2007+ Desktop Portable - Anyone care to report?
Dec 6, 2008 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

aamefford

I have a custom title!
Hello,

I am looking strongly at the ultra micro stack, desktop "home" and the portable desktop. The portable desktop has the most appealing form factor, and the least information and opinions available outside HR. I have roughly $1000 to spend, and I want outstanding sound for my $1000.

I would love the portability of the PDT. I would give up a little, but not much sound quality to get that portability. I use Shure 530's quite a bit and I am a bit concerned about hiss. The 530's aren't my only phone, but I do like them! The rest of the time will be with HD580's, HD650's and whatever else I end up with - likely HD25-1's and/or Denons.

Can anyone out there offer any insight on the portable desktop? I am also soliciting opinions as to the best Headroom bang for my $1000? I know the ultra micro lists for more, but there seem to be used ones out there, and the recent sale price might come back around. Or not. I'm open to looking at the "regular" micro stack as well, and welcome all opinions.

Note that I have a similar post over in the full size amp section. I felt these two forums appeal to two different audiences, so I might get more responses with the double posting. Given the slim info on the portable desktop, I hope no one minds.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 15
You will not go wrong getting the Ultra Micro Amp and Dac. They are very nice sounding with an small form factor.

Recently there was a member selling both for about $800 and you should jump at it. Then w/ the $200 you have left you could buy a MiniBox-E+ as a portable amp. Unless you can talk Jorge into a package deal of the Ultra Micro Amp and Dac w/ a Bithead! Hint!!!

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 15
Another choice would be the portable micro (with DAC), bag, interconect and money left for headphones. (d2000, dt880, 325i) The hiss is there, but you can only hear it when the music is not playing. That would be an awsome mobile rig for around 1000, maybe a little less. Headroom is just the place to get a portable rig, the amp and bags are meant to be together, forever and ever, Amen.
Kevin

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another choice would be the portable micro (with DAC), bag, interconect and money left for headphones. (d2000, dt880, 325i) The hiss is there, but you can only hear it when the music is not playing. That would be an awsome mobile rig for around 1000, maybe a little less. Headroom is just the place to get a portable rig, the amp and bags are meant to be together, forever and ever, Amen.
Kevin

I can second this recommendation easily. For more on my thoughts on the Portable Micro Amp w/Dac see:

SoundStage! HeadRoom Portable Micro Headphone Amplifier with DAC (7/2008)

I've since added the Beyerdynamic DT 770s to my headphone collection and the PMA w/D continues to shine. Add in the bad and an ALO line-out cable and you'll actually look forward to being out and about.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 15
mrarroyo, looks like the $800 ultra stack is gone, bummer, I'd a grabbed it. I really want the ultra micro DAC. I'd be fine with the regular micro amp, and a used tomahawk.

John, Kevin, you two both seem to REALLY like the PMA with DAC. Enough to make a really convincing case to do this. My biggest issue is that I have to run on batteries at all times, and leaving it plugged in after charging is bad for battery life.

I've gotten one very favorable but brief opinion on the portable desktop amp. I'd love one or two more objective opinions to help me decide to either buy it or move on.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo, looks like the $800 ultra stack is gone, bummer, I'd a grabbed it. I really want the ultra micro DAC. I'd be fine with the regular micro amp, and a used tomahawk.

John, Kevin, you two both seem to REALLY like the PMA with DAC. Enough to make a really convincing case to do this. My biggest issue is that I have to run on batteries at all times, and leaving it plugged in after charging is bad for battery life.

I've gotten one very favorable but brief opinion on the portable desktop amp. I'd love one or two more objective opinions to help me decide to either buy it or move on.

Having run up the Headroom lineup from the Total Bithead to the Portable Micro Amp w/DAC to now listening to the complete Headrom Bi-Amped Desktop Audiophile System (with Harbeth speakers) - review forthcoming - I think I can safely say that the Portable Desktop will be even better than the Portable Micro. If you've got the scratch, I'd say go for it. You probably love it to death. But it's not cheap, so any accessories will cost you more, hence the referal of the Portable Micro. But you're the one who is going to be doing the listening, not any of us. Heck, call Headroom and talk to Tyll. I'm sure he'll give you a staight, honest answer as to which will work best for your situation. Plus, if you buy new from Headroom and find you;re not happy (for some ungodly reason), they offer a 30-day money back gurantee. So you have nothing to lose by trying.

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 15
I have owned the Cosmic Portable and sold it to buy the Desktop Portable. It's a good package, but I am not convinced about the DAC. I posted a thread in this forum the other day asking about using it optically from an AEX. I have also used this HR DTP with Sonos ZP 80s optically too. I may consider selling my headroom and just going back to a fully analog headphone amp. Looking at the Heed camamp right now.. if interested in my DTP, let me know. thxs.

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcginc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned the Cosmic Portable and sold it to buy the Desktop Portable. It's a good package, but I am not convinced about the DAC. I posted a thread in this forum the other day asking about using it optically from an AEX. I have also used this HR DTP with Sonos ZP 80s optically too. I may consider selling my headroom and just going back to a fully analog headphone amp. Looking at the Heed camamp right now.. if interested in my DTP, let me know. thxs.

dcginc - pm sent, thank you!

