2006 Head-fi National Meet-April 22nd/23rd
Aug 22, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #31 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
For example: I'd like to donate to Head-Fi a badgemaking machine if Head-Fi can find a volunteer to make killer Heaf-Fi meet badges.

We need a bagel machine and a egg-processor for Ray
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #32 of 295
Quote:

For example: I'd like to donate to Head-Fi a badgemaking machine if Head-Fi can find a volunteer to make killer Heaf-Fi meet badges.

Just tell me what to do
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #33 of 295
Quote:

In a certain regard, it wouldn't be a meet without some participation from a certain catagory of vendor. And the problem is where to draw the line. Ray, Michael and I have been to a lot of meets and I think we add something to the nature of this activity without detracting too much. I think it is important that this be a comminity activity, but manufacturers are members of this community, too. I don't think this ought to be a "Trade Show", but I do think the trade can bring a lot of fun to a meet. I think there can and will be legit trade shows for headphones apart from mega-meets. I would argue that just as you can't have trade shows without enthusiasts, you can't have a certain type (read large) of meet without the trade----it simply can't be as good.

Oh please i didn't meant it in a bad way. Vedors and sponsors are important, no doubt about it. But I think Aaron has the right idea. All the manufacturers and sponsors will have their products represented in one way or another through head fiers equipment.

With all due respect dude, I think a meet can be just as sucessful or popular with or witout vendors. Simply because it's the love of headphones is what brings people together. I have a sneaking feeling that people this time will be going to meet the people behind the avatars and posts.

While I certainly agree that members of the trade are part of the commuinity 110%. It would be interesting to see how this meet will turn out without the vendors. It could be a success or a disaster. But I do think it will be just as good as any other.

Ya need to make a fuzzy badge.

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #34 of 295
Quote:

I've just been looking at a map. I may change my vote to Detroit:
[...]
A practical solution might also be Columbus, OH.

I think a big drawing point for a huge national meet should be that it's in a great city. With all due respect to Detroit and Columbus, they have nothing really worth visiting compared to Chicago. I can't speak for anyone else, but that would disqualify them for me. I'll always have people to see and things to do in NYC and Chicago but there are few other places like that. And I'm not willing to fly to Chicago and lose a whole day driving to Detroit or Columbus and being at the meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll
In a certain regard, it wouldn't be a meet without some participation from a certain catagory of vendor.

I agree with you there. I didn't mean in my earlier response to gsferrari that I wouldn't want vendors at the meet, I just don't think that you guys should be the centerpiece of the meet. This should be about meeting other Head-Fiers -- and vendors like you, Todd, Ray, Mikhail, and many others -- are certainly central Head-Fiers -- and hearing their set-ups.

Aug 22, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #35 of 295
[size=small]
I vote for Chi-town as well. It's centralized, it's windy (or airy) and it's close to home.
cool.gif

[/size]

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #36 of 295
i think we need a few members of trade, just dont make the meet into a store. Mike (GoRedwings19) please tell me you are coming dude! do it for the NYC!
icon10.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #37 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
i think we need a few members of trade, just dont make the meet into a store. Mike (GoRedwings19) please tell me you are coming dude! do it for the NYC!
icon10.gif

I both agree and disagree with this. I think it would be great if they had their stuff available for purchase, but that there should be zero pressure placed on people to buy anything. Of course, this is just my opinion, I'll go with what the majority thinks.

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #38 of 295
Quote:

In a certain regard, it wouldn't be a meet without some participation from a certain catagory of vendor. And the problem is where to draw the line. Ray, Michael and I have been to a lot of meets and I think we add something to the nature of this activity without detracting too much. I think it is important that this be a comminity activity, but manufacturers are members of this community, too. I don't think this ought to be a "Trade Show", but I do think the trade can bring a lot of fun to a meet. I think there can and will be legit trade shows for headphones apart from mega-meets. I would argue that just as you can't have trade shows without enthusiasts, you can't have a certain type (read large) of meet without the trade----it simply can't be as good.

