2 amps on the way, anymore i should look into?
Mar 30, 2007 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

legbone

100+ Head-Fier
i have a little dot micro-tube on the way from david and i am on the waiting list for a hornet from mr samuels. i am thinking about picking up a gilmore lite with a dedicated power supply and a darkvoice 336i. will this cover all of my bases (once i figure out what fracken tubes to get for the darkvoice)? any other suggestions are welcome.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 10
your bases cannot be covered until you delve into electrostats
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 10
please, please do not mention that word again. i am completely ignorant when it comes to electrostats (which means bliss to my wallet!) and i really don't want to know. please do not inform me or guide me down that path. my wallet begs you.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 10
How about a dynahi instead of that gilmore lite (dynalo)?

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 10
i am not capable of diy. if my research is correct this is a do-it-yourself project. i know enough about electronic engineering to be dangerous. i would waste a lot of time and money just to smoke test the thing.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by legbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a little dot micro-tube on the way from david and i am on the waiting list for a hornet from mr samuels. i am thinking about picking up a gilmore lite with a dedicated power supply and a darkvoice 336i. will this cover all of my bases (once i figure out what fracken tubes to get for the darkvoice)? any other suggestions are welcome.

All i can say is you're crazy.

You will spend x2 of what you've spent right now on tube rolling and cable upgrades. Then, you will spend another x2 of that amount on new headphones to match your new amps. After that, you will want to spend x2 on dedicated DACs to complete your links. So your wallet will be short of the amount of money you have spent times 2 to the power of 3.

biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 10
oh well, i guess i'm crazy. the recabling bug has not bit me. also cans are not a problem. the more the better. also i don't think i need a dac. my zune is ok, my toshiba hd-a1 seems to do just fine as a cd player (do some research, there is some serious audiophile equipment in that puppy), and i am saving for an apollo rega. so screw it, i need whatever is necessary to cover all bases. now, tube rolling, that could be another story
icon10.gif

btw, i am just kidding (well mostly), which if i'm not mistaken, you were too.

biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 10
remember, i don't have one yet either. my micro-tube is in the mail and i am on the waiting list for the hornet. but let me tell ya, for some reason the gilmore lite is calling my name.

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Don't be afraid of DIY. The PCB-based DIY amps are easy to put together. If you head over to:

http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/

You can get Dynalo boards for $10 each and build your own Gilmore Lite for about 1/3 the price. Even better, Dan put together an excellent build guide for the Dynalo. Take an evening or two, follow it carefully, and you'll get the Gilmore Lite you're wanting on the cheap. If you use the Elpac power supply, you won't smoke it. It might not work on initial powerup, but at least you won't make an error in the power supply and fry it.

As for other amps, I suggest having OTL, push-pull and single-ended tube amps on hand. Try each flavor! You'll also need a tube/solid state hybrid, like a Melos or Millett Hybrid. Then, you'll be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back