2006 NBA Playoffs Thread
May 1, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #31 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
The answer is simple, it comes down to Shaq or Kobe. But at least Kobe can make free throws.
biggrin.gif

It is quite evident that you have not watched basketball in a while.

Shaq isn't even close to being one of the top five players in the NBA, as of this moment. He is in his twilight years and has become the victim of injuries.

I think there are a collection of players that can be considered among the best in the NBA, with Lebron, Kobe, and Wade standing out the most among them. At 21, Lebron obviously has the most room for growth...Kobe wasn't doing anything of significance at that age.

Kobe obviously has an advantage from a publicity perspective in that he comes from the second largest market for basketball in the United States. There is no question that there is a bias in the media when they cover his games.

-Matt

May 1, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #32 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Well, the only reason why the series is tied up is because Brent Barry got the lucky bounce on that 3-ball in game 2. Otherwise Sacto would've been up 3-1.

well, kevin martin's layup in game 3 was pretty lucky, too...2-2 is probably about right...

May 1, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #33 of 158
I read on ESPN's game recap on the Lakers/Suns game, and what Mike D'Antoni said pretty much hit the spot,

"We made big shots, but they made bigger shots,"

Without Robert 'Big Shot' Horry, Lakers's only surviving clutch player from the three-peat era is Kobe Bryant.

I feel Kobe and the Lakers has indeed peak at the right end of the season! During preseason, they were talking about getting back into the play-off. Now they are coming out every night to compete. Although I feel their chance of making pass the second round is less optimistic, but I feel they deserve a big pat on the back for playing the game when it really counts.

As for the Kobe haters, watch the Lakers for once, will you?

May 1, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #34 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
It is quite evident that you have not watched basketball in a while.

Shaq isn't even close to being one of the top five players in the NBA, as of this moment. He is in his twilight years and has become the victim of injuries.

I think there are a collection of players that can be considered among the best in the NBA, with Lebron, Kobe, and Wade standing out the most among them. At 21, Lebron obviously has the most room for growth...Kobe wasn't doing anything of significance at that age.

And the comment about "Lebron has room for growth" well freak, every body has room for growth. My little sister who has never played basketball has room for growth in basketball. The entire NBA team rosters has room for growth, the point is everyone CAN grow; the main thing is how much growth can Lebron do? No one knows! As of this instance, this moment, Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA; forget about that growth BS. Just because Lebron has the potential to grow, doesn't mean you're the best player in the NBA. He might be, but right now, he's not, KOBE is.

-Matt

Kobe Bryant at the age of 21 was titled the future MJ in the NBA. What about Lebron or Wade? Has anybody bring their names next to MJ's? Hellz no, why? because they are not in the same league as MJ, but Kobe is.

Ooh and about the comment I haven't watched th NBA for a while, I freaking watch that stuff every day, that and baseball. Give me a break, if your life was on the line, you would pick wade to go against Kobe? Or Lebron to go against kobe? Man get real.

Ooh and what the heck does growth has to do anything with being the best player in the NBA right now? Lebron might grow to be the best, but you know what? He's not the best right now. He could be, but he's not right now! Right now, this instance, Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA. Period.

May 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #35 of 158
Quote:

Kobe Bryant at the age of 21 was titled the future MJ in the NBA. What about Lebron or Wade? Has anybody bring their names next to MJ's? Hellz no, why? because they are not in the same league as MJ, but Kobe is.

that's only because kobe acts like MJ...i swear that guy practiced all of michael's facial expressions, fist pumps, and speeches in the mirror before he entered the NBA.

but i digress...kobe is the best player in the NBA...and why? because when the game's on the line he's probably the number one guy you want to have the ball. i still hate the guy...but that's b/c i'm a kings fan.

May 1, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #36 of 158
Ive always thought Phil jackson is the best NBA Coah in league history. Second perhaps only to Red Auerbach. His defensive schemes always seem shut down even the MOST lethal offensive teams. His triangle offense.. simple looking, and not terribly flashy or fun to watch yet lethal when it is executed and the ball rotates to the open player.

I can't think of too many other NBA coaches who can make repeat champions out of guys like Bill Cartwright, Bill wennginton, Jud Buschler, BJ Armstrong, steve Kerr, John Paxson. The arguement could be made that they all had Michael, but you have to remember that Michael had nothing without Phil.

Time will tell... But I still feel this way, and will continue to root for any Jackson coached team. IMHO they really KNOW how to come out and play and execute beyond statistics and athletic flash. I could careless about kobe / Shaq... Just don't care. if Phil is manning that ship, I'm watching and rooting. IMHO He's one of the few NBA coaches who really understand the mental / psychological as well as physical X's and O's of the game.

May 1, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #37 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I can't think of too many other NBA coaches who can make repeat champions out of guys like Bill Cartwright, Bill wennginton, Jud Buschler, BJ Armstrong, steve Kerr, John Paxson. The arguement could be made that they all had Michael, but you have to remember that Michael had nothing without Phil.