I agree wholeheartedly.
icon10.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #39 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I both agree and disagree with this. I think it would be great if they had their stuff available for purchase, but that there should be zero pressure placed on people to buy anything. Of course, this is just my opinion, I'll go with what the majority thinks.

i have no problem with anyone selling anything. also we have to ask this question: how will this meet be different from any other?

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #40 of 295
There is one major problem I see with this though, and that is in organization. At most meets, people just bring the bulk of their gear and everybody just shares things around the room. This is great for meets up to about 20 people but as you get up to around 30 (which we had at the SoCal meet) things start to get lost and/or misplaced. If we're going to have a meet of this magnitude, this just isn't going to work. If you have even 100 people in attendance and they all bring a bunch of their things, there will be lots of overlap in gear. As the meet gets going and things get moved around the room there will be major problems.

I think a national meet is a great idea, but I think it will be necessary to come up with a different way to run it. A more trade show like atmosphere where we have stations with certain sets of gear that stay there and only there with someone to watch over it would be much better. I know this reduces the combinations of things you can try together but it does solve a lot of other problems.

Any other ideas as to the best way to set this up would be great!
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #41 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
icon10.gif

i will try to make it but I don't want to say for definite. i would certainly like to meet the headfiers behind the avatars. Gear is a very distant second. But there are a few things I would like to have an opportunity to listen to. But if I don't get the chance no biggie.

As long as you have a sofa for me to crash on what do I care. Otherwise I will just plant a cardboard box outside your front doorstep!
rs1smile.gif

I can sleep anywhere. In nightclubs, on dirt track roads while travelling by mini bus. On a plane with turbelence.

Aug 23, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #42 of 295
Speaking for those of us who live in areas that don't have any vendors for headphones, I would be disappointed if there were no vendors present.
Some of us never have the opportunity to go to a store & try out & purchase any gear - much less the exact gear we are interested in. If I were at a national meet part of the fun would be having the chance to buy something if I really found something I liked! But I do agree with the "no pressure" statements.

Aug 23, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #43 of 295
for organization and security, I think we should have Head-Fiers who are attending list the gears and equipment they will be bringing. we can then make a list of whos bringing what and see how many duplicates of items there are, and try to limit them.

the less gear we have, the less confusion and hassle.

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #44 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
for organization and security, I think we should have Head-Fiers who are attending list the gears and equipment they will be bringing. we can then make a list of whos bringing what and see how many duplicates of items there are, and try to limit them.

the less gear we have, the less confusion and hassle.

Sure, but then you'd have a line of people waiting for popular stuff that everyone has... That doesn't make a lot of sense. For example, say there were only 2-3 HD650s and you had 100 people in attendance. If 30 of them wanted to listen to them there'd be a pretty long waiting list. Even if you were limited to 30 mins, you could be waiting the better part of the day for them if you were low on the list. I say it's better to have lots of duplication, but have things assigned to stations. Again, just my opinion...
biggrin.gif

Incedentally, this is where I think vendor attendance could come in really handy. We could probably convince them to montior the stations, including the personal gear assigned to each station, so that we would be able to roam freely and try lots of gear. In exchange, they get to present/sell all their gear at those stations (again, no pushing or hard selling of their products, just presenting/offering).

There should absolutely be a check in/out of all gear.

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #45 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
i will try to make it but I don't want to say for definite. i would certainly like to meet the headfiers behind the avatars. Gear is a very distant second. But there are a few things I would like to have an opportunity to listen to. But if I don't get the chance no biggie.

As long as you have a sofa for me to crash on what do I care. Otherwise I will just plant a cardboard box outside your front doorstep!
rs1smile.gif

I can sleep anywhere. In nightclubs, on dirt track roads while travelling by mini bus. On a plane with turbelence.

dude, then you got a space to sleep in NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back