2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter?
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

seanwee

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering if I could convert a 2.5mm balanced output to a 3.5mm se output.

If I could, will it give me more driving power? I asked a local audio store and they said it will simply convert the 2.5mm balanced output to a 3.5mm se output without increasing the output.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 36
I don't quite understand the topic and your content question.

In the same DAP with both SE and BAL, balanced port will give double power. So the answer is no, re-terminating the balanced plug to single end plug will not give any more driving power.

Also, you cannot and never use 2.5 male to 3.5 female adapter to convert 3.5 SE plug into 2.5 BAL port, it will cause damage either to your earphone or to AMP module.

Female > Male
BAL > BAL is ok
SE > SE is ok
BAL > SE is OK
SE > BAL is Not OK

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 36
In the same DAP with both SE and BAL, balanced port will give double power. So the answer is no, converting it to single end will not give any more driving power.
Why won't converting the balanced port to single end give double power if the balanced port gives double power?

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 36
Why won't converting the balanced port to single end give double power if the balanced port gives double power?

Ok I misunderstand your sentence. I thought you mean changing 2.5 mm cable to 3.5 mm AMP port so I edit my post to explain it. Please read it again.

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 36

In the same DAP with both SE and BAL, balanced port will give double power. So the answer is no, re-terminating the balanced plug to single end plug will not give any more driving power.

Also, you cannot and never use 2.5 male to 3.5 female adapter to convert 3.5 SE plug into 2.5 BAL port, it will cause damage either to your earphone or to AMP module.

Female > Male
BAL > BAL is ok
SE > SE is ok
BAL > SE is OK
SE > BAL is Not OK
So this is not OK?
IMG_20180403_160500.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180403_154010.png
    IMG_20180403_154010.png
    353 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 36
Is this SE to balanced?

It depends on definition/perspective.

Some people might say "FEMALE" to "MALE". Other might mean "MALE" to "FEMALE"

I am into first type. so this is 2.5 balance to 3.5 se to me.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 36

Female > Male
BAL > BAL is ok
SE > SE is ok
BAL > SE is OK
SE > BAL is Not OK

Okay so I wanted to adapt the 2.5mm balanced output of my iBasso DC01 with an adapter to use it with my other headphones which have fixed 3.5mm cables. It makes sence that shorting out anything is not a really good idea of course! I ordered this adapter here:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/3296...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_53

And all the reviews are very positive and many people use it for the exact same purpose, using their 3.5mm headphones with balanced DAP outputs. So does this adapter do something different maybe? Should I try it? Or would I risk frying something? I'd imagine someone give it a bad rating if it fried his DAP or phones.
Thanks for any advice!

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 36
Okay so I wanted to adapt the 2.5mm balanced output of my iBasso DC01 with an adapter to use it with my other headphones which have fixed 3.5mm cables. It makes sence that shorting out anything is not a really good idea of course! I ordered this adapter here:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/3296...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_53

And all the reviews are very positive and many people use it for the exact same purpose, using their 3.5mm headphones with balanced DAP outputs. So does this adapter do something different maybe? Should I try it? Or would I risk frying something? I'd imagine someone give it a bad rating if it fried his DAP or phones.
Thanks for any advice!

It might worth the risk. Recently, ranko can do ground from L- and R- in balanced.

From the feedback, i think it might be possible.

However I recommend ranko as link below.because I tested it.

THB 851.52 | RANKO 2.5mm Balance to 3.5mm Stereo Adapter Connector Headphone Plug Converter for Hifi Audio Mobile Phone MP3 MP4 Music Player
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/csSZ5Ocs

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 36
It might worth the risk. Recently, ranko can do ground from L- and R- in balanced.

However I recommend ranko as link below.because I tested it.

Okay so you tested it and everything works fine? Because in your earlier post you said that it can't be done with a very logical explanation. I really don't wanna fry the DC01 and even less some very expensive headphones. Just double checking, I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to this :D

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 36

Female > Male
BAL > BAL is ok
SE > SE is ok
BAL > SE is OK
SE > BAL is Not OK
That seems off/backwards per the “Female > Male” heading.. transposed incorrectly? Usually the AMP has the F socket..

A 2.5mm BAL (M, cable) can adapt to a 3.5mm SE (F, AMP output) just fine. It’s just a Y split to two isolated transducers.

However, I suspect that it takes more than “just a wire” go BAL (F, AMP output) to Stereo SE (M, cable) as in the primitive form that effectively feeds each BAL channel into each other.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 36
Okay so you tested it and everything works fine? Because in your earlier post you said that it can't be done with a very logical explanation. I really don't wanna fry the DC01 and even less some very expensive headphones. Just double checking, I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to this :D

Thats why I say "recently". Because in 2018, they cant do.

FB_IMG_1564704243225.jpg

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 36
That seems off/backwards per the “Female > Male” heading.. transposed incorrectly? Usually the AMP has the F socket..

A 2.5mm BAL (M, cable) can adapt to a 3.5mm SE (F, AMP output) just fine. It’s just a Y split to two isolated transducers.

However, I suspect that it takes more than “just a wire” go BAL (F, AMP output) to Stereo SE (M, cable) as in the primitive form that effectively feeds each BAL channel into each other.

That is how difference of the way we say for adapter.

In Thailand, most people buy adapter because they have cable with different plugs. So they need adapter to use with DAP. Thai people will start stating from Female (of adapter) to Male (of adapter) typically. Because they concern about cable first, not DAP.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 36
NOTE:

1) You can plug any balanced wired headphone to single-ended (SE) source using an adapter. The adapter will effectively convert the balanced wiring on the headphone back to single-ended wiring, so it becomes SE headphone to SE source.

2) You SHOULD NOT plug a single-ended headphone to a balanced source using an adapter. The adapter in this case will short-circuit the balanced output in the source. It might seem to work in the short run, but you are on borrowed time as you are slowly damaging the balanced circuit on your source and can lead to a burn out of the circuit.

HTB1H79BX0fvK1RjSszhq6AcGFXay.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back