No love for Scottie Pippen?
wink.gif

May 1, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #38 of 158
I'm a big fan of Phil Jackson as well. The guy just knows how to get the most from his role players. Just look at the championship teams he's coached and on every one you will find some role player that made a difference. John Paxson, Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, Robert Horry; all veteran players that did their jobs.

May 1, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #39 of 158
jackson's a good coach, but he's not as smart as everyone thinks...and all his "zen" stuff is bogus. the triangle offense is all tex winter's scheme...i think the best thing about jackson is that he has a knack for coaching the stars...not everyone knows how to do it, but phil does.

May 2, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #40 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Time will tell... But I still feel this way, and will continue to root for any Jackson coached team. IMHO they really KNOW how to come out and play and execute beyond statistics and athletic flash.

Yes, his system can be effective when run properly, but what puts his team over the top is the talent. The system works good through quarters 1-3, but when the game is on the line Jackson always has had the best weapons to close out games. They tend to go away from the triangle and put the game in Jordan or Bryant's capable hands.

Quote:

IMHO He's one of the few NBA coaches who really understand the mental / psychological as well as physical X's and O's of the game.

He is the best with getting his superstars mentally prepared for battle. But I disagree regarding Jackson's X's and O's coaching. He is definitely not in the elite category when it comes to this. Give me Popovich or Larry Brown any day. The Lakers are terrible at running inbounds plays, fastbreaks, specific plays from timeouts, and other fundamentals of the game.

May 2, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #41 of 158
All this yacking and nonbody's talking about the Pistons. Who gives's a **** about Kobe Bryant?

Basketball is a team sport. If you want to gush over individual accomplishments, start a golf, boxing or tennis thread.

May 2, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #42 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
All this yacking and nonbody's talking about the Pistons. Who gives's a **** about Kobe Bryant?

Basketball is a team sport. If you want to gush over individual accomplishments, start a golf, boxing or tennis thread.

Basketball (and any sports in this world) is about entertainment, and the Pistons does not entertain me. I like the dramatics, all those crazy dunks, crazy shots, crazy moves. In my opinion, the pistons doesn't have the dramatics; yes, i agree with you, they are a great team. But are they entertaining to watch like the Lakers? I don't think so.

I think that's why teams like the Cavs are getting good ratings, becaues you don't know what kinda moves Lebron will come up next, or what kind of dunk is he going to do if there's a break away.

The Pistons on the other hand, you know what they are goign to do on a break away, they are going to lay it up and get 2 fundemental points. That's not entertaining; yes it makes a great championship team, but who wants to watch layups?

May 2, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #43 of 158
What? The Pistons play a very entertaining brand of basketball. They have tremendous athletes, intimidating defense, and they have the best shotblocking frontline in the league.

I expect them to easily advance to the Finals. The West will be between Dallas and San Antonio, if the Spurs stop playing like girls in their first round series.

May 2, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #44 of 158
Quote:

Basketball (and any sports in this world) is about entertainment, and the Pistons does not entertain me. I like the dramatics, all those crazy dunks, crazy shots, crazy moves. In my opinion, the pistons doesn't have the dramatics; yes, i agree with you, they are a great team. But are they entertaining to watch like the Lakers? I don't think so.

I think that's why teams like the Cavs are getting good ratings, becaues you don't know what kinda moves Lebron will come up next, or what kind of dunk is he going to do if there's a break away.

The Pistons on the other hand, you know what they are goign to do on a break away, they are going to lay it up and get 2 fundemental points. That's not entertaining; yes it makes a great championship team, but who wants to watch layups?

First off, I hate to admit it but, I agree. To anyone not from Detroit, it's not entertaining. But isn't it fun to watch a good TEAM at all? Otherwise, why not just watch the Harlem Globetrotters or slam dunk contests??

May 2, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #45 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
First off, I hate to admit it but, I agree. To anyone not from Detroit, it's not entertaining. But isn't it fun to watch a good TEAM at all? Otherwise, why not just watch the Harlem Globetrotters or slam dunk contests??

In the NBA, they have slam dunk contest and it is one of the most popular events of the all star game. Do they have a defense contest? Nope.

Ooh about the Globetrotters comment, if they can play in the NBA doing all that (bs moves), i'm sure people will watch them. I know I will, (be honest) would you watch them?

Borat, how many games did you watch the Pistons play this season? Now, how many games did you watch the Lakers play? If they were so entertaining, why did you watch less pistons games? If you watch more Pistons games than Lakers game, then you're beyond me. I live and breathe basketball, but man, their games are boring. I rather watch the Cavs, Miami, Lakers, Clippers or Suns play than Pistons.

Let me put it to you this way Borat, if you OWN a sport bar and you only have 1 TV. The pistons are playing on ABC and the Lakers are playing on ESPN, what channel would you turn your TV to so your customers can watch? I'll tell you right now, if you turn to the pistons game, about 80% of your customers will find a new sport bar. Period, that's the power of entertainment, and that's what the Lakers have.

Please believe me when I say, I do not hate the Pistons. I think they are a great team, I think they are the best team in the NBA right now. They are projected to make it to the NBA Finals from day one of the season. But are they entertaining to watch? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back