20 year old AKG K240M 600ohm, cable broken.
Feb 19, 2011 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9
My uncle recently found a pair of his old ones laying around. They are estimated at about 20 years old, with the ridged cable. I searched the other day for these particular models and they seemed cheap, though I wasn't sure if older ones were potentially worth more. If the age of the K240m 600ohm is unimportant then I will gladly just buy a used pair instead. If they are indeed worth spending some money to replace the cord, I was wondering if anyone knew of a site to order the original cable, or something budget. I do not believe in headphones cables increasing sound quality, so I'm looking for a solid decently priced cable, assuming these are worth spending the money on.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 9
K240M is known to have incredibly transparent mids and neutral sound sig. It certainly won't be to everyone's tastes and it's certainly not like any headphones in your inventory at the moment. They're also likely going to need a better amp than something like an E7.  They're certainly very capable headphones though, that's for sure, and likely worth playing around with.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Oh I'm definitely interested in them and am also aware the E7 will not bring out the full potential of them. What I'm wondering is though, is if older versions were worth more than newer ones as I've seen them go for ~$80 working on here. If age doesn't increase the value, then there's no reason not to buy new ones and sell the ones I own to someone else for parts since I don't know how to replace a cable and it'd take time learning.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 9
i'll take them off your hands if you don't want to fix the cable yourself and worried about driving them.  the old akg's usually go for the same price as current 55ohm 240 studio's(100 bucks) i only saw the DF models and the some of the sextett models sell for a good bit over the akg 600ohm monitors. there is like 5 different versions of the akg monitors so it can vary.

EDIT: pm sent op.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Get some Canare quad star cable and connectors make your own replacement.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 9
They are quite nice headphones.  [Listing to mine at this very minute].  I think the modern AKG fixed cabled headphone's cables will fit in without any modification, long as you have a soldering iron and some jeweler's screw drivers you should be good to go.  [K242HD, K272HD, K172HD cables]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back