1964 EARS V6 Thread
Sep 4, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #768 of 931
Anyone have any experience with the soft canals compared to non soft canals?
I put in an order this weekend for V6-Stage's with soft canals. I figured they would be similar to the well reviewed ES5. Here on head-fi there is a review by Joshua Chew who had his ES5 reshelled by 1964 and he stated the vinyl soft canals are exactly the same as Westone.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #769 of 931
Sep 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #770 of 931
Just got the V6 demos today and they sound great!  They are definitely a reference pair of IEMs with a decent sound stage, though I wish there was a bit better instrument separation.  However, at this point, if I want better I'd have to go out and buy a pair of the JH13s which I really, really want to but I can't justify that price for "casual" listening with a mediocre DAC/AMP. The bass reproduction is definitely quick and lean with the mids being a bit out shined by the highs but far from sibilant.     

That being said, the difference between the V6s is not worth dropping double the price for a pair of JH IEMs however, I do like a more fun sound so I'm opting for the V6-Stages which I've just placed an order for and will be sending over my impressions to them tomorrow.  I'm super excited for having a pair of IEMs again after having my TF10s get trashed.    Compared to the TF10s, the separation is definitely a lot better along with the sound stage; same goes for reproduction.  Looking forward to picking up a pair of the V6-stages in translucent olive with teak wood!

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #771 of 931

Just got the V6 demos today and they sound great!  They are definitely a reference pair of IEMs with a decent sound stage, though I wish there was a bit better instrument separation.  However, at this point, if I want better I'd have to go out and buy a pair of the JH13s which I really, really want to but I can't justify that price for "casual" listening with a mediocre DAC/AMP. The bass reproduction is definitely quick and lean with the mids being a bit out shined by the highs but far from sibilant.     

That being said, the difference between the V6s is not worth dropping double the price for a pair of JH IEMs however, I do like a more fun sound so I'm opting for the V6-Stages which I've just placed an order for and will be sending over my impressions to them tomorrow.  I'm super excited for having a pair of IEMs again after having my TF10s get trashed.    Compared to the TF10s, the separation is definitely a lot better along with the sound stage; same goes for reproduction.  Looking forward to picking up a pair of the V6-stages in translucent olive with teak wood!

How did you find the V6's midrange tonality & positioning? :

Is it positioned forward.. or recessed (relative to the bass & treble) ?
Does it lean to the warm, full, lush side.. or is it more crisp, airy, thin ?

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #772 of 931
Its not recessed and not too forward. If I have to put it, I'd say its perfectly positioned. Its towards the warm smooth lush side with some air and crisp.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #776 of 931
Its not recessed and not too forward. If I have to put it, I'd say its perfectly positioned. Its towards the warm smooth lush side with some air and crisp.

I agree!

Still trying to find out how the V6-s will be different besides more bass (which is not a bad thing to my ears).

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #778 of 931
Huzzah!  Just got my V6-Stages (http://imgur.com/a/bonFE) today and I'm pretty happy with them.  Here's a quick and dirty review of them:

"After spending a month or so looking to replace my TF10s, I thought about picking up the UE900s but they seemed to be eh and started looking into higher end universals which ultimately placed me into lower-end CIEMs. I demoed the JH lines of CIEMs along with 1964 Ears. I would say hands down, the JH line is definitely better than 1964 Ears, but my ears weren't able to justify cost of JH16s for the marginal difference between the V6s.

Overall, the soundstage is great as there is definitely separation of instruments with what feels like a 3D soundstage. It's hard to describe but it's definitely something I haven't heard in universal IEMs before; feels like it's centering in my head and flowing out to the ears with peaks inbetween where as I find most IEMs to balance squarely in the center.  It seems a bit artificial in that there are specific segments to the soundstage, but it's not a bad thing?  If I had to tweak them a bit more, it would be nice if it was a bit more blended.

The bass is definitely present compared to the V6, but not as much as the JH16. (In terms of quality/oomph versus just quantity). I would say the bass is more responsive than the TF10s as well. Mids are certainly more present and forward, but they don't overpower the highs and bass. The highs, I am very surprised on, as they're pretty bright for what the V6-Stage should be; just under the point of sibilance for me which I'm not a huge fan of. (Mostly in the 6K/12K range) I've emailed 1964 Ears asking about this for more information which they'll hopefully get back to me about. Traditionally, I've always appreciated a darker high so this may just be shell shock and will need to ease myself into it via EQ.

Quality-wise, no bubbles in the mold and the coloring is even. The faceplates look great great and are seamlessly bonded to the body of the IEMs. The cable looks to be your standard Westone cable so nothing too much to comment there. The mold fits my ears pretty well so nothing to complain about there other than just getting used to something new.

Audio: 8.5/10 (Great soundstage and frequency profile minus the bright highs

Quality: 9.5/10 (Wish they would have used a Pelican case -- first world problems)

Value: 9/10 (Seems to be a great competitor to the JH line for people looking to spend a bit less and better than higher end universal IEMs)"

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #779 of 931
Huzzah!  Just got my V6-Stages (http://imgur.com/a/bonFE) today and I'm pretty happy with them.  Here's a quick and dirty review of them:

"After spending a month or so looking to replace my TF10s, I thought about picking up the UE900s but they seemed to be eh and started looking into higher end universals which ultimately placed me into lower-end CIEMs. I demoed the JH lines of CIEMs along with 1964 Ears. I would say hands down, the JH line is definitely better than 1964 Ears, but my ears weren't able to justify cost of JH16s for the marginal difference between the V6s.

Overall, the soundstage is great as there is definitely separation of instruments with what feels like a 3D soundstage. It's hard to describe but it's definitely something I haven't heard in universal IEMs before; feels like it's centering in my head and flowing out to the ears with peaks inbetween where as I find most IEMs to balance squarely in the center.  It seems a bit artificial in that there are specific segments to the soundstage, but it's not a bad thing?  If I had to tweak them a bit more, it would be nice if it was a bit more blended.

The bass is definitely present compared to the V6, but not as much as the JH16. (In terms of quality/oomph versus just quantity). I would say the bass is more responsive than the TF10s as well. Mids are certainly more present and forward, but they don't overpower the highs and bass. The highs, I am very surprised on, as they're pretty bright for what the V6-Stage should be; just under the point of sibilance for me which I'm not a huge fan of. (Mostly in the 6K/12K range) I've emailed 1964 Ears asking about this for more information which they'll hopefully get back to me about. Traditionally, I've always appreciated a darker high so this may just be shell shock and will need to ease myself into it via EQ.

Quality-wise, no bubbles in the mold and the coloring is even. The faceplates look great great and are seamlessly bonded to the body of the IEMs. The cable looks to be your standard Westone cable so nothing too much to comment there. The mold fits my ears pretty well so nothing to complain about there other than just getting used to something new.

Audio: 8.5/10 (Great soundstage and frequency profile minus the bright highs

Quality: 9.5/10 (Wish they would have used a Pelican case -- first world problems)

Value: 9/10 (Seems to be a great competitor to the JH line for people looking to spend a bit less and better than higher end universal IEMs)"

You're not the first to comment that the V6S highs are quite bright. I think Tim also mentioned that.
Am quite surprised though considering the graph 1964 provided in comparison to the V6 shows the highs for V6S much lower than the V6.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #780 of 931
I think it's more about expectation. I think most people expected it to be an improved Quads or along those lines when that wasn't the plan although one could certainly think that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back