2006 Head-fi National Meet-April 22nd/23rd
Sep 23, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #256 of 295
Just go to expedia and run a search for New York City to get an idea of hotels rates.

Until we find out where exactly the meet will occur, then we can check for cheaper hotels depending on which borough or county its going to be held in.

Sep 23, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #257 of 295
Bear in mind that Aaron will be negotiating for hotel rooms as well as meeting space so he's likely to get rates lower than any published rate you'll find.

Quote:

The numbers don't lie, there are in fact a disproportionate number of people that live in or near NYC that voted for NYC Location, vs. the other locations.

I really don't want to have this discussion since the city has already been decided (and not just by people from NY, but by people who are going to make this happen on a grand scale; some of them happen to live in the NY area). However, if this is the case, then doesn't it make the most sense to have the meet in New York?

The idea behind this is to make it more than just a large grass roots Head-Fi meet. We want participation from major vendors and manufacturers. For example, we've tried to get Sony to come to a local meet before and it's just not worth it for them, even with the number of attendees we get at the NY meets, along with the subsequent postings and page views. If we want interaction with vendors other than the small boutique amp builders (no offense to you guys; without you we would never have gotten this far) then we need 1) a big turnout and 2) a fairly easy place to get to. If NY gives us the largest turnout, either because most Head-Fiers who like to go to meets live in the area or because people are willing to travel there is kind of besides the point. The fact remains that the most people will attend if its held in NY.

As was pointed out by Tyll earlier on, we really need the first "National Meet" to be a big success so that more people and vendors will be willing to travel farther for the next time. Once the presence of "The Nat" has been established then having one in Chicago or Vegas will be much easier.

Sep 23, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #258 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Now this info makes less sense to have the meet in NYC then. Unless you don't mind limiting the meet to more affluent/elite members, then more power to it, but don't pick a location that will in fact be more expensive and claim it's better for the masses.

-Ed

that quote was taken out of context. the original poster said that he thought the majority of headphone users were young and had no cash. my point #3 summarized that conclusion of his, then went on to say the following-

Head-fi members aren't all young and poor. heck, there might be a combination of old and poor, or young and rich, or old and rich, or young and poor. but the majority? i have a feeling they are Old Enough and have enough cash to make the wallet scream but not die. imho.

And let's say alot of headphone users ARE young and poor, and thus can't travel. well then, the meet should be in a place where they can get to easily, and there is a large population of young and poor. Hello, City! Even to get to Vegas from LA takes more cash than it takes to hop on a NYC subway or LIRR train or other mass transit (or even an Atlantic City bus for 20 bucks!) and get to the meet. Chicago would be the other mass-population area that could handle the "young and poor" crowd in terms of population and cost of travel. by nature, none of those young and poor folks will be able to come from other cities, so it's better to hold a meet where at least you capture a fair amount of em.

that said, in our regional meets, if you looked around in any of the big city meets, how many young and poor did you see? i saw more head-fiers that were able to afford the stuff at the meet than anything else. a National Meet certainly should invite everyone regardless of age or economic background, but i just see the interested parties having more disposable income (and therefore either "come from money" or old enough to make it for themselves).

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #259 of 295
One thing to consider...

As a veteran of many LAN parties, we need to make sure that wherever we meet has power. Lots of power. Not to the extent of the LAN parties I help organize (www.multimayhem.com, usually 300-400 people, consider an average power supply of 400w, that's a LOT of juice), where the convention center that we LAN at ended up spending just short of $30k to upgrade their power in the convention hall, but power could be a concern with all this electrical equipment running at the same time. You may want to check and see if there have been electronics trade shows or computer trade shows or something of the sort there before, because it would really stink to show up and be popping breakers and such all the time (as we were at the first LAN we hosted).

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #260 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
One thing to consider...

As a veteran of many LAN parties, we need to make sure that wherever we meet has power. Lots of power. Not to the extent of the LAN parties I help organize (www.multimayhem.com, usually 300-400 people, consider an average power supply of 400w, that's a LOT of juice), where the convention center that we LAN at ended up spending just short of $30k to upgrade their power in the convention hall, but power could be a concern with all this electrical equipment running at the same time. You may want to check and see if there have been electronics trade shows or computer trade shows or something of the sort there before, because it would really stink to show up and be popping breakers and such all the time (as we were at the first LAN we hosted).

Excluding some tube gear, most headphone amps and CD players draw very little current compared to computers. The main thing to worry about with just about any large meet is number of outlets to plug into. Power Distribution is more important than power amount.

-Ed

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #261 of 295
Any idea when this will be held yet? I'm assuming NYC is the place looking at the votes? I might come if I can organize a few people in Canada [one with a car].
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #262 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Any idea when this will be held yet? I'm assuming NYC is the place looking at the votes? I might come if I can organize a few people in Canada [one with a car].
biggrin.gif

It says in the title of the thread. it will be on April 22nd and 23rd.

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #263 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Bear in mind that Aaron will be negotiating for hotel rooms as well as meeting space so he's likely to get rates lower than any published rate you'll find.

I really don't want to have this discussion since the city has already been decided (and not just by people from NY, but by people who are going to make this happen on a grand scale; some of them happen to live in the NY area). However, if this is the case, then doesn't it make the most sense to have the meet in New York?