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 15
I have a 2006 Desktop Portable with DAC and I just replaced it with a 2007 Desktop with Max DAC/Max Module. I liked the older design DTP because it uses a real power supply on the desk and then a battery pack if you want to go portable. I only upgraded to the new desktop because it was an open box buy and the price was ridiculously low.

Shoot me an email at spamcatcher AT celadonstudios DOT com if you want to discuss buying my DTP. I'll let it go for around 1/2 of what your budget is.
smile.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowblind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the older design DTP because it uses a real power supply on the desk and then a battery pack if you want to go portable.

This is somewhat of an issue for me. HeadRoom recommends not listening to the amp while it's charging. It's not a really big deal, but the battery has run out on me a few times.

Sonically, I love my 2007 Desktop Portable. I've used every input except the digital coax. I don't have any other amps to compare it to, so my opinion may not be as objective as you'd like. I am surprised, though, to hear someone questioning the DAC - they must have an amazing analog source!

I didn't have any problem with hiss on my SE530's - back when I could find them
frown.gif
and my modded W5000's sound AMAZING through the amp. My friend's D2000's really benefitted from this amp. I haven't tried any Senn's at all, but I believe this amp would have enough power for your HD580/HD650's.

I also have HeadRoom's Desktop Portable Bag and Strap. I find the strap very useful on trips, but I'm not a big fan of the clear top on the bag.

My amp was worth the price for me. Maybe you can find a used one for sale if you're not sure. I would recommend it it you don't mind the charging issue.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerboy47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is somewhat of an issue for me. HeadRoom recommends not listening to the amp while it's charging. It's not a really big deal, but the battery has run out on me a few times.

Sonically, I love my 2007 Desktop Portable. I've used every input except the digital coax. I don't have any other amps to compare it to, so my opinion may not be as objective as you'd like. I am surprised, though, to hear someone questioning the DAC - they must have an amazing analog source!

I didn't have any problem with hiss on my SE530's - back when I could find them
frown.gif
and my modded W5000's sound AMAZING through the amp. My friend's D2000's really benefitted from this amp. I haven't tried any Senn's at all, but I believe this amp would have enough power for your HD580/HD650's.

I also have HeadRoom's Desktop Portable Bag and Strap. I find the strap very useful on trips, but I'm not a big fan of the clear top on the bag.

My amp was worth the price for me. Maybe you can find a used one for sale if you're not sure. I would recommend it it you don't mind the charging issue.

Is this for sure, i.e., that the Desktop Portable Amp/DAC runs only off battery and that it can't be easily made to (without opening and disconnecting stuff) work like say, a laptop? I mean, could you, i.e., use it as a desktop and then portable on the occasion that you need portable functionality?

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this for sure, i.e., that the Desktop Portable Amp/DAC runs only off battery and that it can't be easily made to (without opening and disconnecting stuff) work like say, a laptop? I mean, could you, i.e., use it as a desktop and then portable on the occasion that you need portable functionality?

If that's what you want you'll have to look for an old generation one which used the external battery pack or external PSU.

The current gen. is a battery-only design.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's what you want you'll have to look for an old generation one which used the external battery pack or external PSU.

The current gen. is a battery-only design.

Interesting. I'd think that if you're going to pay $1000 for a portable desktop amp, that you'd want it to function similar to a laptop. My wife's laptop battery needs changing and she merrily uses the laptop by just keeping it plugged in. I've just completely ruled it out as a possibility if the batteries have to be OK for it to work and that I can't trickle charge the batteries while keeping it plugged in, or use it when the batteries need changing. I'm an International customer and shipping to HeadRoom and back would be something I'd do only at high convenience, i.e., when I'm ready to part with it for a few weeks.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I'd think that if you're going to pay $1000 for a portable desktop amp, that you'd want it to function similar to a laptop. My wife's laptop battery needs changing and she merrily uses the laptop by just keeping it plugged in. I've just completely ruled it out as a possibility if the batteries have to be OK for it to work and that I can't trickle charge the batteries while keeping it plugged in, or use it when the batteries need changing. I'm an International customer and shipping to HeadRoom and back would be something I'd do only at high convenience, i.e., when I'm ready to part with it for a few weeks.

Hello,

To clarify a bit, the current 2nd edition of our 2007 HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp now employs a recharging circuit design that allows it to be left "plugged-in" to AC-power full-time if so desired by the user w/o worries.

The Portable Micro Amp, however, does not yet have this charging circuit make-over, so (thus far) this useful revision is exclusive to the pricier HeadRoom PDA unit only.

Lemme know if further questions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

To clarify a bit, the current 2nd edition of our 2007 HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp now employs a recharging circuit design that allows it to be left "plugged-in" to AC-power full-time if so desired by the user w/o worries.

The Portable Micro Amp, however, does not yet have this charging circuit make-over, so (thus far) this useful revision is exclusive to the pricier HeadRoom PDA unit only.

Lemme know if further questions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Ok. This makes a lot more sense. Thanks. Makes for an interesting purchase .... later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back