drives, then he shoots over the top of them. but the warriors are guarding dirk with 3s or 2s, and they are hugging him on D and denying him the ball. the warriors D basically forces him to live outside on the perimeter. it's not so much dirk doesnt take it strong to the rim, the warriors' D has been dictating how he plays.

all the credits goto don nelson because dirk basically learns the game from nelson. nelly knows what dirk strengths and weaknesses are better than any coaches in the league. he's been able to neutralize what dirk does best.

and on the pt of not having interior presence, it's true that warriors dont have a post-up scorer, but they've been able to compensate that with their drives to the basket, especially BD. they are just as good as posting up. they outscored dallas in the paint.

btw, i still think dirk is a tremendous player. if he were on the warriors team, we would be a contender, no question.

True, but for one Dirk needs to be a much better passer. I wish he used his size for his advantage.

May 1, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #83 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdjenders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the Spurs...

Yep. They know how to slow the game to a snails pace, wildly drive to the basket and flail arms to draw cheap fouls, grab and flop on D, and feed the ball to the biggest whiner of them all, Duncan. It amazes me how anyone, regardless of where they live, could support such a dull team. Yes, that **** wins games and championships (sadly), but it sure is crappy.

Back to the real basketball, Nash sure was amazing yesterday! Much of my hatred for the Mavs stems from Cuban slapping Nash in the face by not paying him before he left. Nash was the most important player in turning around that franchise, and Cuban basically forced him out. The "MVP" Dirk was never the man to take over games in the playoffs, it was (and is) Nash. When his teammates are clicking, he feeds them. When they are off, he can drop 40. What a player.

Haha listen to this guy...
rolleyes.gif
I really dont understand this mentality against the Spurs. The Spurs have something called GOOD DEFENSE. Something you cant say for teams like Phoenix who just want to outscore you. Sorry, but that kind of game doesnt win championships. Sorry if the spurs arent exciting enough for you. And the fact is, Ducan is not the only player to score big shots. Just look at tonights game against Denver. Horry made a huge 3 ball at the end of the game that was the dagger in Denver's side. Not to mention 18 points from Ginobili. Duncan actually had a really slow first half considering he was getting raped underneath the basket and not getting any of the calls...

Anyway... go Spurs! Up 3-1 against Denver and coming back home!

May 1, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #84 of 378
Kinda confused. Are comparing the Spurs to the Warriors?

May 1, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #85 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha listen to this guy...
rolleyes.gif
I really dont understand this mentality against the Spurs. The Spurs have something called GOOD DEFENSE. Something you cant say for teams like Phoenix who just want to outscore you. Sorry, but that kind of game doesnt win championships. Sorry if the spurs arent exciting enough for you. And the fact is, Ducan is not the only player to score big shots. Just look at tonights game against GS. Horry made a huge 3 ball at the end of the game that was the dagger in GS's side. Not to mention 18 points from Ginobili. Duncan actually had a really slow first half considering he was getting raped underneath the basket and not getting any of the calls...

Anyway... go Spurs! Up 3-1 against Golden State and coming back home!

The Spurs are playing the Denver Nuggets.

May 1, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #86 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Spurs are playing the Denver Nuggets.

Whoaaa my bad. Post fixed.

May 1, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #88 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoaaa my bad. Post fixed.

No worries. It's understandable. I'm not used to seeing teams like Golden State and Denver in the playoffs either. It's easy to get them mixed up. Now you'd never make a mistake like that about the Lakers.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #89 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries. It's understandable. I'm not used to seeing teams like Golden State and Denver in the playoffs either. It's easy to get them mixed up. Now you'd never make a mistake like that about the Lakers.
biggrin.gif

haha Exactly

May 1, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #90 of 378
Very exciting game between the Spurs and Nuggets. It really did come down to Big Shot Rob and Spurs defensive skills in the forth quarter. I still can't figure out why Camby won the Defensive Player of the Year award. As good as he is defensively, he did not make his presence felt when it matters most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back