~$2000 Speaker Budget (Considering a B&W 600 Series, thoughts?)
Nov 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright. I spent some time in a Magnolia room a few days ago and decided I wanted to get some good backing for my speaker system as well as my headphone system.

I think I'll be pushing these with a Marantz 2238 (when and if I can get it redone properly).

I'm using my vintage JBL 4301Bs right now but I've loved all the B&Ws I've heard and the 683 pair seems like it's at a good price for me (~1500 for the pair).

I of course know there's more options out there in the price range I'm just not sure where to start with speakers.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 45
If you are open to pre-loved, you might consider a set of used Thiel 3.6's

example:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1326146601&/Thiel-CS-3.6-Walnut

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 45

I'd consider it if I was dropping the money right now but this is more a scouting thread rather than a buying immediately thread.

I'm not opposed to used gear suggestions but it would need to be something that hits the used market fairly regularly.

Quote:
If you are open to pre-loved, you might consider a set of used Thiel 3.6's

example:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1326146601&/Thiel-CS-3.6-Walnut

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 45
I do see those crop up on Audiogon pretty often at around that price ... the SQ at that price will be hard to beat, IMO. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 45
I love doing research. Paradigm is a name I see a lot around here so I'm looking forward to checking them out especially.

Quote:
PSB,Paradigm,Energy and since you already like the British B&W look into Monitor Audio and Mordaunt Short

Quote:
Definitely give Paradigm and Martin Logan a shot.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 45
Some used Maggie 1.6QR's are unbeatable speakers..the B&W's are quite a bit different than the JBL's from a voicing standpoint whereas the Maggies/ET's are in a league all their own. If you have the space and amps for the 1.6QR's I'd not look at anything else....you can get yourself a great used set with Mye or Sound Anchor stands for roughly 1100 USD. They come up quite often on Audiogon and have good resale value.

Eminent Technology LFT- VIIIbs are also another outstanding value on the used market. I have both types of speaker (ET and Magneplanars) in my setup in a stacked array and I will never go back to regular dynamic speakers again. I'm hooked. They do require some space however which is the only drawback to these dipole types.

Peete.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 45
God Maggies are sexy. I could run a Pre-amp to my (could be mine for free anyway) Carver power amp, but I'm not sure if the Carver is really up to standard for a set up like this. 

I really enjoyed the B&Ws in the Magnolia room but next time I go in I'm bringing my own test material and hand picking the stuff they push it with to get a better idea of the speakers sound rather than the rest.
Quote:
Some used Maggie 1.6QR's are unbeatable speakers..the B&W's are quite a bit different than the JBL's from a voicing standpoint whereas the Maggies/ET's are in a league all their own. If you have the space and amps for the 1.6QR's I'd not look at anything else....you can get yourself a great used set with Mye or Sound Anchor stands for roughly 1100 USD. They come up quite often on Audiogon and have good resale value.

Eminent Technology LFT- VIIIbs are also another outstanding value on the used market. I have both types of speaker (ET and Magneplanars) in my setup in a stacked array and I will never go back to regular dynamic speakers again. I'm hooked. They do require some space however which is the only drawback to these dipole types.

Peete.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 45
The push-pull Magnepans are indeed nice to listen to, assuming you like their dispersion characteristics.  They're definitely placement critical - same for the Martin Logans though.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 45
Maggies! If you have a room that suits them they're wonderful.

Electrostats are terrific, but I think a level of masochism - or at least a desire to suffer for art - is a part of ownership. I'm tolerating a little hiss and spit with the ESL-63s. Sooner or later, I need to learn how to stretch thin pieces of Mylar with weights attached. Or maybe that board with the bicycle tube that can be inflated to tension the panels is a better idea. I am trying to think of it as an adventure.

Though I have noticed that ProAc Response 2.5 speakers have dipped below $2k on Audiogon. My clones are still keeping me happy. The bass is tuneful and freakishly deep. They image almost as well as the Quads and the crossover is almost seamless. They're not as resolving as 'stats or good headphones, but they're so much fun to listen to. The EL34s in my amp make them a little sweet and fatigue-free. They're easy to leave on all day and tunefully bump when it's time to crank them up. If you can find a pair, I highly recommend them. Take a look at some reviews - people really enjoy these speakers.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 45
My concern is space and power. I just don't think a redone 2238 would do Maggies justice. It's a decent amount of power, but I still don't think it'd be enough...

Plus I do live in an apartment so the space isn't exactly the best.

Quote:
Maggies! If you have a room that suits them they're wonderful.

Electrostats are terrific, but I think a level of masochism - or at least a desire to suffer for art - is a part of ownership. I'm tolerating a little hiss and spit with the ESL-63s. Sooner or later, I need to learn how to stretch thin pieces of Mylar with weights attached. Or maybe that board with the bicycle tube that can be inflated to tension the panels is a better idea. I am trying to think of it as an adventure.

Though I have noticed that ProAc Response 2.5 speakers have dipped below $2k on Audiogon. My clones are still keeping me happy. The bass is tuneful and freakishly deep. They image almost as well as the Quads and the crossover is almost seamless. They're not as resolving as 'stats or good headphones, but they're so much fun to listen to. The EL34s in my amp make them a little sweet and fatigue-free. They're easy to leave on all day and tunefully bump when it's time to crank them up. If you can find a pair, I highly recommend them. Take a look at some reviews - people really enjoy these speakers.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 45
Monitor Audio RX6's ($1200/pair) simply dominate any other speakers under $2000 in my opinion.

I actually almost got a pair of B&W 683's until I head the Monitors. Audition them before you buy anything. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 45
That's the other problem. I'd be making blind buys unless it's in a Magnolia room (for the most part). There's a few places in town I need to visit and do some listening but none of them are Monitor dealers (or Maggies, etc.).

Quote:
Monitor Audio RX6's ($1200/pair) simply dominate any other speakers under $2000 in my opinion.

I actually almost got a pair of B&W 683's until I head the Monitors. Audition them before you buy anything. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 45
I was lucky that I had a local Monitor dealer. The finish on the RX6's is much nicer than the 683's in my opinion, as well; real wood veneers, magnetic grilles so when you remove them for listening there's no unsightly holes in the cabinet, the corners are rounded etc. I'm so confident the RX6's are better or at least as good as the 683's that I can recommend you buy them even if you have to make a blind purchase. That being said, I'm just a guy on the internet so it's up to you how much weight you want to give to my opinion. The 683's would by my second choice hands down, so you really can't lose whatever you decide on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back