$200 dollar headphones for Rock, Metal and all around it.
Jan 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mudzi

New Head-Fier
Hi im looking to upgrade my current ATH-M50 to some better headphones + an Fiio E10. I really want these headphones to be extremely comfortable which is why I have had an eye on the DT770/880/990 however I do not have the possibility to test these out myself I have gotten different opinions from the internet. From what I have read the 770s has more base than the other 2 and that the 880 sounds more neutral. Im guessing the 880 would be better for my music taste then? Another set of headphones that I have looked at are the Creative Aurvava Live 2. These seem to be new on the market but there arent many reviews of them, atleast not any proper ones. 
Another question I have is why doesnt the audio technology grow? It seems like the DT770s has been around since 2006 and are still one of the best in this price range :s

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 4
honestly, I don't think you are going to get much upgrade moving to the DTs from the ATH-M50s, a little more bass response, now if you are moving to the 990 open, you will find a difference in terms of sound staging and lack of bass response…I like open cans for Rock and Metal for the separation of instruments, most people don't because of lack of bass response. Rock and metal can be hard for headphones to reproduce because of the speed, and the possibility of distortion….For under $200 you can't beat the ath m50s for metal and rock, IMO….Technology is always improving from open back to planar magnetic headphones, etc……some headphones are just so awesome, companies keep them around for long periods of time

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 4
Long as you're good with open, the 990 is a great set of cans for the $$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back