$20 battery DAC "similar" to Zhaolu :)
Jul 27, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #61 of 100
I thought this tidbit was pretty interesting. The Dac in the Box is actually called the DAC67 and can accept 24bit/192khz. It utilizes the cs8416 reciever chip which can accept dvd-a signals, sacd, and dsm signals as well. Here is the official website for this dac. http://www.shixingshiye.com/DAC/dac67.htm

Edit - i may purchase his battery pack that takes in 4 double A batteries. Interesting..

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #62 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
The Dac in the Box is actually called the DAC67 and can accept 24bit/192khz. It utilizes the cs8416 reciever chip which can accept dvd-a signals, sacd, and dsm signals as well. Here is the official website for this dac. http://www.shixingshiye.com/DAC/dac67.htm. . . . i may purchase his battery pack that takes in 4 double A batteries.

Really useful information, aznsensazian. Thanks for that. If you do decide to purchase the DAC and AA battery pack, then perhaps several of us in the States should engage in a group buy. If not, then perhaps I'll query Eddie as to the A-cells Anonymous option.

Here is the provisional Google translation of the official home page.

Here's the pack in question, which would push the DAC67-in-Box closer to portability:

DSC05528j.jpg

I intend to email the man in charge(ers), eddiewuhk@netvigator.com, about this post haste.

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #64 of 100
Bad news: I just spoke with Eddie. The AA pack will only power the DAC67 for a single hour. That's why he sells the unwieldy SLV battery charger, which is a fine solution for home use, but rather less so for an office and impossible for a flight.

Pity, that. The DAC67-in-Box looks teasingly portable.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #65 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
Bad news: I just spoke with Eddie. The AA pack will only power the DAC67 for a single hour. That's why he sells the unwieldy SLV battery charger, which is a fine solution for home use, but rather less so for an office and impossible for a flight.

Pity, that. The DAC67-in-Box looks teasingly portable.

The official page says 20 hours tho with 4 2000mAh AA's.

Quote:

直接直流电源高稳定高精密稳压供电模式,电源电压可在直流DC6V-DC10V自由变换,且均可正常稳定工作,整机电流仅100mA左右,视DAC解码芯片与IVC的电流定。 故具备极低的仅为1W左右的整机功耗(四节2000mA/h的5号1.5伏小电池可连续使用不小于20小时,真正的绿色标准)

Jul 27, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #66 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
Really useful information, aznsensazian. Thanks for that. If you do decide to purchase the DAC and AA battery pack, then perhaps several of us in the States should engage in a group buy. If not, then perhaps I'll query Eddie as to the A-cells Anonymous option.

Here is the provisional Google translation of the official home page.

Here's the pack in question, which would push the DAC67-in-Box closer to portability:

DSC05528j.jpg

I intend to email the man in charge(ers), eddiewuhk@netvigator.com, about this post haste.

Oh, i own the dac already and am going to do a dac shootout this weekend with the dac67 and zhaolu. The battery pack looks tempting and i might just go for it. The dac chip doesnt require that much power, so i think the battery pack will last longer than an hour. I think Eddie gave you some misguided info. We'll see though when i get it, ill report back on the results.

Jul 28, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #67 of 100
I emailed Eddie about this thoughts on the DAC in the box vs the Zhaolu. He says it sounds very similar but "is weak to drive headamp". What does this mean? The line-output will be very quiet?

He also speaks of a new DAC coming 4Aug.

Quote:

I will have a even better DAc list on 4 Aug .
It is better housing and better quality.
it contains remote control as for pre amp function.
it is using cs-8416 , pcm 1796 and is much hi-fi and musical than all my dac in my store.the sound stage is making with transistor and bass more rigid and tie .
I will have a prober head amp list at 4th Aug also .it is using opa with mosfect withg high current and can drive even high impedience headphone also.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #68 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
I emailed Eddie about this thoughts on the DAC in the box vs the Zhaolu. He says it sounds very similar but "is weak to drive headamp". What does this mean? The line-output will be very quiet?

