2007 Micro Amps and Micro DACs
Jun 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 163

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
This post is a place holder for information on our new Micro Line. Jamey or I will be filling this post shortly with some preliminary info on these products.

Please feel free to post questions or comments as soon as you'd like and we'll be sure to include it here as we edit this post.

Briefly, the current Micro Amp and Micro DAC will be replaced. These products will become unavailable shortly before and/or after the new Micros appear. There are five products in the line: Micro Amp, Ultra Micro Amp, Micro DAC, Ultra Micro DAC, and the Micro Portable.

The new Micro Amp will have essentially the same elecronic circuitry as the "Home" module; the Ultra MA will have Max circuitry. The amps are a single surface mount board with no "modules" and cannot be upgraded from regular to Ultra.

The new Micro DACs are similarly Home and Max DACs.

The new Micro Portable is based on the 8397 chip and is forced into partial class-A bias by constant current sources. So it sounds somewhat better than 8397 designs we seen to date .... in our humble opinon.
tongue.gif

The Micro Portable will be available as an amp only or with an optional DAC card! Yes, we've managed to squeeze on in there. The DAC is basically the same as our current Micro DAC--which is pretty darn good. We think this amp performs on par with out current Desktop module.

Product availability is currently in the Sept/Oct timeframe. But we're in the "dead zone" at the moment where we're more at the mercy of others delivery schedule than in our own abilities.

I think (and Jamey will correct me on many of these details, no doubt) that the standard Micros will ship with our standard wall wart, and the Ultras will ship with the Astrodyne switching supply. All the AC powered Micros will accept our normal 5-pin DIN plug so you may use the Desktop Power Supply or our older More Power supply if oyu have one.

The Micro Portable has a completly different wall wart to accomodate it's rechargeable battery.

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may have missed it, is there any possible upgrade path for those of us with
existing Microdacs?

No, I'm sorry. DACs are prety complex beasts and not very easy to make upgradeable. Also remember that the new DACs will not be able to be used portable, so if any of you out there have iRiver iHP1x0 series players and want a portable DAC to go with you portable amp, you better get one soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge
Will these be in the same price range?

The Micro Amp and Micro DAC will be $399 ea, the Ultra Micro Amp and Dac will be $699 ea. The Micro Portable will be $399 with the DAC a $199 option.

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 163
what is the expected play time of the Lithium Ion Battery in the new Micro Portable Amp? and then with the internal DAC in use? or is the DAC always drawing power regardless if a digital device is connected?

when the Brick is plugged in and charging the Lithium Ion Battery does it run off the Battery Supply or the Brick when in use? or is there a Switch to toggle between the two?

it has the one Mini Analog Input on the front? and then the USB, Optical and Coaxial on the back? any other Line Input or Output?

which has better SQ? the new Micro Portable Amp or the old MicroAmp w/ Desktop Module? and Micro Module? the new internal Micro Portable DAC or the old 9 Volt MicroDAC?

what can we expect with the trade in program?

thank you!
Nose

edit:
will the Lithium Ion Battery produce better SQ over the 9 volt? or is it equivalent?

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 163
Tyll not being very knowledgeable what would be the differences between the ultra micro amp and ultra micro dac with a desktop w/ the same modules and a PSU? Besides cost($1,400 vs $1,800) and size, although I would argue that the desktop is two units versus 4 for the ultra micro. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 163
Great questions, Nose, I'll hunt up some reference material and get the OP edited with a bunch of details soon. As I do, I'll get to your post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll not being very knowledgeable what would be the differences between the ultra micro amp and ultra micro dac with a desktop w/ the same modules and a PSU? Besides cost($1,400 vs $1,800) and size, although I would argue that the desktop is two units versus 4 for the ultra micro. Thanks.

It's a good question. I wondered it myself at first. The easy answer is that some people really don't want all the extra cost and size for the input switching and connectors; they just want a very good sounding amp in a small footprint box. But it's not a very satisfying answer. They just seem so small to be so expensive. But then you look at the cost of 627s, film caps, and metal fim resistors, and all you can do is sigh. I can tell you our margins are essentially identical on the Desktops, Micro Amps, and Micro DACs.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great questions, Nose, I'll hunt up some reference material and get the OP edited with a bunch of details soon. As I do, I'll get to your post.

It's a good question. I wondered it myself at first. The easy answer is that some people really don't want all the extra cost and size for the input switching and connectors; they just want a very good sounding amp in a small footprint box. But it's not a very satisfying answer. They just seem so small to be so expensive. But then you look at the cost of 627s, film caps, and metal fim resistors, and all you can do is sigh. I can tell you our margins are essentially identical on the Desktops, Micro Amps, and Micro DACs.

biggrin.gif
Actually I was going the other way, I am trying to convince my self to get a desktop with max amp and max dac w/ the step vol pot.
cool.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 163
It seems some of the portables are moving towards Li-ion batteries that will power for 30hrs or so. Is this something that HR is trying to implement with the new portable line?

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 163
Concerning the micro portable, will the LyPo battery be user replaceable or will the micro have to be shipped back for battery replacement? If it is going to be user replaceable, will the battery be a custom design for the amp or an off-the-shelf item? And, as another poster has already asked, I'd be interested to no about playing times with and without the dac module and if the dac can be switched off to save power when it is not being used.
I'm sure I'm just dreaming here, but it would sure be cool if the dac and amp could be switched on and off independently so that the dac could be used stand-alone, together with the amp or turned off when only the amp is needed. That would make it a real swiss knife of portable gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back