~$200 Open Over-Ear HPs For Rock/Metal?
Jul 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #46 of 51
What worries me about the O2 is that is has slightly less power than the Vali, and I know the Q701 needs a high amount of power to get the best sound.

Based on what I see with their specs on wattage output, the difference is probably negligible. Takes twice the wattage for +3db more volume; approx +10db for a perceived doubling in volume. So takes significantly more power than you probably realize to make a difference. Plus, my understanding of why the Q701s are a bit difficult to drive has to do with voltage swing needs as much as insensitivity. And which would be better at that I don't think you can tell by the specs that are given.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #47 of 51
  I've been looking at the O2 and reading some more reviews, and with a power cord (so that I don't have to change batteries every few hours) it puts my cost at about $150 for the amp. At this price I could easily buy a used Asgard, which has much more power and would likely drive the Q701 very easily. I would like to stay closer to $100, and I've heard the Vali goes very well with the Q701. It has a higher output impedance (6.5 ohms), but the Q701's impedance is 62 ohms, so it is more than 8 times the output impedance. The Vali also has slightly more power than the O2, so if the O2 has no problem driving the Q701, the Vali shouldn't have a problem. At the moment, I think I've decided upon the Q701 with either a Vali or Asgard 1. If I can find an Asgard 1 under/around $125 I'll go for the Asgard, but if not I'll likely go for the Vali.

I very recently picked up a new O2 for under $100, including the power cord.

I think you will be better served by either the O2 or a good used Asgard 1 over the newish entry level Schiit hybrid.  While I have not yet heard the Vali, a number of people have reported a high noise floor in some of the units.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #48 of 51

I think you will be better served by either the O2 or a good used Asgard 1 over the newish entry level Schiit hybrid.  While I have not yet heard the Vali, a number of people have reported a high noise floor in some of the units.

I have not heard the Vali but read the sound is ringing from tube microphonics.. The later Asgards are dead quiet.:D

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #49 of 51

Where was it that you found the O2 for under $100? And I did want my setup to be as quiet as possible, so I will look for an Asgard or O2 within my price range. I may be able to afford an Asgard if I buy a used Q701, but I'd prefer to buy it new. All I really need is an amp that can drive the Q701 well (which all of these amps do) and be neutral/slightly warm but also be very quiet, and be under ~$110 or so. The O2's neutrality might be better because if I need more bass I can mess with the settings on the X3. 

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #50 of 51
Where was it that you found the O2 for under $100? And I did want my setup to be as quiet as possible, so I will look for an Asgard or O2 within my price range. I may be able to afford an Asgard if I buy a used Q701, but I'd prefer to buy it new. All I really need is an amp that can drive the Q701 well (which all of these amps do) and be neutral/slightly warm but also be very quiet, and be under ~$110 or so. The O2's neutrality might be better because if I need more bass I can mess with the settings on the X3. 

Years ago a member Markl wrote a review for the AKG k701 series that tells a great story about the k701 burn in process. We get to hear opinion about the sound at 50hrs to over 500hrs of descriptive burn in SQ changes.......lol

Here
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/akg-k701-headphone-initial-impressions-raw-and-uncensored.75440/

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #51 of 51

Sorry forum rules prevent me from saying where.  See post #1 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back