1k$ balanced DAC with USB input?
Jan 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Tempted to get one and add it to the review. Can anyone comment on the difference between the Stage III and Stage IV mods?

the L4 mod, as far as I'm aware, is the same as the L3, with the addition of a balanced coaxial input.

don't know how much of a difference that makes in the overall sound, but the general consensus is that best bang-for-buck is with the L3.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #47 of 59
There's a b-stock DLIII right now @699$.
Used DAC1 usb often goes for 950-1000$. Look like it's difficult to decide
frown.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a b-stock DLIII right now @699$.
Used DAC1 usb often goes for 950-1000$. Look like it's difficult to decide
frown.gif

DAC1 meaning the Benchmark? the DLIII has a different sound than the DAC1... i find the DAC1, while an excellent DAC, to be very clinical sounding, with a slightly sharp high end. the DLIII is smoother and richer, with more "groove."

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #50 of 59
If you have a tubey sounding amp, the harshness of the DAC1 will be contrasted with the warm sound of the tube amp and what you'll hear is a fairly balanced sound. I used DAC1>Cayin HA-1A for quite a while and was very satisfied with the sound.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #51 of 59
From what I have read the dac1 is harsh but with a tube amp it can tone it down a bit. would this still apply with a millett hybrid max?

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_SOURCE41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have read the dac1 is harsh but with a tube amp it can tone it down a bit. would this still apply with a millett hybrid max?

i'm not familiar with the millet max but considering that it's a hybrid i'm guessing it won't be very 'tubey' in sound. and how much is enough to tone down the 'harshness' of the dac1 for your taste is impossible to say. you might not even find the dac1 harsh to begin with.

i just think buying a component hoping to cover up its 'shortcomings' with another component is flawed thinking. why not buy something that has the sound you're looking for in the first place. it's a little different if for example you already own a tube amp and find it a little too tubey for your taste. then you can either get rid of it or try buying a dryer sounding source or headphones to balance it out.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #53 of 59
Eh, at the $1000 price point, you'll still have flaws. You pick the characteristics you like, and find gear to compensate for the characteristics you don't.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #55 of 59
I've finally decided to go with the DAC1 usb.
Hopefully its harsh sound will make some synergy with my tube amp.
Another thing I like is its headphone amp so that I can temporarily use to drive my SE phones
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll sell both my DacMagic and P51 for the DAC1. This gonna make me starving again.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Another thing I like is its headphone amp so that I can temporarily use to drive my SE phones
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll sell both my DacMagic and P51 for the DAC1. This gonna make me starving again.

I'm interested to hear your take on the combo - This is OT, but have any of you Little Dot MK6 user's posted reviews/impressions?

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

enjoy! it's got a lot of fans, so i'm sure you'll be pleased.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

At least you have your priorities straight. Looking forward to your impressions!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back