1MORE Announces New Quad Driver IEM @ CES 2017
Mar 25, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #91 of 567
I have a large ear canal and have no problems.  I can see where others may have an issue with that bore size.  This is definitely a case of try before you buy or make sure there is a good return policy.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #92 of 567
Thank you for posting the pictures. It's a no go for me. My small ear canals makes it hard to use IEMs with large nozzles or off angles.

​Just out of interest, what IEMs can you actually use? I don't suffer with small ear canals (mine are probably about as wide as you can get without walking around with buckets carved out of the side of my head!) but my girlfriend always struggles with any of my gear to get them to fit as she has very small canals, so just wondering if there was anything you can recommend? feel free to PM me in order to avoid taking this thread off topic if that's easier (and you don't mind responding, of course!).

On a related note, am very tempted to pick up a pair now they are hitting the shelves just to see if the DLC driver in the Quad is anything remotely like the DLC driver used in the Vega in terms of speed and overall presence (I know they are massively far apart in price so not expecting too much similarity) - anyone got any thoughts on that, as the Campfire guys hang their hat on the new driver tech as one of the main reasons for the sound of the Vega so would be very keen to see what the tuning guys at 1More have come up with if the basic tech is similar...

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #94 of 567
I'm using XDuoo X10 which has neutral bass and I don't think quads will suit the sound signature overall reading the first impressions here. But I also feel if there's a dynamic driver for the bass, there are chances that the sound will change with burn in. Hopefully will get better results of bass after burn in so that I can hit the BUY NOW button.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #95 of 567
So I have spent about 10 minutes now listening to the quads....
They have a completely different sound signature than the triples.

There is less bass on the bottom for sure, a bit more sub bass. Its more flat than the triples for sure.
The upper range is more refined and the mid range is more forward compared to the triples.

Edit:
So its been about an hour now, have tried out a bit of rap, alot of Jazz and some Classical and they really are pretty flat across the boards. Not as "fun" for rap especially with the reduced lower end bass, but Jazz and Classical sounds nice.

I'm still up in the air on deciding if I "like" it as much as the triples. But in sound quality they deliver for sure. The build quality is also better, the cable is nicer and has basically 0 microphonics unlike the triple...

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #96 of 567
  Since the bore sizes are becoming a main concern here, I uploaded some images comparing the triple and the quads.

Hmmm... Considering that the Triples give a fairly shallow fit and the nozzle on the Quads is noticeably shorter, I'd expect the Quads to give a really shallow fit - which seems like it would make getting a good seal a major challenge. Makes me hesitant to take the (shallow) plunge...

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #97 of 567

Hmmm... Considering that the Triples give a fairly shallow fit and the nozzle on the Quads is noticeably shorter, I'd expect the Quads to give a really shallow fit - which seems like it would make getting a good seal a major challenge. Makes me hesitant to take the (shallow) plunge...

The fit is a bit more shallow, but not really noticeable.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #98 of 567
  So I have spent about 10 minutes now listening to the quads....
They have a completely different sound signature than the triples.

There is less bass on the bottom for sure, a bit more sub bass. Its more flat than the triples for sure.
The upper range is more refined and the mid range is more forward compared to the triples.

Edit:
So its been about an hour now, have tried out a bit of rap, alot of Jazz and some Classical and they really are pretty flat across the boards. Not as "fun" for rap especially with the reduced lower end bass, but Jazz and Classical sounds nice.

I'm still up in the air on deciding if I "like" it as much as the triples. But in sound quality they deliver for sure. The build quality is also better, the cable is nicer and has basically 0 microphonics unlike the triple...

Hello All,

Longtime lurker who has enjoyed reading this forum. I felt compelled to finally join and give my two cents here...

So I received my quads early like a few others here on the forum. I have to say I was a little disappointed at first. I kinda feel exactly like Jimster at this point.

I have been going back and forth with the Triples and Quads on my LG V20, iPhone 7 Plus, and 2016 Macbook Pro most of the day and night and here are my impressions.

The Quads seem to definitely have a different sound signature compared to the Triples. Definitely more flat. The bass seems refined but more subdued, which I can deal with. What I am struggling to like is how the vocals seem more in the background. The sound stage also seems to be slightly smaller. I feel like these are trying to be true reference earbuds but I'm scratching my head about the vocals. 

The fit seems to be better though. The poster who was worried about the size difference should let that go. These are actually more comfortable and feel the size less that the Triples. The cabling and build quality is much better than the Triples as well.

All in all the build quality is great, fit is excellent, but the sound is definitely not as lively as the Triples. If you like a "fun" sound and are happy with the Triples, then save your 200 and wait for an update to the Triples or go somewhere else. Where the Triples were an incredible value at less than 100, the Quads seem to average for their price range.

