$20 battery DAC "similar" to Zhaolu :)
Nov 20, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #91 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice and warm
smily_headphones1.gif

What would you think about using as a portable dac wirh a 12v battery? And how much of an improvement is compared to the chaintech av710?
Thanks

Nov 20, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #92 of 100
I haven't tried it as a portable dac, so i can't comment there. But compared to the chaintech, there is no competition, the dac in the box sounds far better. The chaintech is good and sounds better than the price i paid for it, but the dac in the box has better stereo separation and sounds warmer and less bright than the chaintech. I use both for different applications, so it all depends on what you want.

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #93 of 100
I had both the AV710 and the DAC-I-A-B. The AV710 was slightly better. The DAC-I-A-B had the stereotypical in your face cheap opamp sound. If you take a look at its construction (it is the size of a matchbox) you would realize right away that this is not a serious DAC. It may have some use if you didn't have AC but could still deal with the 12V battery.

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #94 of 100
Well, I have Prodigy 7.1 LT which is said to be better than the chaintech, but no by a large margin. Is it considerably more detailed? Does it have rolled off highs? I'm thinking about buying for both portable (pcdp) and home use (soundcard), in both cases with something like a go-vibe or similar amp. I listen to classical and woul be using it with IEMs an maybe some full sized cans at home, most likely IEMs.
Thanks.

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #95 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both the AV710 and the DAC-I-A-B. The AV710 was slightly better. The DAC-I-A-B had the stereotypical in your face cheap opamp sound. If you take a look at its construction (it is the size of a matchbox) you would realize right away that this is not a serious DAC. It may have some use if you didn't have AC but could still deal with the 12V battery.

So in your opinion I should stick to the Prodigy 7.1 LT (I use it's built in headamp out)?

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #96 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to disagree here. It all depends on system synergy imo. I used to own the zhaolu d1.3 and the dac in the box performs better in my system. The zhaolu was more airier(is this a word?) and has slightly better detail, but it was a little harsh in my system. Even though the dac in the box is small in its size, it performs big in stature. I have both chaintech and dac in the box atm, and notice that the dac in the box mates better with my equipment. It may be a cheap dac, but it can still perform with the big boys imo.

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #97 of 100
If I were to have two different computers sending signals into this DAC at the same time (one via optical and the other coax), what would happen? I'd like to share this between two computers that are right next to each other. Without a source select, however, I'm a bit hesitant to order one.

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #98 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiToast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were to have two different computers sending signals into this DAC at the same time (one via optical and the other coax), what would happen? I'd like to share this between two computers that are right next to each other. Without a source select, however, I'm a bit hesitant to order one.

the number crunchers have source selects

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #99 of 100
Thanks Soloz,
I got an email reply from DIYkits who told me that the DAC in Box prioritizes optical signals over coax if both are present. I ended buying a Number Cruncher though. I just wanted something cheap for work, so the Number Cruncher won out with lower price and a domestic seller.
600smile.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #100 of 100
I know I'm digging up a somewhat old thread but I just recieved my DAC in the box today and the first thing that suprised me is, wow this thing is small:

IMG_1094.JPG

I can't test it yet because I've only recieved 3 of my 4 items in my setup, the amplifier is missing. Plus my review would not be very educated given the fact that I am just now diving into the world of higher end headphones and my ears aren't properly trained. But I can post pics easy enough!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back