~$200 Open Over-Ear HPs For Rock/Metal?
Jun 30, 2014 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

TRapz

500+ Head-Fier
I've been interested in getting a decent home system that can be moved around easily. I've ordered a FiiO X3 for portable use but for my home system I'll be going X3 Line Out > Schiit Magni > Open Over-Ear Headphone. I've now got to figure out what I'll be getting for HPs. I've got the Shure SRH440, which I use with an iPod Touch 4G or Nokia Lumia 520 mainly. I enjoy the sound from these, but I want something better for home use. I usually listen to all forms of rock and a few types of metal. I also listen to some earlier hip hop/rap and folk. I've been looking at a few headphones, mainly the AKG Q701 and the Sennheiser HD598, and I'd like what I get to be good with rock/metal. I can't demo anything unfortunately, so I need some help choosing. I'm probably the opposite of a basshead; I think the bass on the SRH440 is fine (many say it lacks bass), but I wouldn't mind a little more. From research, I've heard the AKG has great speed (good for metal) but many say rock/metal don't do well on it. On the other hand, I've heard the HD598 is slow and has the "Sennheiser veil." I would like to have very clear headphones with the least veil possible. I've considered the HD600, but I don't want to spend more than ~$200 for headphones. Comfort and durability should be decent as well. I'd prefer to hear from people who have heard both so that I can get a good comparison, but any help would be appreciated. If there are other headphones in this range that do well with rock and have a mostly neutral sound, please let me know and a comparison or explanation of the sound would be incredibly helpful. Thanks for your help and for taking the time to read this.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 51
  If the comfort is OK for you (everyone is different), the new Grado SR 225e (or older i) is a great choice.

Totally forgot to mention Grados; I'm not a fan of on-ear headphones and comfort is somewhat important. I would prefer something that goes completely around the ear. Sorry for not mentioning that, and thanks for your suggestion.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 51
  Totally forgot to mention Grados; I'm not a fan of on-ear headphones and comfort is somewhat important. I would prefer something that goes completely around the ear. Sorry for not mentioning that, and thanks for your suggestion.

have u tried grado ? u should at least try it. the sound will change your mind  
wink.gif
 they're perfect for metal.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 51
  have u tried grado ? u should at least try it. the sound will change your mind  
wink.gif
 they're perfect for metal.

I would love to try an over-ear Grado; I don't like on-ears at all, way too uncomfortable. Is there any way to create a completely over-ear Grado (totally around the ears) with different pads that keep the sound mostly the same?

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 51
Then go for the DT880!

I haven't researched this as much as the HD598 and Q701, but it was something that I was thinking about. Have you tried this HP with rock/metal? Is it neutral and clear, and fast enough for metal? And also, which version should I go with?

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 51
I've had the 250 version and loved it for rock based stuff. Large soundstage, rich textured mids, clear highs. Not as aggressive as Grados but still plenty fun. Can't say much about speed metal but Pantera, SOAD, and AC/DC all sounded just fine.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 51
  quite sure that the sr225e is an over ear headphone 

Quite wrong 
biggrin.gif

Just teasing, but honestly, despite the way those pads look, the rest on the ears instead of over them. There's not a Grado in the world that is over-ear (unless you consider their G-cush pads circumaural. For most they sit 'around,' but still touch the ear.

Actually, to the OP, you may be interested in giving them a go.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 51
  Quite wrong 
biggrin.gif

Just teasing, but honestly, despite the way those pads look, the rest on the ears instead of over them. There's not a Grado in the world that is over-ear (unless you consider their G-cush pads circumaural. For most they sit 'around,' but still touch the ear.

Actually, to the OP, you may be interested in giving them a go.

That may work if they don't touch the ears as much, but they still seem slightly uncomfortable and the pads may cost too much (I'd prefer not to spend over $200). I'll look into these more, thanks for the suggestion. 
I've had the 250 version and loved it for rock based stuff. Large soundstage, rich textured mids, clear highs. Not as aggressive as Grados but still plenty fun. Can't say much about speed metal but Pantera, SOAD, and AC/DC all sounded just fine.

Those bands are actually some of the main ones I listen to, so I'll look a bit more into these as well. Was this the Pro or Premium version of the 250? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back