I hope that helps some people on the fence.

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #99 of 567
Hmm, I hope that they will change a bit more after some more burn-in. :s
If hopes they are a little bis kickier and deeper as the triple.. But if they arent, I have to search for another alternative.
The T20 was great, but I dont really like the stiffness of the cable in the "around ear" area..

A german site had a review for the Quads (you can read it here: https://www.inearkopfhoerer-tests.de/testberichte/1more-quad-driver-in-ear-kopfhoerer-im-test/)

and they wrote about the sound:

(roughly translated)

Stage and Resolution:

The First thing what we noticed when we tried them, how great deep they go and how wide the stage of the Quad is. In comparison with the Triple, the Quad is a bit better and you can hear through better. Even though there are BA Driver, you can still use a normal smartphone to drive them, but who wants to get the full experience should get a high-res-player like the FiiO X3.

Bass:
The Bass is one of the Highlights of the Quad, because it is very deep and has a nice mid-bass hump, which is perfectly tuned. Even though the In-Ear Headphone is pretty bassy, the bass has the right amount of body/fullness and doesnt bleed into other frequencies. The Bass has a high impact, which causes to make bassy tracks an artwork for your ears. The Bass sounds very full bodied, without going over borders to be too bassy.

Mids:
The Mids are present and still dont get lost because of the bass emphasis. Due to this the vocals and singers are well presented, exactly how they should be. BA-like the music is played precise and fast. Instruments are well seperated from each other and have a very good resolution. Voices are very near to the head, so you get the feeling you are in front of the stage. The Mids are all in all sound very real and clean.

Highs:
Exactly like the bass, the highs are also a little bit raised, but not as strong. They have a good brilliance and are in the superhigh frequency area very pleasing and full, which might due to the extra BA-Driver which is only for these made. Whats instantly noticeable is, there arent any sharp peaks, which tend to get sibilant. Thanks to the high resolution, the peaks are crystal clear

(C) www.inearkopfhoerer-tests.de/testberichte/1more-quad-driver-in-ear-kopfhoerer-im-test/

Maybe this is only after a longer period of burn in time. We will see, but reading two different people, which both say the bass is more flat, arent good news.. for me atleast..

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #100 of 567

The ear tips don't slide down all the way unlike the triple, so the fit is only slightly more shallow. For me, I have to use bigger ear tips than when I did for the triple to get a better seal though. I think it really depends on the person. My right ear in particular is difficult due to my TMJ (jaw pain, swelling), which is where most of my trouble is coming from.

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #102 of 567
Hello All,

Longtime lurker who has enjoyed reading this forum. I felt compelled to finally join and give my two cents here...

So I received my quads early like a few others here on the forum. I have to say I was a little disappointed at first. I kinda feel exactly like Jimster at this point.

I have been going back and forth with the Triples and Quads on my LG V20, iPhone 7 Plus, and 2016 Macbook Pro most of the day and night and here are my impressions.

The Quads seem to definitely have a different sound signature compared to the Triples. Definitely more flat. The bass seems refined but more subdued, which I can deal with. What I am struggling to like is how the vocals seem more in the background. The sound stage also seems to be slightly smaller. I feel like these are trying to be true reference earbuds but I'm scratching my head about the vocals. 

The fit seems to be better though. The poster who was worried about the size difference should let that go. These are actually more comfortable and feel the size less that the Triples. The cabling and build quality is much better than the Triples as well.

All in all the build quality is great, fit is excellent, but the sound is definitely not as lively as the Triples. If you like a "fun" sound and are happy with the Triples, then save your 200 and wait for an update to the Triples or go somewhere else. Where the Triples were an incredible value at less than 100, the Quads seem to average for their price range.

I hope that helps some people on the fence.

You hit the nail on the head.
I'm letting my wife test them now to see what she thinks.
I'm interested to see someone put them on one of those frequency tester systems to see their response.

I haven't listened to much music with lyrics yet so I can't say much about the vocals. I noticed something similar in some of the rap tracks but I think it's due to the slightly subdued bass especially in Rap where the voices are deeper.
I haven't tried female vocalists yet or men with higher voices.

I listened to them some more today (a few hours) and the sound is surely not as fun as the triples.
I do really think they are going for a reference sound.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #103 of 567
So far i am really impressed by them. Instrument separation is top notch, nothing seems recessed or boosted. The fast pace of the BA's and diamond-driver is amazing in creating a atmosphere of music with a lot of blackness between instruments and notes. One thing that really surprised me, is that even though i imagined them to be very comfortable they are even MORE comfortable. They are lightweight and built very robust. Will create more impressions after i listened to them for a week or so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back