$200 and under portable cans
Jul 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Iskallassait

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Been using head-fi for a while and in the need for advice decided to finally sign up.

I'm looking for a new set of cans (preferably on-ears but portable over-ears are also acceptable) for $200 or less, the problem is that I'm going blind on this one both because I can't listen to any of the models I'm considering and because there's absolutely no reference to my taste in music in the reviews.
I'm currently looking into Sennheiser HD-25-1 II, V-Moda M-80 or ATH M-50 but as I've said - according to everything I've read about them I'm completely unsure about any of them.
In the past I've owned Koss Porta-Pro, AKG Q350, Klipsch Image S4 (Had to get rid of them after a couple weeks due to my ears acting up. I can't use any sort of IEM as for now) and I'm currently using AKG K450.

I listen mostly to metal (black-folk, progressive-black and avantgarde), as well as some classic rock, alternative rock and electronic (dnb and goa-trance) meaning a deal lot of distorted guitars, aggressive drumming and both clean and growl vocals (though much less growling than you'd expect) on the other hand there's acoustics; synths; classical/symphonic instruments and more relaxed, rock-oriented guitars.
The K450 are great but lacking: excellent highs, a good bass impact but lacking depth and detail and their mids make them sound extremely flat and dull when not tuned down via eq. They also have a very small soundstage overall.

As far as sound goes I can't really refer to anything but my taste and my current headphones.
Bass is quite important to me on all aspects, I appreciate good impact (I loved the Porta-Pro's thump and the K450s are sufficient) but depth and detail are more important to me and of course that it wouldn't bleed towards the mids and overshadow them.
On the K450 I have to put the mids down otherwise they sound extremely dull and on some tracks the meaning is very depressed (volume-wise) vocals.
The highs are fine on the AKG's by me. Shiny and accurate yet not pinchy or hissy.

With the M-80's I'm worried about the reported smoothness in the highs and orientation towards vocal music and also the somewhat bad isolation (no idea whether cranking up the volume a little would help with that)
With the HD 25's I'm concerned about the reported sound stage, the fact that they're studio oriented (flat) and the sharpness in the sound (most of the metal I listen to is sharp sounding as it is and I have no idea how it would react with either sharp or smooth cans).
The ATH M-50 seem overall good from the reviews I've read but I'm getting the feeling that they won't improve much from my AKGs.

Hope I didn't over lengthened it.
Any input would be much appreciated!

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 3
All 3 are pretty well regarded on the forums, however, I can only really comment on your concerns regarding the HD25s. The sound stage is a bit cramped, but this is to be expected of a closed can and I doubt the other M50 or M80 would fair a whole lot better in that category. In regards to sound signature I wouldn't call them that flat at all, as they have a very forward vocal range paired with a punchy bass. They are commonly described as the Grado-esque Sennheiser, so I think that would definitely disqualify them being considered "flat". The HD25s also seem to have a small roll off in the very high end frequencies, so perhaps that would help with the sharpness you describe.

You also mentioned aggressive drumming and an emphasis on vocals, which would seem to play right into the HD25's strengths as they are known for their "special touch" with vocals and their energetic/fast pace. The M50s are much slower than the HD25 judging by the one listening session I had with them, though the M50 does have a much stronger/impactful bass.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the input!
After some more reviews I'm pretty much convinced that I was right about the ATH M-50.

I'd still like some input on how the V-80's behave with metal and electronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back