2006 Head-fi National Meet-April 22nd/23rd
Aug 22, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #17 of 295
I'd like to make a pitch for Chicago. I've been thinking a lot about the future of Head-Fi meets. One of the things I learned was that a lot of people like to bring there own gear and then change one thing at a time in their own set-up. That way they could hear things in a familiar acoustic environment. It seems to me that the thing people would want strongly to hear in their set-up is things that are currently available from the manufacturers. I'd like to see a meet where there was a room full of tables and each table had two members on it. Then around the edge of the room all the vendors had there display and were able to loan equipment to folks to take nback to their tables to try.

At a minimum, a strong vendor presence would be cool to have one way or the other. Chicago has a fair few based there, and those that aren't will have a regional office there. Vegas probably has zero regional offices there. (I also don't like Vegas because of CES every year and I'm sick of the place.)

The above idea would begin to need some kind of security steps like GS mentioned, but I'm sure we can deal with it. I'd like to see members pay maybe $20 but I'd like to see vendors cough up quite a bit more; I'm pretty sure we could drum up a healthy chunk of change for Jude.

As I've been thinking of ways to do this prior to seeing this post, I thought that three mega-meets (east-central-west in secondary cities) on the first three consecutive weekends after April 15 (tax money planning) would get some pretty big turnourts. That said, I'd love to come to an October meet, and I'd love to lend a hand by trying to talk some of the vendors and writers into coming.

Aug 22, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #19 of 295
I think the one of the very important things to consider is location!

Chicago being in a central location to US/Canada would be the most logical location.

biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #20 of 295
Chicago, chicago... that wonderful town!

Come over here guys! I can do any of those dates - but the weekend would obviously be better.

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 295
There's no way I'll attend if it's in Las Vegas. Too far from me and there's nothing that would make me want to visit. I lean very heavily toward Chicago as I've never been there and have army buddies that live there whom I haven't seen since I left Israel.

I honestly think the only two logical choices are Chicago and NYC. NYC may be on the east coast but in many ways it's still the center of the USA. Chicago is also a great city and closer to the geographical center of the country. Las Vegas is just a disgusting tacky wart in the desert.

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 295
There have been too many meets in the NYC/Chicago area. This one wont be any different. I think it is more interesting to go to a new place and do this "professionally".

All major conventions/expos/trade shows etc. are held in Vegas. That is the main identity of the place.

This shouldnt be a "meet" - this should be a "trade-show" of sorts. Public should be able to come in and check out the gear...We can advertise about it in Stereophile and other magazines to attract other audiophiles and journos.

NYC and Chicago have a "Been there...Done that...Several times" feeling to them. Too staid...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG
I honestly think the only two logical choices are Chicago and NYC

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 295
You seem to miss the point entirely, GSFerrari. While a professional trade presence and walk-in visitors may be nice, the central purpose of this gathering seems to be to meet other Head-Fiers from all parts of the country who would most likely not come to your local meets. And unless you want to sell off your imaginary motorcycles, where are we going to get the money for advertizing in Stereophile? Why don't you ask Tyll how much that costs per issue?

The essential advantage of Head-Fi is that it is a non-professional community at heart. We're a bunch of people who like listening to music, like that music to sound good, and don't mind -- or even prefer -- wearing headphones in order to listen. Sure, we have commercial sponsors who have a forum (like Todd) or who run contests and specials and what-not in forums, but those forums are segregated from the discussion forums for a reason. People want to read what non-professionals have to say about how a headphone or CD player affects the music they hear.

And it might be nice, for once, to be able to associate the avatars with real people, as immtbiker suggested in the original thread. Despite the number of people voting here for Las Vegas, I wonder how many would actually show up and especially with gear they'd have to get through airport security. With Chicago and NYC we have large local communities and so many local hosts and a guaranteed core attendance group. With the planned magnitude of this event we'll have more outside visitors coming in to meet the large local community as well as all the other "pilgrims".

