~$200 Open Over-Ear HPs For Rock/Metal?
Jul 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #31 of 51
Good call. To the OP, I'd let you borrow a pair of SR 80s not getting used right now if you wanted.

Thanks to both of you, but I think I would really need an around-the-ear HP. My last headphone (a cheap Sony) was on-ear and wasn't comfortable at all. I'm leaning towards getting the Q701 at the moment, and looking at amps to pair with it. If I don't go for the Q701, I'll likely go for the DT880.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #32 of 51

Going straight out of an iPod Touch 5th generation. This is really a smooth and detailed combo. Tweaking the bass by using ALAC rips from iTunes and Epiphany 2 power cord.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #33 of 51

Going straight out of an iPod Touch 5th generation. This is really a smooth and detailed combo. Tweaking the bass by using ALAC rips from iTunes and Epiphany 2 power cord.

That's pretty much what I think I'll be doing, except using the FiiO X3's line out into the amp. I think I can get a used Asgard 1 for ~$100, which I've heard has a warmer sound that'll give the Q701 a bit more bass. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #34 of 51
That's pretty much what I think I'll be doing, except using the FiiO X3's line out into the amp. I think I can get a used Asgard 1 for ~$100, which I've heard has a warmer sound that'll give the Q701 a bit more bass. 

Yes. The Asgard is a heck of a deal for $100. Don't know what SQ you get going for Asgard 2?

Make sure you get a later one as the first ones had a mechanical transformer hum that you could hear outside the amp but not in the headphones. Also later they added a delay servo that takes 5 to 10
seconds to trip allowing the power to run and stoping the nasty pop the first gen had if your headphones were plugged in when amp turned on.:mad:

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #35 of 51
Also if you do end up with the Asgard and AKG k701 combo try different sources. Depending on what your line level out you should find volume area where you can't get any louder without the sound falling apart. This I figure is just testimony to how ruthless the k701s are to drive. Still different combos of sources are going to change the sound a lot. If you own CDs try a DVD or CD player. A USB DAC. I'm getting really good sound out of the Touch playing FLAC files. Still have not tried line level out.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #36 of 51
Also if you do end up with the Asgard and AKG k701 combo try different sources. Depending on what your line level out you should find volume area where you can't get any louder without the sound falling apart. This I figure is just testimony to how ruthless the k701s are to drive. Still different combos of sources are going to change the sound a lot. If you own CDs try a DVD or CD player. A USB DAC. I'm getting really good sound out of the Touch playing FLAC files. Still have not tried line level out.

Unfortunately I don't have much money (student) so I can't buy a USB DAC (my computer is a bit old/slow so I don't use it for listening to music, just managing it) but I may be able to get a LOD for my iPod and try that with the Asgard. Thanks for your help and suggestions, I think I have made up my mind and will try to get the Asgard and Q701.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #37 of 51
I wouldn't stress if you can't find the Asgard 1 at a good price. I'm sure the Schiit Magni or the Objective 2 amp would sound quite good with the Q701s. If you have any concerns about that, ask in the Q701 thread. I would imagine that some members have experience with the Q701s with those amps.

I demoed the Q701s at home for a week with the Objective 2, and I thought the O2 sounded fine and did a good job of driving them. And it was definitely a step up over the FiiO E17 (same headphone amp and DAC hardware as the X3) which I also tried with the Q701s. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, especially to a student on a budget. :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #38 of 51
Unfortunately I don't have much money (student) so I can't buy a USB DAC (my computer is a bit old/slow so I don't use it for listening to music, just managing it) but I may be able to get a LOD for my iPod and try that with the Asgard. Thanks for your help and suggestions, I think I have made up my mind and will try to get the Asgard and Q701.

The line out with the LOD will blow you away SQ wise. If your iOS does not let you play FLAC files with VLC player (iOS 7 and above) you can go rockbox or just use ALAC and you will be fine using CD rips. Good luck!

