1k$ balanced DAC with USB input?
Jan 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
supposedly the da100 and da220 sounded practically the same which gives the advantage to the da100 price-wise, although i have not heard either. ben diss, i'm curious to hear which one you picked. the dac3, although that will probably spoil your review?

Yea, but that shouldn't be a surprise based on the price. It'll probably be another week or so before I post as I've got some more detailed listening to do first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is wrong with the DAC1 ?
I think a lot of guys here still love it and think it is one great DAC

Some people like bright systems too. I think it's a flavor preference thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check this Stello DA220 out that is for sale right now but I am sure not for long:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/st...9/#post5264745

That's a great deal. I think he's priced about $75 low.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #19 of 59
get this. i bet it sounds pretty good.
very_evil_smiley.gif

AudiogoN ForSale: Esoteric d-05 32 bit akm dac

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i second the PS Audio DLIII. much smoother and fuller sounding than the dac1 and it packs a punch. although with the tube amp and hd650 balancing out the dac1, you shouldn't have much problem with the harshness.

alwayshungry, how do you like the Valab NOS dac vs the the DLIII?

I think the Valab is a good DAC for the money but it's a tough comparison against the DLIII. I find that the Valab has a lighter crunchier sound whereas the DLIII has a richer, smoother sound and when comparing dynamics (notably in mids and lows) it is no contest.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 59
stello and belcanto over dac1 for sure. also check out the apogee minime to me the dac 1 not only sounds a bit thin, but it also sounds a bit lifeless and brittle, maybe the tubes would do it some good, but I dont think it would be enough to take it over the others

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said above, some comments that it sounds pretty thin and too flat, which is not my taste.

I use the DacMagic too, via USB, into my own MK VI, into both balanced AD2K's and HD650's... i guess great minds get like-rigs
beerchug.gif

In any case, I'm not entirely sure a DAC upgrade is what you really need. Admittedly I cannot comment on the DAC1, since I have only heard it in someone else's rig (and not via usb). However, when I found our rigs to be a bit analytical for my tastes, particularly in vocal jazz music, I just did some tube rolling in the LD, and found that hit the spot.

Our output tubes really are good enough, I feel like I may have wasted money going for Tungsol's. To put it short (since I'll probably write up a very detailed review one of these days), this seemingly huge upgrade improved soundstage only to a small degree, and didnt really add any tube warmth, and both bass extension and oomph seemed to remain constant. However when I updated the driver tubes first to Sylvania 6SL7GT's, and then to my current ECC35's (which are sadly not NOS, as that was way out of budget), i almost want to say that the sound signature got warmer, livelier, and yet still even somewhat more detailed in the mid-range - especially with the Sennheisers.

Just throwing this out there. I too know what a thrill a major overhaul is, and it is difficult for me to step back from the upgrade bug as well. But in this rig, I'm almost convinced that there is no better source than the DacMagic, with its wonderful detail and transients. Smoothing out the sound later in the chain worked like a charm for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #24 of 59
+1 for the PS Audio DLIII.

i have a modded one in my setup. i couldn't believe what a difference it made when i added it. very smooth, 3D and splendiferous.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... i guess great minds get like-rigs
beerchug.gif

Somehow I think so
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In any case, I'm not entirely sure a DAC upgrade is what you really need. Admittedly I cannot comment on the DAC1, since I have only heard it in someone else's rig (and not via usb). However, when I found our rigs to be a bit analytical for my tastes, particularly in vocal jazz music, I just did some tube rolling in the LD, and found that hit the spot.

Our output tubes really are good enough, I feel like I may have wasted money going for Tungsol's. To put it short (since I'll probably write up a very detailed review one of these days), this seemingly huge upgrade improved soundstage only to a small degree, and didnt really add any tube warmth, and both bass extension and oomph seemed to remain constant. However when I updated the driver tubes first to Sylvania 6SL7GT's, and then to my current ECC35's (which are sadly not NOS, as that was way out of budget), i almost want to say that the sound signature got warmer, livelier, and yet still even somewhat more detailed in the mid-range - especially with the Sennheisers.

What's your TungSol? 5998? I'm waiting for them and trying to grasp a pair of NOS ECC35.

I think you and I have the same preference, warm, smooth sound. I do hate stuffs like "analytical, transparent and silky highs".

@Dannie: Just wonder if it has balanced output and USB input? Actually, I didn't pay much attention to it.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #27 of 59
Funny. My Tungsol 5998's made a big difference, but the RCA 6SL7GT's didn't really do anything. Maybe I'll try the Mullard ECC35.

Anyway, with the MK VI you really can tell the difference in a DAC. The difference between the Stello and Bel Canto is instantly noticable with the MK VI and 650's, while making the same comparison in my speaker rig (B&W 803D's) was a more subtle change. I'll be posting my full review in a couple of days.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #29 of 59
Lil' Knight, I have the Valab as well. It has USB input but does not have balanced outputs. I like the Valab a lot, but I am in search of a balanced output DAC, preferably NOS.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your TungSol? 5998? I'm waiting for them and trying to grasp a pair of NOS ECC35.

I think you and I have the same preference, warm, smooth sound. I do hate stuffs like "analytical, transparent and silky highs".

yeah, 5998's with black plates. my tastes are tough to please. I enjoy smoothness, but can't stand losing much detail, as I find sound layering to be mandatory. it's a never-ending process
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny. My Tungsol 5998's made a big difference, but the RCA 6SL7GT's didn't really do anything. Maybe I'll try the Mullard ECC35.

Anyway, with the MK VI you really can tell the difference in a DAC. The difference between the Stello and Bel Canto is instantly noticable with the MK VI and 650's, while making the same comparison in my speaker rig (B&W 803D's) was a more subtle change. I'll be posting my full review in a couple of days.

that's fascinating. i can't wait to read your review, as an updated source is definitely the next upgrade id be looking at. coming from an emu1212m to a DacMagic, i felt that i had found perfect synergy with a highly detailed and analytical DAC, which could then be smoothed out later. this should be fun

of course, you've just signed away your right to restful sleep: any night now, my girlfriend may slit your thoat
wink.gif
she hates this expensive habit
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back