Whatever might be said about local NYC and Chicago meets, for most of us they're not "been there...done that" affairs. Yours truly included. And a national gathering of Head-Fiers has certainly never happened.

Aug 22, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #24 of 295
Aside from Location (actually I wouldn't mind Chi-town as well as NYC, I have relatives, but you know I like Vegas. Food!) the organization discussion is also interesting. I like Tyll's idea where each of us has our own little outpost. Can you imagine "Jahn's Table" with his sad little Dell desktop source and meager modded rig, trying all the external DAC combos available from the myriad manufacturers, and a portable amp that would go with his nigh-broken KSC-35 and ipod? What a draw!
evil_smiley.gif
But seriously, even so, I would want someone to watch my stuff as I wander off to Joelongwood's Table 'O Cans or Bozebutton's Amps A-Plenty Kiosk, or ATY999's Insane Rigs Corner.

But yes, I'm all behind a national head-fi meet! Why not this year, and if not this year, next Spring as suggested, and we can take a year to plan it just right, and test out aspects of the idea in our regional meets?

Aug 22, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #26 of 295
I remember Tyll, having a brief moment of clarity, talked about his ideas for a headphone oriented convention at one of the west coast meets. He's got some really good ideas about how this kind of thing should be done. Having organized booths and tables would be an excellent way of keeping all the gear organized and prevent any confusion whilst packing up.

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #27 of 295
I quite like the idea of a non vendor meet. It will be just headfiers. And I do not mean that in an offensive way to any members of the trade.

I wish Aaron every success and hopes he manages to pull it off. It's gonna be totally fuzzy. I am sure Aaron will get the help he needs to help deal with the sheer logistics of it.

I want to meet so manyheadfiers that it would be very difficult to do so otherwise.

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #28 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
I remember Tyll, having a brief moment of clarity.

Woah! Really! When?

I've just been looking at a map. I may change my vote to Detroit:

Chicago folks could drive easy.

The Canucks could get there easy, too.

West coast folks are flying no matter what.

East coasters would be close enough to do a big one day drive to Detroit and make it.

A practical solution might also be Columbus, OH. Puts a lot of people within driving distance. (Driving distance is important because a lot of gear needs to be moved. If I fly with all my stuff its about $300 each way in overweight charges. Lots of folks can only afford to drive.)

NY will always win a vote. You guys are just a power house. I love New York, but it is expensive as hell for folks. I'll agree that it may be as close as you can get to the center of the universe, though. I'd vote for someplace out of the city. Up the river a bit towards Peekskill? I do think the city should rotate annually so you'd get it soon enough.

Detroit is home for Jude. I'd like to see the first Worldwide Head-Fi meet be in a place where he can enjoy it fully and not have to give up going home to sleep at night. Schmaltzy, I know, but I think it would be cool.

Re: the manufacturers loaning equipment and security at the meet. I think a system of chits with names and creditard numbers would work and if the manufacturers know to bring enough stock it could also work as a mass discount/Head-Fi fundraising opportunity. I also think that inventory lists to get you equipment onto the floor and then buddy system checink at the end with random chosen member pairs would get strangers introduced and keep honest people honest. I'd love to help as a lieson with other manufacturers in this regard however it turns out.

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #29 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I quite like the idea of a non vendor meet.

In a certain regard, it wouldn't be a meet without some participation from a certain catagory of vendor. And the problem is where to draw the line. Ray, Michael and I have been to a lot of meets and I think we add something to the nature of this activity without detracting too much. I think it is important that this be a comminity activity, but manufacturers are members of this community, too. I don't think this ought to be a "Trade Show", but I do think the trade can bring a lot of fun to a meet. I think there can and will be legit trade shows for headphones apart from mega-meets. I would argue that just as you can't have trade shows without enthusiasts, you can't have a certain type (read large) of meet without the trade----it simply can't be as good.

For example: I'd like to donate to Head-Fi a badgemaking machine if Head-Fi can find a volunteer to make killer Heaf-Fi meet badges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back