1964 EARS V6 Thread
Aug 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #721 of 931
FedEx is the best overall mail service in my area; I can rely on them to promptly deliver international and domestic parcels without any problems. Maybe you just have a poor local office. Or it may just be Baltimore :wink:

From what I've seen, FedEx takes their complaints seriously. If you **** and moan long enough, they will make changes.

Edit: Your V6 will be worth the wait. I hope you enjoy them.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #723 of 931
I think for most international countries, USPS is the worse out of the rest listed :p

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #725 of 931
Guys,

Anybody compared V6 vs JH13 fp?
Thanks

I've read a few who mentioned the JH13fp being better than the V6, but don't forget they cost almost 2x the price.
Whether the SQ justifies the big price jump is a diff story.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #726 of 931
As far as I am aware, Steve Guttenberg is the only one who has compared the two, and he is always out to lunch. He said something to the effect of Jh13s sounding more refined, but he couldn't explain how. Save your money and support a cool, humble, geeky Russian guy from Portland (Vitaliy) rather than a tattooed rock-star hobnobber from LA that takes himself too seriously (Jerry).

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #727 of 931
Ok, all complaining about FedEx aside, Day 3 arrived and they let me have my package.  They are beautiful.  And so far the fit seems great.  I was picking them up on the way to the Dr. for a nose and throat infection, so I don't want that to color my fit opinoin.  So far the only issue I have is don't eat pringles with the monitors in when you left ear is a bit sore from an infection.  Obviously this is not exactly general advice and I hope I never need to heed it again.

On my introductory listen, they sound great, the "wow" factor I was looking for over my TF10's.  Surprisingly they seem to have more bass than my HD650's.  I was using my E17 at volume 28 with the treble and +2 and the Bass at +4, a set that matched the sound of my former Schiit Valhalla pretty well.  The V6's are coming in at 17 volume, and +0 on the treble and bass.  The +4 bass was overpowering, which I thought was interesting from the above post that people think the V6 is more like an HD600 and the V6-S will be more like the HD650.  Personally, I think the V6 has more bass presense than the HD650.  OF course the relative relationship might be accurate.

So far some Rodrigo y Gabriela, Daft Punk, and Prince (cream) have me very happy.  It's going to take a while to see how they do with all the music I have...  And I still need to listen on the iPhone instead of the E17 off a laptop.

More to come...

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #728 of 931
Quote:
Guys,

Anybody compared V6 vs JH13 fp?
Thanks

http://audio-head.com/1964-ears-v6-review/

In this review he actually compares them to the JH16. He states the JH16 are smoother but at half the price well worth it. He states "90% of the performance at 50% of the cost". I imagine then the gap would be even smaller between the V6 and JH13.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #729 of 931
Quote:

http://audio-head.com/1964-ears-v6-review/

In this review he actually compares them to the JH16. He states the JH16 are smoother but at half the price well worth it. He states "90% of the performance at 50% of the cost". I imagine then the gap would be even smaller between the V6 and JH13.

The JH16 is not an upgrade over the JH13, it's simply a different tuning with much more bass.  As someone who has the JH13 I feel comfortable stating that it has plenty of bass for anybody who isn't a bass head.

I'm interested to learn how the V8 model will be tuned when it's eventually released.  1964 is now offering a V6 with more bass so I assume the V8 will be a different approach.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #730 of 931
For those interested in the new model from 1964 Ears, below is the question I got answered regarding the new V6-Stage and bass response: 

How does the bass of the new V6 Stage compare to the Quads? Are there some demos available? 

Here is the answer I got back: 

[size=11pt]"They use the same low drivers but the V6S’s bass is tuned slightly less. The demos aren’t available yet."[/size]

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #731 of 931
The JH16 is not an upgrade over the JH13, it's simply a different tuning with much more bass.  As someone who has the JH13 I feel comfortable stating that it has plenty of bass for anybody who isn't a bass head.

I'm interested to learn how the V8 model will be tuned when it's eventually released.  1964 is now offering a V6 with more bass so I assume the V8 will be a different approach.

Should be more bassy than the V6-S if you ask me. Probably similar to JH16's tuning since the V8 also employs 4 drivers for low, 2 mid and 2 highs.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #732 of 931
Quote:
Should be more bassy than the V6-S if you ask me. Probably similar to JH16's tuning since the V8 also employs 4 drivers for low, 2 mid and 2 highs.

That's a logical assumption and it may be the case.  On the other hand from what I've read on Head-Fi companies like Rooth often use more drivers to lend greater dynamic extension at both ends.  I'm also starting to believe that more drivers doesn't necessarily mean better, something I've heard repeated many times but that seems counter intuitive.  Custom Art's Pro 330 does some amazing work with just 3.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #733 of 931
That's a logical assumption and it may be the case.  On the other hand from what I've read on Head-Fi companies like Rooth often use more drivers to lend greater dynamic extension at both ends.  I'm also starting to believe that more drivers doesn't necessarily mean better, something I've heard repeated many times but that seems counter intuitive.  Custom Art's Pro 330 does some amazing work with just 3.

Well not really just an assumption, but also a confirmation from Vitaliy :)

The V6-S a bit north of neutral in the bass and lower mids. This is what makes it sound "bigger".  The improved soundstage comes form the 3-soundbore design.
The forthcoming V8 will have 4 low drivers. There will be a significant difference in the low and sub-low presentation when compared to the V6.

True, more drivers doesnt mean better. A good example is Final Audio Design that only employs 1 driver in most of their phones :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #734 of 931
For those interested in the new model from 1964 Ears, below is the question I got answered regarding the new V6-Stage and bass response: 

How does the bass of the new V6 Stage compare to the Quads? Are there some demos available? 

Here is the answer I got back: 

[SIZE=11pt][COLOR=1F497D]"They use the same low drivers but the V6S’s bass is tuned slightly less. The demos aren’t available yet."[/COLOR][/SIZE]

That's strange on the phone I was told the demo is available (at least at 1964 ears). Well my wife and I will be stopping by 1964ears on friday so well know for sure then :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #735 of 931
I sent them a message asking about the Stage and the V6. It looks like a frequency chart wasn't available as i wanted to know an estimate of db differences between the v6 and Stage in the midrange and sub bass area. However I think the v6 will be my next earphone. I've always been intrigued by what companies consider reference. It's always different and I would like to own what reference is considered by various companies that operate in the USA. I've had refit issues in the past so don't think I want to deal with the possibility of that. It could have been the audiologist since when I changed to a different one there hasn't been any refit issues since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back