He also speaks of a new DAC coming 4Aug.

I guess he means that its line output volume from the dac is not as high as the zhaolu, but i havent noticed this with mine. To be honest, it may have more volume output or at least equal to the output of that of my zhoalu. Im really liking this dac67 btw. Its just sooo smooth and has great stereo separation. More so than the zhoalu. It reminds me fondly of the micro dac ive listened to before.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #69 of 100
Quote:

I guess he means that its line output volume from the dac is not as high as the zhaolu, but i havent noticed this with mine. To be honest, it may have more volume output or at least equal to the output of that of my zhoalu. Im really liking this dac67 btw. Its just sooo smooth and has great stereo separation. More so than the zhoalu. It reminds me fondly of the micro dac ive listened to before.

Wow, so you like it more than the Zhaolu? That's saying a lot. Have you tried with the AC adaptor? Let me know, I'm reading to buy this for only 450HKD!

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #70 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
Wow, so you like it more than the Zhaolu? That's saying a lot. Have you tried with the AC adaptor? Let me know, I'm reading to buy this for only 450HKD!

Hold your horses bro, i never said i liked it more than my zhaolu. I just said it had to me better stereo separation and smoothness, but it compromises a little in the imaging and airness. Both dacs have its own special qualities that i really enjoy, so i like them both equally
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit - and this is with using the wallwart adaptor that it came with. Im sure it will sound even better will a battery pack.

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #71 of 100
Quote:

Hold your horses bro, i never said i liked it more than my zhaolu. I just said it had to me better stereo separation and smoothness, but it compromises a little in the imaging and airness. Both dacs have its own special qualities that i really enjoy, so i like them both equally
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit - and this is with using the wallwart adaptor that it came with. Im sure it will sound even better will a battery pack.

Also I think KevC is thinking of the D2.0 and you have the 1.3. I like to add to the DAC confusion even further
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #72 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by raylpc
The official page says 20 hours tho with 4 2000mAh AA's.

. . . . Which is rather odd, since Eddie rated the vast hulking motorcycle battery with clips featured on his DAC in Box site as getting eighteen hours. It sounds as if the "official page" referred to that battery, not the AA pack. After all, said page lists possible and theoretical applications for the DAC67 in great detail. A possible but ultimately impractical battery pack would fit in perfectly with the rest of the page's salmon-spawn hypotheses.

Also: Since both the "official" page and the purchasing site are maintained by Eddie, I'd expect his email to be fairly reliable on the subject.

Mind you, I'd love to be proven wrong, as that would make the DAC67 an extremely convenient solution for one's business orifice (and no, I'm not a streetwalker).

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #73 of 100
I ordered mine along with the Zhaolu from Eddie, no extra shipping. I don't have a battery, so I'm using it with the wallwart it came with. There's no on/off switch on the DAC, so it's powered all the time . . .

I suppose, with a battery, you'd have to disconnect one of the contacts from the supplied battery adapter or else have the DAC drawing power all the time, right?

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #74 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi-o
I ordered mine along with the Zhaolu from Eddie, no extra shipping. I don't have a battery, so I'm using it with the wallwart it came with. There's no on/off switch on the DAC, so it's powered all the time . . .

I suppose, with a battery, you'd have to disconnect one of the contacts from the supplied battery adapter or else have the DAC drawing power all the time, right?

Or just unplug it. Might be easier.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #75 of 100
I'm really disappointed that I just bought the Fubar II. No, not that it's not good. I haven't heard it with my headphones yet, but just heard it through a consumer receiver and nice speakers (Dynaaudio).. but my ears were ringing from a rock concert so I have no conclusive thoughts.

But for CHEAPER than the Fubar, the DAC In a Box also does 24/96 (or is it 192?). Not that I have any music encoded at that depth... it suggests that it's better sounding.

I am considering picking it up aswell and maybe selling the Fubar
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back