The idea behind this is to make it more than just a large grass roots Head-Fi meet. We want participation from major vendors and manufacturers. For example, we've tried to get Sony to come to a local meet before and it's just not worth it for them, even with the number of attendees we get at the NY meets, along with the subsequent postings and page views. If we want interaction with vendors other than the small boutique amp builders (no offense to you guys; without you we would never have gotten this far) then we need 1) a big turnout and 2) a fairly easy place to get to. If NY gives us the largest turnout, either because most Head-Fiers who like to go to meets live in the area or because people are willing to travel there is kind of besides the point. The fact remains that the most people will attend if its held in NY.

As was pointed out by Tyll earlier on, we really need the first "National Meet" to be a big success so that more people and vendors will be willing to travel farther for the next time. Once the presence of "The Nat" has been established then having one in Chicago or Vegas will be much easier.

Fine, since it's already set in stone that NYC is the place to have it, where in the city are you guys thinking of having it, and how about some rough esitmates of hotel costs. Looking up Expedia gives a rather large range of places. Ranging from $120/night to well over $500/night for a double occupancy. (thinking of bringing the wife.)

But the last thing I want to do is spend hours commuting to the Meet, so having the hotel within a short distance, preferrably walking distance is best.

Are there plans to have the meet at a specific place? A hotel? Large Conference room? Small convention hall? Someone's mansion?

What are the costs involved? Is there going to be a "cover charge" to help pay for the venue? Are sponsors footing the bill?

Many have expressed barely being able to afford airfare let alone a hotel as well, plus a possible admission fee. Of course, we can always just say FU to all of them, because they either don't have enough money.

-Ed

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #264 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Post some hotel prices if you know of any. Is it possible to get a group rate?
-Ed

Edwood...did you read post #239, where I stated that the conference center that we might have the meet at will give us a group rate, and that I am trying to get manufacturers to defray some of the costs? Just in case it was missed...here is an excerpt:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immtbiker
I also stated that we might be having vendors and manufacturers coming, that might be able to defray the stay over costs. Give me a friggin' chance! I also said that it would be in a hotel that has conference centers, and I am trying to get a group rate...

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #265 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
biggrin.gif

philodox...if you look at the top of the poll, you will see where it says:

Quote:

2006 Head-fi National Meet-NYC it is...April 22nd/23rd

Also in post #250, answering Zanth's question about carpooling from Canada:

Quote:

Gather the forces Jason, and put them in that "piece of junk van and rotate drivers and sleep the rusty floor", if I can kind of quote someone.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #266 of 295
There are budget hotels in Manhattan. I've stayed at the Herald Square Hotel right near the Empire State building. About 80 bucks a night - definitely a budget hotel, but it's reasonably clean, good air conditioning (if a bit loud) and wifi access. Can't really ask for more.

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: Though personally? I'd get four people and split a twin room at the W hotel on Union Square. I think it's less than $300 a night and while I'm not a huge fan of W hotels, it's a nice room and a real bargain for an upper-end hotel.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #267 of 295
OK, I booked the conference center and plunked down a deposit. I will let everyone get their negativity out of their system and then I will close the thread, and start a factual one for those who are coming. Inappropriate posts in the new thread will be deleted.

I booked 3 rooms...a total of 3300 square feet. The Ramada Hotel and Conference center is in Bayside, New York (I'll say it again...New York), for Saturday April 22nd. All 3 rooms adjoin, but two will be open together for a total of 2200 square feet for Head-Fi members and their guests. The third room of 1100 sq. feet will be separate (but directly on the other side of the wall), and will be for manufacturers and vendors, who are willing to donate for the good of Head-Fi and selling their wares at discounted prices. The time will be from 11-7, which gives people plenty of time to come and go as they please.

The second day, Sunday, I have one 1100 sq. foot room reserved for Head-Fier's who wish to attend a second day, or couldn't make it the first day.
There will be tables and chairs up the gazoo, and good power (they do weddings and parties) but we will need power strips and extension cords.
If I can get some Manufacturers to cough up cash, which is already being worked on, (I have a comittee working on it as we speak) there will be a breakfast buffet, on Sunday morning, from 11 until 12, and the meet hours are from 11-4, if people want, I can make it from 10-4, it costs the same.
As with our previous meets, donations will be accepted but are not mandatory.

I have reserved a block of 50 rooms in the hotel, where the meet is, and people will have up to 30 days before the meet to book a room.
The normal price is $145.00 for a room, but Head-Fier's will get a group rate of $115.00 and that will have double beds that can be shared by two, or if you're sneaky, more people.

The hotel is a 22 minute train ride (Long Island RR) from Manhattan's Penn Station, which is accessible from Port Authority, Amtrak, and NJ Transit. The hotel is about 15 blocks from the Long Island RR Bayside station, and has a large car service, that will charge about $3. It is also 1 block from 2 major highways, and parking is free, but might need to go back into the neighborhood, once their 2 lots fill up.

I will repost this in the beginning of the new thread, along with other pertinent info.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #269 of 295
Bob...everything is west of the William Floyd Parkway, except for a fork and a whole lot of ocean
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #270 of 295
Ok can i please be the 1st one to suggest a meeting at Penn Station for everyone who is going? We can all meet up and go there together. This way we all be there at the same time and less chance of getting lost for people like me who never took LIRR before.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back