1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 29, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #8,521 of 9,124
Ref8 and plussound exo copper. I still have a ea thor silver ii on the way back to ea for re termination.
I see.

Remember U12 is a dark warm IEM with peculiar tuning that makes it difficult to find a good source pairing.  Make sure you have your seal taken care of first and that you have a very good seal and go from there.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #8,522 of 9,124
I would agree. I would comment on his Sony dap but I don't know anything about it. All I can tell him is that the A/U12 needs a Totl amp. I use a CDM (mojo -> cdm) others are using dx200, etc. the difference I got with CDM is literally night and day, scroll back for my thoughts on that.

What do you consider a TOTL amp?

Or maybe better, which amps have you used with the A12/U12, which of them did you like / not like, and which of them do you consider TOTL?

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #8,523 of 9,124
What do you consider a TOTL amp?

Or maybe better, which amps have you used with the A12/U12, which of them did you like / not like, and which of them do you consider TOTL?

Bear in mind I don't do desktop and I'm only interested in portable audio.  If It'll fit in my bag I'm down.  I've remember hearing CDM, v5, HA2, Headamp Pico, Mojo of course and PHA3. I'm sure there's others I've heard I've forgotten.   TOTL to me in a portable amp is transparency, detail, big stage and dynamism.  A big sound, big in all directions, increased air between the instruments resulting in more separation and a big spacious stage.  A good amp makes everything more impactful, bass, treble, vocals, etc.  One of the DIY threads (I'll have to check later) has a tin amp a guy made that's supposedly class A.  Would love to hear this but kinda hard to demo something you can't get.  Nothing sounded as good as the CDM with A12 to me.  Which is why I push it so hard and why I was frustrated for so long with the dark veiled highend-less and slow sound I was getting from my A12s until the CDM whipped them into shape.  Now the CDM is warm and A12 is warm so you would think that'd be too much warmth but I can't explain why it isn't as the A12 is already too warm for me.  It's just an awesome combo, you'll have to hear it yourself. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #8,524 of 9,124
So as a proud new owner of a U12 purchased from a fellow Head-fi'er, I had a chance to critically listen to this IEM on a couple flights yesterday from DC to SFO.  Over the better part of six hours, I heard violins, clarinets, and other instruments that I had not heard on my previous (read lower quality) IEM.  Wow is all I can say.  

Next comes the DAP and cables.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #8,525 of 9,124
So as a proud new owner of a U12 purchased from a fellow Head-fi'er, I had a chance to critically listen to this IEM on a couple flights yesterday from DC to SFO.  Over the better part of six hours, I heard violins, clarinets, and other instruments that I had not heard on my previous (read lower quality) IEM.  Wow is all I can say.  

Awesome! Glad you're liking them.

I recommend the Opus#1 and the ALO Reference 8 if you don't want to spend too much money and still achieve perfection.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #8,526 of 9,124

Welcome...enjoy. It is a fantastic IEM. I have the Opus #2 but I have heard great things about the Opus #1 to echo the recommendation from Pinky.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #8,527 of 9,124
Good idea! I got a bag of 5mm x 2mm o-rings from Amazon — two rings per earpiece with Spiral Dots
ksc75smile.gif

Sorry, it is not.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #8,530 of 9,124
tangents : The appropriate thickness should not over 3 mm. 2.0 - 2.5 mm is good enough. It depends on your own ear-shape.  If it overs, ear tips are prone to slip out of nozzles. This is my recommendation.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #8,535 of 9,124

Bad photo, but still loving this combo.

Does your cable have "L" and "R" on the 2-pin connectors? (mine don't)

Some cables don't have that. I had a Plussound cable that didn't have L or R/ blue or red dots either. Just gotta find the channel by trial and error

Users who are viewing this thread

Back