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #39 of 51
  That may work if they don't touch the ears as much, but they still seem slightly uncomfortable and the pads may cost too much (I'd prefer not to spend over $200). I'll look into these more, thanks for the suggestion. 

from grado, a whopping 45$, and I'm not sure it is for the pair or for only a piece: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-G-CUSH-Headphone-Cushion-GS1000i/dp/B007Q2O6KK/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404405906&sr=1-4&keywords=GRADO+CUSHION

aftermarket ones, 20$ for one pair: http://www.amazon.com/Ear-Zonk-Replacement-Headphone-Cushion/dp/B00BW4RWH2/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404405906&sr=1-3&keywords=GRADO+CUSHION

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #40 of 51
The line out with the LOD will blow you away SQ wise. If your iOS does not let you play FLAC files with VLC player (iOS 7 and above) you can go rockbox or just use ALAC and you will be fine using CD rips. Good luck!

He also has the FiiO X3. Doubtful that the iPod will sound significantly better, if at all, than using the X3 DAC and line out.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #41 of 51
He also has the FiiO X3. Doubtful that the iPod will sound significantly better, if at all, than using the X3 DAC and line out.

And that's the great thing is that with a system so resolving he will maybe hear slight differences or maybe not. Still to get to this level of resolution at this price point was completely unheard of a couple of years ago. I'm sure he will have to post here when it all is up and running. :pr

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #42 of 51
I wouldn't stress if you can't find the Asgard 1 at a good price. I'm sure the Schiit Magni or the Objective 2 amp would sound quite good with the Q701s. If you have any concerns about that, ask in the Q701 thread. I would imagine that some members have experience with the Q701s with those amps.

I demoed the Q701s at home for a week with the Objective 2, and I thought the O2 sounded fine and did a good job of driving them. And it was definitely a step up over the FiiO E17 (same headphone amp and DAC hardware as the X3) which I also tried with the Q701s. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, especially to a student on a budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes--the O2 is a great neutral amp at a very good price.  If you like the sound signture of the can that you are running from it, then it is almost certianly a good match with the O2.  I have paired the O2 with the Q 701 and it works well in all respects.

The only draw back of the standard O2 is its interface with other equipment.  It has no RCA jacks and only mini-jacks for input and headphone out.  It's A/C power connection is located on the front panel as well.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #43 of 51

Yes--the O2 is a great neutral amp at a very good price.  If you like the sound signture of the ran that you are running from it, then it is almost certianly a good match with the O2.  I have paired the O2 with the Q 701 and it works well in all respects.

The only draw back of the standard O2 is its interface with other equipment.  It has no RCA jacks and only mini-jacks for input and headphone out.  It's A/C power connection is located on the front panel as well.

The fact that it has no RCA input actually helps me out, I'll be using it with my X3 so I can just use a regular cable instead of buying a 3.5mm to RCA. I was looking at the O2; the Magni has a slightly bright sound from what I've heard, and the Vali has a pretty high output impedance, and I've heard it isn't completely quiet (though I've also heard that it is). What worries me about the O2 is that is has slightly less power than the Vali, and I know the Q701 needs a high amount of power to get the best sound.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #44 of 51

Yes--the O2 is a great neutral amp at a very good price.  If you like the sound signture of the ran that you are running from it, then it is almost certianly a good match with the O2.  I have paired the O2 with the Q 701 and it works well in all respects.

The fact that it has no RCA input actually helps me out, I'll be using it with my X3 so I can just use a regular cable instead of buying a 3.5mm to RCA. I was looking at the O2; the Magni has a slightly bright sound from what I've heard, and the Vali has a pretty high output impedance, and I've heard it isn't completely quiet (though I've also heard that it is). What worries me about the O2 is that is has slightly less power than the Vali, and I know the Q701 needs a high amount of power to get the best sound.

While the Q701 is more difficult to drive than it specs suggest, it is not extremely difficult to drive properly.  The O2 has no trouble handling it.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #45 of 51
I've been looking at the O2 and reading some more reviews, and with a power cord (so that I don't have to change batteries every few hours) it puts my cost at about $150 for the amp. At this price I could easily buy a used Asgard, which has much more power and would likely drive the Q701 very easily. I would like to stay closer to $100, and I've heard the Vali goes very well with the Q701. It has a higher output impedance (6.5 ohms), but the Q701's impedance is 62 ohms, so it is more than 8 times the output impedance. The Vali also has slightly more power than the O2, so if the O2 has no problem driving the Q701, the Vali shouldn't have a problem. At the moment, I think I've decided upon the Q701 with either a Vali or Asgard 1. If I can find an Asgard 1 under/around $125 I'll go for the Asgard, but if not I'll likely go for the Vali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back