2006 MLB Playoffs Thread
Oct 8, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #91 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I can't help but think that some of the Mets fans are looking for an excuse to demonize Kenny Rogers.

In all seriousness Met fans couldn't care less about Kenny Rogers except the way he beat the Yankees. The 99 blow up was not really his fault. He just happened to be the wrong guy at the wrong time. Until that point, he was great for the Mets. Benitez and Franco were the problems with that team. The Mets fans are only concerned about the NLCS right now. Believe me.

EDIT: That was the beginning of the end for Benitez and Franco. They were good during the regular season. Franco and Benitez certainly were responsible for that Gm 6 loss to the Braves.

One Mets forum that I frequent had the following for his thread starter regarding the Johnson/Rogers matchup! Hilarious...

"Today's Pitching Matchup:

a_johnson_ft.jpg

VERSUS

22619818_974aec708f.jpg
"

I'm surprised the announcers didn't compare their run-ins with the media along with their stats.

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #92 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
I believe a proper thinking adult could also keep a flame throwing war about pretzels from getting out of hand (instead of encourage it), but I've seen that happen here once or twice
wink.gif

Pretzels, could actually start their own war if they wanted to, they are that powerful. It is the mighty pretzel that is empowering the mets right now to sweep every team that confronst them, and after reading various interviews with the mets, they all have either acknowledged or not denied they use pretzel rituals to improve their athletic ability and social skils. It's science!

i hear ya buddy ; ).

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #93 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I can't help but think that some of the Mets fans are looking for an excuse to demonize Kenny Rogers.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, but another Mets fan over here who doesn't really care about Rogers' past.

In fact, I fet that watching his performance the other night was a rare treat -- truly a moment in baseball history.

Now, to be honest, if he got drunk and hurt in bar-brawl (or physically attacked by a reporter) between now and the WS, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #94 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Sorry, but another Mets fan over here who doesn't really care about Rogers' past.

In fact, I fet that watching his performance the other night was a rare treat -- truly a moment in baseball history.

Now, to be honest, if he got drunk and hurt in bar-brawl (or physically attacked by a reporter) between now and the WS, I wouldn't loe any sleep over it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

if i see him on the way to the game, i'm gonna try and take pictures and see what happens.

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #95 of 120
I will admit it was great to watch him pitch and see him celebrate with the fans and all, but that doesn't mean I have to like him.
tongue.gif

The Yankees are really going to have to get rid of all those marquee players they signed, as it's clearly not working for them. They should look at the teams that beat them, they all have good pitching staffs, and either a core of a 2-4 players who are great and the rest who complement them well, like the Marlins when they won with Cabrera, Pudge, and Dontrelle, or a bunch of non-superstars who are just a great team, like the Angels and White Sox. If they just started over with a core of Jeter, Cano, Damon, Abreu, and Matsui, and kept Posada, Wang, and Rivera, they could be great. Get rid of A-Rod, Sheffield, Giambi, and all the guys they have like that. The all star team they're trying to assemble isn't working.

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #97 of 120
I think it keeps going back to pitching, and the Yankees would of had that, IF and only IF things went as somewhat planned.

Kenny Rogers could be where Randy Johnson is, and vise versa. Meaning, Randy going 8 innings, allowing 5 hits and no runs, and Rogers being a hurt old man with nothing left. Same age nearly

Carl Pavano and Bonderman are from the same lines, with Bonderman being very hot and cold, but ending up being hotter then colder. And Pavano, most expected to do atleast what he did in Florida, **** the bed.

Your never going to lose a playoff series, with the lineup they had this year. IF your pitching shows up to pinch, which did not happen, except for game 1 more or less.

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #98 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
George Steinbrenner will stir few things up at the Yanks.

Who will GO?
Who will STAY?

A-Rod will go, if Anahiem or someone takes on 16 mill or so per year

Randy Johnson will be asked to retire, but he will say no lol

Bernie is gone, we know that most likely to retire

Sheffield will be gone if they dont need a bat in the OF, as they decide his fate

Other then that, you got a solid team. Of course the average type players liek Procter or Lidle, let them walk IF you can improve on them.

But they need two solid starters, like Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt, to go with Wong, And Mussina, then use Lidle as a scrub 5th

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #100 of 120
The reason why the Yankees can't and won't win anything for the next three years is that they have distanced themselves from the only proven model for winning playoff games: developing young and cheap talent (both pitching and hitting). Now that they have shackled themselves to expensive contracts with the over-thirty something crowd (which is grossly overrated and mediocre and getting worse; if you guys think this lineup can even be mentioned in the same breath as the Cleveland Indians 1000 run lineup of yore, you are sorely mistaken).

Without the native talent of Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter, Andy Pettite, and Mariano Rivera, this team would not have hauled in all that jewelry. Now that the core has gotten old and decrepit, they can no longer compete with the Verlander/Bonderman/Cabrera/Beckett laden squads in the playoffs.

Things are only going to get worse for Yankees fans everywhere.

-Matt

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #101 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Are New Yorkers the only people who think the baseball world revolves around them?

-Matt

With the way every other team views the Yankees it pretty much does...

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #102 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
George Steinbrenner will stir few things up at the Yanks.

Who will GO?
Who will STAY?

Already a report that Torre is gone, and Lou Penella is replacing him.
Pay-Rod has a no-trade, and has said he is staying.
Should be a interesting off-season.

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #103 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf
Carl Pavano and Bonderman are from the same lines, with Bonderman being very hot and cold, but ending up being hotter then colder. And Pavano, most expected to do atleast what he did in Florida, **** the bed.

Bonderman and Pavano are nothing alike. Pavano had 1 year in which he stayed healthy and pitched well thanks to that gigantic park in Florida. Before 2004 his previous career high in wins was 12 (and 8 before that). His strikeout rate has never been very good, and he's 30 so he's not going to improve much at this point. Good news is that his BB/9 has lowered the last 3 years, bad news is his K/9 has followed suit. I thought the Yankees made a mistake in signing him from day 1, the career stats don't lie.

Bonderman is 23 and improving. Also, due to his youth he'll be inconsistent as he improves his control and gains experience. He's had some elbow tendonitis in the past that has slowed him down and contributed to the rough areas of his seasons. He strikeout rate (.94) is closer to Johan Santana's (1.05) than it is to Carl Pavano's.(.63)

Really these 2 guys couldn't be any more different. One is a power pitcher, one is finesse. One is young and rising, the other has peaked and is now declining. One is underpaid and the other is overpaid. One just pitched his team into the ALCS, the other took $8 mil to contribute nothing.

Oh and an early rumor is in that Torre is out and Lou Piniella is going to be the next manager. Yay Piniella, I can't wait for his first meltdown!
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #104 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Pretzels, could actually start their own war if they wanted to, they are that powerful. It is the mighty pretzel that is empowering the mets right now to sweep every team that confronst them, and after reading various interviews with the mets, they all have either acknowledged or not denied they use pretzel rituals to improve their athletic ability and social skils. It's science!

i hear ya buddy ; ).

touché

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #105 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Are New Yorkers the only people who think the baseball world revolves around them?

-Matt

Did you really mean to generalize that to all New Yorkers? As a Mets fan, I don't think our team gets any more national attention than any other team having a good (or potentially great) season. We probably get less attention. As a matter of fact, the biggest story for the Mets this year (at the national level) was how they unseated the Braves from a 14-year run as division leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back