2 Broken RE2's, What am i doing wrong?
Jul 7, 2009 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RubberDucky451

New Head-Fier
So around a year ago i purchased a set of head direct RE2s, about a month ago the left earbud ceased to work. I returned them and received a replacement, today i was using new pair and the left earbud gave out again. So my questions are...

-Are the RE2s known for doing this?
-Should i buy a new pair of RE0 even with the terrible history with my RE2s?

Thanks for your help :]

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 10
What is the QC record with these? Seems like I have seen more than a few problems for a low volume, fringe company. I would like to try the RE0's, and despite the good CS reputation, do not want to get involved with sketchy QC. Can any "longer term" users provide feedback?

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberDucky451 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So around a year ago i purchased a set of head direct RE2s, about a month ago the left earbud ceased to work. I returned them and received a replacement, today i was using new pair and the left earbud gave out again. So my questions are...

-Are the RE2s known for doing this?
-Should i buy a new pair of RE0 even with the terrible history with my RE2s?

Thanks for your help :]

In my (not very wide) experience with the RE2, this occurs when you put stress on the cord, which can break some of the connection between the 3.5mm plug and the cord. If this is the case, the solution is to cut off the plug, strip a bit off the wires, and solder on a new 3.5mm plug.

You can get some idea by pulling off the sleeve on the 3.5mm plug and having a look.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 10
Own both RE0, 1, and 2 since they were released and all of them have seen some heavy use. I still use RE1 and RE2 occasionally for reviewing and comparison. As for RE0, it is my main on-the-go IEM since I first got it. Neither of them have any problem so far. That said, I am a fairly careful user.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by higbvuyb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my (not very wide) experience with the RE2, this occurs when you put stress on the cord, which can break some of the connection between the 3.5mm plug and the cord. If this is the case, the solution is to cut off the plug, strip a bit off the wires, and solder on a new 3.5mm plug.

You can get some idea by pulling off the sleeve on the 3.5mm plug and having a look.

This actually sounds pretty reasonable. The first time they broke was when i was walking quite fast, it seemed like there would be have been a bit of stress when they gave out. In both cases the left would go out then come back for about a half second then "fizzle" out.

Ah, i just pulled off the sleeve there seems to be wires sticking out of the blue wire which i assume is the left headphone wire? (No experience here) I wish i would have done this to my older headphones then it would be much easier to draw an accurate conclusion.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 10
I agree with the idea that you're putting stress on the cord. This is the most common reason for cable failure. You can't yank the cord on an IEM any more than you can do so with an electrical cord. In fact, IEM cords are more high-maintenance in that respect. Pull from the shell, not from the cord.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 10
Well to add to this thread, My RE2 barely have like a month or so of using when Walking. I carry my player at a belt buckle + used the t-shirt clip to ensure no stress was being put on the cable.

Today I was sitting at the computer and suddenly the right one stopped working. I should note though I was very very carefull taking care of the earbuds and cable, because i've had many IEM ruin because of that. So my take is their QC is maybe slacking... Thankfully Fang Bian replies to emails within 5 minutes most of the time and said send 'em in for a replacement.
That being said I was in love with how the RE2 sounded paired with my CZV:M. And in the future i'd like to upgrade to RE1 and RE0 + the amping world. BUT it's these smalls quality issues that seem to be going around that MIGHT steer me in another direction in the future..
Anyway, let's see how the replacement pair holds up and hopefully i'll get those new shoelace cables!

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 10
There are ways to prevent the cord problem. Wearing them over-the-ear, especially with some cable guides, really reduces the stress on the cord connections. I also never yank on the cord to pull IEMs out as the seal can be quite strong, especially with silicone tips.

At home, the IEMs are stored in small boxes (usually their own) with all of their accessories. When on the go but not in use, my primary IEMs stay in my (excellent) Soundmagic carrying case. Havent had any problems yet with the dozen or so that I own.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well to add to this thread, My RE2 barely have like a month or so of using when Walking. I carry my player at a belt buckle + used the t-shirt clip to ensure no stress was being put on the cable.

Today I was sitting at the computer and suddenly the right one stopped working. I should note though I was very very carefull taking care of the earbuds and cable, because i've had many IEM ruin because of that. So my take is their QC is maybe slacking... Thankfully Fang Bian replies to emails within 5 minutes most of the time and said send 'em in for a replacement.
That being said I was in love with how the RE2 sounded paired with my CZV:M. And in the future i'd like to upgrade to RE1 and RE0 + the amping world. BUT it's these smalls quality issues that seem to be going around that MIGHT steer me in another direction in the future..
Anyway, let's see how the replacement pair holds up and hopefully i'll get those new shoelace cables!

I too was also using care. I just ordered a pair of RE0s I'll tell you how the cables fare.

Head direct has a good return policy. I do hope you have better luck with your second pair, or atleast better than i did.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are ways to prevent the cord problem. Wearing them over-the-ear, especially with some cable guides, really reduces the stress on the cord connections. I also never yank on the cord to pull IEMs out as the seal can be quite strong, especially with silicone tips.

At home, the IEMs are stored in small boxes (usually their own) with all of their accessories. When on the go but not in use, my primary IEMs stay in my (excellent) Soundmagic carrying case. Havent had any problems yet with the dozen or so that I own.

Well I really don't think I put stress on the cable at all. I never yanked the IEM from my ears precisely because of the seal, I would grap the iem, slightly turn and twist it and pluck it out. In any case I wasn't even moving when the right bud stopped working, I was sitting at my desk in front of my computer!

Quote:

I too was also using care. I just ordered a pair of RE0s I'll tell you how the cables fare.

Head direct has a good return policy. I do hope you have better luck with your second pair, or atleast better than i did.

Good luck to you too! Yeah Fang is really good with customer service, Just hope the next pair of REs hold up :S
To be honest I really don't think it's our fault, as i've read in several threads here in head-fi the same problem with the REs and yet there's also lots who say they've had 'em for 1year+ without any problem, so IMO it's just QC slacking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back